Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #76
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not sure if this is a bug in the Kobo Books plugin (1.8.0), calibre version 5.0.1, a Python 3 issue or a thread safe issue with calibre 5.0.1 but I get an erratic error when downloading metadata with this plugin. The lovely part is that it is erratic which is what leans me to the thread safe issue.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kobobooks.__init__", line 167, in identify
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 241, in open_novisit
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 277, in _mech_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_opener.py", line 158, in _request
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_request.py", line 74, in __init__
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 192, in __init__
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 178, in normalize_url
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 175, in safe_encode
LookupError: unknown encoding: idna

idna? International Domain Names for Applications?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this is a bug in the Kobo Books plugin (1.8.0), calibre version 5.0.1, a Python 3 issue or a thread safe issue with calibre 5.0.1 but I get an erratic error when downloading metadata with this plugin. The lovely part is that it is erratic which is what leans me to the thread safe issue.

Code:
  File "calibre_plugins.kobobooks.__init__", line 167, in identify
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 241, in open_novisit
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 277, in _mech_open
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_opener.py", line 158, in _request
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_request.py", line 74, in __init__
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 192, in __init__
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 178, in normalize_url
  File "site-packages\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 175, in safe_encode
LookupError: unknown encoding: idna

idna? International Domain Names for Applications?
It could be the thread-safe problem. The error in the mechanize library is where it is parsing the URL before sending it. I might not have encoded it properly. Are there any unusual characters in the author or title? And can you post the full log to see what the URL and input looks like.

I've seen a couple of other reports like this. They did seem to be for books being fetched that would need more than basic ASCII. Again, I don't know if it is mishandling the encoding at the plugin end, the thread safe issue, or maybe something missing in mechanize.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #78
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked the names and there are no special characters in the title or author. Of course, now that I am trying to generate the full log, it worked 10 times running.

I'll leave it until Kovid Goyal has done his rewrite of the zipimport module to make it thread safe.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #79
josephyw
josephyw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Good afternoon, this plugin has suddenly stopped fetching metadata from Kobo for me, even as I can confirm that the book is in the Kobo web shop (I have even attempted to fetch metadata for books I had successfully matched previously, just to troubleshoot).

I have attached the log below. I have attempted to delete and reinstall the plugin, but the issue persists. I am using Calibre 5.13 on OSX 10.14.6. The only other interesting thing about my log is that Amazon has also suddenly disappeared from the metadata search, which makes me wonder if the issue is truly with Calibre.

Spoiler:
Running identify query with parameters:
{'title': 'The Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century', 'authors': ['Keyser, Samuel Jay'], 'identifiers': {}, 'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Kobo Books (1, 8, 0), Google (1, 0, 2), Amazon.com (1, 2, 15)
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Kobo Books (1, 8, 0) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Kobo Books took 0.7739720344543457
identify - title: "The Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century" authors= "['Keyser, Samuel Jay']"
create_query - title: "The Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century"
create_query - after decode title: "The Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century"
create_query - title_tokens: "['The', 'Mental', 'Life', 'of', 'Modernism']"
Querying: https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=Th...clanguages=all
failed using three divs
Have close enough match - title='Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century', id='the-mental-life-of-modernism-1'
failed using three divs
Plugin Kobo Books failed
File "calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/identify.py", line 47, in run
File "calibre_plugins.kobobooks.__init__", line 177, in identify
self._parse_search_results(log, title, root, matches, timeout)
File "calibre_plugins.kobobooks.__init__", line 238, in _parse_search_results
title_ref = item_info.xpath('./p/a')[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Google (1, 0, 2) ******************************
Found 1 results
Downloading from Google took 0.8786907196044922

---
Title : The Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, and Music Changed at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
Author(s) : Samuel Jay Keyser
Publisher : MIT Press
Tags : Science, Cognitive Science, Art, History, Modern (Late 19th Century to 1945), Philosophy, Aesthetics
Languages : eng
Published : 2020-03-10T17:34:12.514516+00:00
Identifiers : google:0IHRDwAAQBAJ, isbn:9780262043496
Comments : An argument that Modernism is a cognitive phenomenon rather than a cultural one.At the beginning of the twentieth century, poetry, music, and painting all underwent a sea change. Poetry abandoned rhyme and meter; music ceased to be tonally centered; and painting no longer aimed at faithful representation. These artistic developments have been attributed to cultural factors ranging from the Industrial Revolution and the technical innovation of photography to Freudian psychoanalysis. In this book, Samuel Jay Keyser argues that the stylistic innovations of Western modernism reflect not a cultural shift but a cognitive one. Behind modernism is the same cognitive phenomenon that led to the scientific revolution of the seventeenth century: the brain coming up against its natural limitations. Keyser argues that the transformation in poetry, music, and painting (the so-called sister arts) is the result of the abandonment of a natural aesthetic based on a set of rules shared between artist and audience, and that this is virtually the same cognitive shift that occurred when scientists abandoned the mechanical philosophy of the Galilean revolution. The cultural explanations for Modernism may still be relevant, but they are epiphenomenal rather than causal. Artists felt that traditional forms of art had been exhausted, and they began to resort to private formats—Easter eggs with hidden and often inaccessible meaning. Keyser proposes that when artists discarded their natural rule-governed aesthetic, it marked a cognitive shift; general intelligence took over from hardwired proclivity. Artists used a different part of the brain to create, and audiences were forced to play catch up.
Making query: https://books.google.com/books/feeds...ewability=none
No results found, retrying without sub-title
Making query: https://books.google.com/books/feeds...ewability=none

