Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #76
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Mine is linked. I think all you need to do is install the Amazon App Store APK in Bluestacks and sign-on through the app.
I had another look at bluestacks - it wants me to go thru a one-time set up with a google account before it is willing to play & I wanted to keep it separate from my main google account.... so I'll have to create a google account before I can get to being able to add an amazon app & account !
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #77
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mine is linked. I think all you need to do is install the Amazon App Store APK in Bluestacks and sign-on through the app.
sorry - still baffled... I have bluestacks installed & have registered a google account.

& I have some .apk files ready to test with.

But I just don't see how to get those into blustacks. I see no import or install functions & I can't find where on the PC it is faking it's android storage ?

MEMO to self - resist the temptation to waste hours figurerng out beta software !

I actually messed about with downloading ESfile explorer from google store, then with that & windows searches & eventually got the amazon apk into some programdata folder & ran it via file explorer

but even after I apparently installed it & logged in, I go back to bluestacks home screen there is no sign of it.

Last edited by cybmole; 04-24-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #78
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I actually messed about with downloading ESfile explorer from google store, then with that & windows searches & eventually got the amazon apk into some programdata folder & ran it via file explorer

but even after I apparently installed it & logged in, I go back to bluestacks home screen there is no sign of it.
Afraid I can't help. Bluestacks is a device in my Amazon app store but I installed it ages ago on a computer that no longer exists. As a side note my Ouya android gaming box I got from kickstarter shows as a device in the Amazon App store too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #79
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Afraid I can't help. Bluestacks is a device in my Amazon app store but I installed it ages ago on a computer that no longer exists. As a side note my Ouya android gaming box I got from kickstarter shows as a device in the Amazon App store too.
not to worry - t'was only idle curiosity anyway. I'll go un-install it, for at least until it gets out of beta - if ever!

I got the amazon app onto a Kobo arc tablet OK, so that can now access both google & amazon.. & Amazon will send my bought apps / free app of the day to either/both devices if compatible.

but it's not reciprocated: the Kindle is locked to amazon app store only
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #80
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
not to worry - t'was only idle curiosity anyway. I'll go un-install it, for at least until it gets out of beta - if ever!

I got the amazon app onto a Kobo arc tablet OK, so that can now access both google & amazon.. & Amazon will send my bought apps / free app of the day to either/both devices if compatible.

but it's not reciprocated: the Kindle is locked to amazon app store only
The Kindle isn't locked per se. Google doesn't make a stand alone Play store app the way Amazon does. You may be able to move Amazon paid apps from your Kobo to your Fire and they should work.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-24-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #81
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The Kindle isn't locked per se. Google doesn't make a stand alone Play store app the way Amazon does. You may be able to move Amazon paid apps from your Kobo to your Fire and they should work.

Good Luck.
Actually, paid GP apps won't work on Kindles unless the GP license infrastructure is installed. This can be done but it requires rooting the device.

What does work (as far as I know) is to buy an app from amazon on a non-amazon device where the walls around the garden have holes, grab the apk from that device, and then side-load it on the amazon device.

EDIT: Apologies for the extra post repeating what DoctorOhh already said.

Last edited by chaley; 04-25-2014 at 02:41 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #82
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Actually, paid GP apps won't work on Kindles unless the GP license infrastructure is installed. This can be done but it requires rooting the device.

What does work (as far as I know) is to buy an app from amazon on a non-amazon device where the walls around the garden have holes, grab the apk from that device, and then side-load it on the amazon device.
My point exactly.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #83
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
He made no mention that he was using MoonReader+ Pro.

However it is in the Amazon app store. You might be able to load Bluestacks onto your PC then buy it from Amazon and move it to your Fire. Or use any other compatible android device and try transferring it to your Fire.
DoctorOhh was correct. I use the free version of Moonreader+ on my Fire HDX.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #84
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Fire HD has arrived. I have figured out how to make CC open .azw3 (and .prc and other azw format) books in addition to .mobi in the kindle reading app. The books open at the beginning instead of remembering the last position, but that is an improvement on them not opening at all.

I hope to make a release in a week or so once I have worked out more of the correct (where "correct" means "works") defaults for the device.

The fire's UI certainly differs from that found on Google's devices.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #85
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Good to hear. Opening at the beginning isn't great, but I suspect that's just a matter of more investigation. Well done.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #86
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have figured out how to make CC open .azw3 (and .prc and other azw format) books in addition to .mobi in the kindle reading app. The books open at the beginning instead of remembering the last position, but that is an improvement on them not opening at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Good to hear. Opening at the beginning isn't great, but I suspect that's just a matter of more investigation. Well done.
I have finally had time to come back to this. After many hours of investigation I have failed to find a way to launch the reader app without opening at the beginning. Apparently only the internal Kindle apps (reader, search, carousel, etc) can do that.

However, I found that I can launch the book search tool giving it the title, which (as far as I can tell) will always find the book in question and show it in the search results at the top. You can tap it there and open the book where you were last reading.

So, the $64,000 question: what to do? Is it better:
  • for CC to open the book directly in the reader app but always at the beginning?
  • to open the search page where you must click on the book?
  • to do nothing and make the user use the carousel?
Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #87
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmmm. I'm inclined towards option 2. But I can see arguments for option 1 as well. I view option 3 as unappealing. Of course, it's what we have now and I wouldn't stop using CC because of it. But just no gain.

Any chance of making options 1&2 a user settable choice? Or perhaps a beta round with the two choices to help people decide? (just thoughts on how to get to a solution that works best for the greater number.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #88
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Make a splash screen the first time someone tries to open with the baked-in reader. Explain the choices and ask the user to make a (remembered) selection.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #89
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
So, the $64,000 question: what to do? Is it better:
  • for CC to open the book directly in the reader app but always at the beginning?
  • to open the search page where you must click on the book?
  • to do nothing and make the user use the carousel?
I'm not a big user of the Kindle app myself but FWIW I think that opt 1 would be rather irritating unless the user can easily sync to their latest-read position (across all devices) as the first thing they do after CC opens the book at the beginning. My gut feel is that this is a big deal to Kindle fans as it's a feature they've grown up with.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #90
cybmole
Wizard

a possible risk factor with option 1 is:
CC opens book at beginning. user curses & backs out. Amazon goes - Aha - a new latest position to sync - and changes the current pages to 1st page for copies on all other devices....