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Amazon.com (1, 2, 15) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.2236919403076172
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.88 Safari/537.36 Edg/87.0.664.66
Server: auto
Making google query: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ment...www.amazon.com
Ignoring div with no descendant
Failed to find any results on results page, with title: Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, Music Changed at Turn of Twentieth Century Samuel Jay Keyser site:www.amazon.com - Google Search
No search engine results for terms: Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, Music Changed at Turn of Twentieth Century Samuel Jay Keyser
Trying the bing search engine instead
Making bing query: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Mental...www.amazon.com
Failed to find any results on results page, with title: Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, Music Changed at Turn of Twentieth Century Samuel Jay Keyser site:www.amazon.com - Bing
No search engine results for terms: Mental Life of Modernism: Why Poetry, Painting, Music Changed at Turn of Twentieth Century Samuel Jay Keyser
No matches found with query: ['Mental', 'Life', 'of', 'Modernism:', 'Why', 'Poetry,', 'Painting,', 'Music', 'Changed', 'at', 'Turn', 'of', 'Twentieth', 'Century', 'Samuel', 'Jay', 'Keyser']

The identify phase took 1.42 seconds
The longest time (1.223692) was taken by: Amazon.com
Merging results from different sources
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

Thank you for any insight or assistance you can provide!
josephyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #80
Shpounz
Shpounz began at the beginning.

I have the same issue on my side since yesterday
Shpounz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #81
DNSB
Bibliophagist

For what it's worth, I tested several books that worked with Kobo previously and no results today. I reverted back to calibre 5.11 and 5.12 and no results with either of those.

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 5.13.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click "Show details".

{'title': 'Red Thunder', 'authors': ['John Varley'], 'identifiers': {'isbn': '9781504063432', 'amazon': '0441011624', 'kobo': 'red-thunder-4'}, 'timeout': 30} 
Using plugins: Kobo Books (1, 8, 0) 

****************************** Kobo Books (1, 8, 0) ****************************** 
Found 0 results 
Downloading from Kobo Books took 1.936408519744873 
identify - title: "Red Thunder" authors= "['John Varley']"
KoboBooks url: 'https://www.kobo.com/ebook/red-thunder-4'
parse_authors - author: "John Varley"
parse_authors - authors: "['John Varley']"
Could not find title/authors/KoboBooks id for 'https://www.kobo.com/ebook/red-thunder-4'
Kobo Books: 'red-thunder-4' Title: None Authors: ['John Varley'] 

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 2.06 seconds 
The longest time (1.936409) was taken by: Kobo Books 
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Old 03-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably a change on the page. I'll have a look as soon as I can.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #83
josephyw
josephyw began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Probably a change on the page. I'll have a look as soon as I can.
Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing what you figure out.
josephyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #84
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Ah, whew! I thought it might have been just me - no covers grabbed from Kobo books in the last week or more despite knowing the book is there
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:41 AM   #85
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.8.1

I have just released version 1.8.1 of the plugin. This is to fix the problems dues to recent changes to the site.

The change in this release is:
  • Fix: Change in tags around the title on both the details and search results pages.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. If there are any issues, please report them here.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #86
Shpounz

Thanks for this update
It seems to work on my PC but not on my mac where I get the following error :
File "calibre_plugins.kobobooks.__init__", line 169, in identify
open('E:\\t.html', 'wb').write(raw)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: 'E:\\t.html'

Regards,
Old 03-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #87
Shpounz

In fact, it doesn't work on my PC either.

The error is as follows:

calibre, version 5.13.0
ERREUR : Aucune correspondance trouvée: <p>Impossible de trouver un livre correspondant à votre recherche. Essayer de faire une recherche <b>moins spécifique</b>. Par exemple, utiliser seulement le nom de famille de l'auteur et un mot distinctif du titre.<p> Pour voir le journal en entier, cliquer "Afficher les détails.

{'title': 'OLIVIER TWIST', 'authors': ['Charles Dickens'], 'identifiers': {}, 'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Kobo Books (1, 8, 1)

****************************** Kobo Books (1, 8, 1) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Kobo Books took 0.8340098857879639
identify - title: "OLIVIER TWIST" authors= "['Charles Dickens']"
create_query - title: "OLIVIER TWIST"
create_query - after decode title: "OLIVIER TWIST"
create_query - title_tokens: "['OLIVIER', 'TWIST']"
Querying: https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=OL...clanguages=all
Failed to make identify query: 'https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=OLIVIER+TWIST+Charles+Dickens&fcmedia =Book&fclanguages=all'

The identify phase took 1.02 seconds
The longest time (0.834010) was taken by: Kobo Books
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Old 03-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #88
daballliemo
daballliemo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Same problem here on a MBP

calibre, version 5.13.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click "Show details".

****************************** Kobo Books (1, 8, 1) ******************************
Found 0 results
Downloading from Kobo Books took 0.7994861602783203
identify - title: "xxxxxx" authors= "['xxxxxxxxx']"
create_query - title: "xxxxxxxx"
create_query - after decode title: "xxxxxxxxxx"
create_query - title_tokens: "[xxxxxx]"
Querying: https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=xx...clanguages=all
Failed to make identify query: 'https://www.kobo.com/search?Query=xxxxxxxxxx&fcmedia=Book&fclanguages=a ll'

daballliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.8.2

Sorry, I left in a debugging statement that would only work on a Windows machine that has a writeable E drive. The worst thing is that I didn't even use it.

I have just uploaded the fix. That will be announced by calibre in the next hour or so.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #90
Shpounz

It seems to work now. Thanks for the responsiveness