Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #76
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
It all depends on where you live. Here in the big city, they would've tried to run me over if that were me. In rural Virginia where a friend lives, they'd stop and wait for you.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #77
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Which is why I live in one of the nicer parts of paradise!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #78
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Oh, yeah; that and the weather!

Last edited by wodin; 06-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #79
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Brand new Nook HD+ owner here, with a question. My situation: I've already got two e-Ink devices and an Android smartphone for serious reading and portable email, and I don't game or do much social networking. I'll be using the tablet mainly for reading magazines I already subscribe to via Amazon, for graphics-heavy books (ePubs and PDFs), and for work meetings and travel as my new work "laptop" is a behemoth HP EliteBook. I may or may not set it up to boot into CM10.1. But I am 99% sure I will never buy anything from B&N. So, do I have to register the device? I do not want to give B&N my data and credit card but see no way to use the device unregistered while deciding whether to make if fully Android.

Thanks in advance to all for your sage advice --
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #80
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
From what I've read in other threads, to register the device you just need to give them an email address. I already had an account with B&N so I just used the email that was linked to that account. You shouldn't have to provide any credit card info unless you're going to make purchases from the Nook Shop.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #81
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Xanthe! Meanwhile I've been Googling and it looks like B&N didn't use to require a credit card to register, but now does. I guess your old account was grandfathered.

Turns out it is possible to "skip OoBE" through a factory reset, putting the device in test mode. That's where it will stay for me until I decide whether to root it. Meanwhile if anyone can give me a reason why having a B&N identity is useful, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #82
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have a debit credit card that is attached to a separate checking account that I don't keep much money in and just use for websites that I make purchases from. I transfer money into it when I'm going to make a purchase so there's enough in there to cover the cost. You might want to use something like that.

B&N does have some sales on books - there's a half-price sale on a number of ebooks this weekend, for example - so that's one reason why you might want to have an account with them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #83
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I know for the ereaders not registering means depleted battery life, not sure about the tablets but when I registered mine, using a hotmail account, I didn't need to add credit card details. I only did that when I bought my one and only app from them.

I am in the UK so not sure if its different over here.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #84
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I just registered our new Nook HD+ yesterday. I just skipped over the part asking for the credit card number. It was optional.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #85
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Turns out it is possible to "skip OoBE" through a factory reset, putting the device in test mode. That's where it will stay for me until I decide whether to root it. Meanwhile if anyone can give me a reason why having a B&N identity is useful, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!
Some reasons to register with B&N:

1) B&N Classics ... I got a whole bunch of them for free a few summers back when they had promos for them. Don't know if they are offering them anymore for free, but even if they don't, they probably don't cost a lot. The B&N Classics versions of books are well designed and well-proofed, with some exclusive and new content often added to the books.

2) Other free books ... From time to time they offer free books just like Amazon does. You will need an account to take advantage of them.

3) Free issues of magazines ... For some magazines, they offer the first issue free and then you can just cancel the subscription (right through your online account) if you don't want to continue.

4) Catalogs ... I love their downloadable shopping catalogs such as L.L. Bean and Sharper Image. Most are free and you can read them in offline mode. The only problem is that they have too few retailers participating in the program, so the selection is small.

5) To support an ebook retailer other than Amazon

6) Discount coupons/offers by email. I get these now and then and they're good for both in-store and online purchases. They usually don't include their Nook devices or ebooks, but B&N sells a lot of other things and if you live near a B&N store like I do, the promotions can come in really handy.

There is no downside to it that I can see. If you don't want to buy anything from them after you register, you don't have to!

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #86
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I've spent a little time with our new Nook HD+ and WOW is it ever nice. Fast, attractive, and huge. So to answer the question of the thread title, yes, buy one! Best value for a tablet this size (at this time).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #87
Lutraa
Well Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I just registered our new Nook HD+ yesterday. I just skipped over the part asking for the credit card number. It was optional.
Thanks Booklover! They certainly make the "skip" button on the credit card page unobtrusive and I did not notice it when browsing the set-up screens yesterday. So I just reverted back to the standard OS (which unfortunately wiped all the apps and settings from yesterday) and will play with that for a while before deciding on a dual boot setup.

Since I do not expect to use the Nook for prolonged reading (my Kindles are much better for that, especially outside or away from power outlets), and I mostly read library or public domain books anyway, I won't be spending much time at the B&N store. Presumably I could always purchase books on my PC and sideload -- I use Calibre to store my library anyway.

So far I'm liking this device, especially for $150. It has the right form factor and functionality to fit between my large smartphone, two PCs (that are both a little on the heavy side for travel), and e-ink devices. I can pack the phone, Nook, and K4 in a carryon and still travel lighter than with one of my laptops and its AC adapter. Although a bluetooth keyboard will add some weight, I suppose.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #88
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Some reasons to register with B&N:
6) Discount coupons/offers by email. I get these now and then and they're good for both in-store and online purchases. They usually don't include their Nook devices or ebooks, but B&N sells a lot of other things and if you live near a B&N store like I do, the promotions can come in really handy.
--Pat
B&N Stores only exist in the US.

Also I doubt Nook owners outside the US get discounts for anything. I haven't been one for long, just 6 months but I haven't had anything from them remotely useful in an email.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #89
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
B&N Stores only exist in the US.

Also I doubt Nook owners outside the US get discounts for anything. I haven't been one for long, just 6 months but I haven't had anything from them remotely useful in an email.
I know but it isn't clear where Lutraa is based. So I figured it could apply to him.

In Europe, do you not even get the discounts on ebooks such as this 50% off sale B&N offered just this weekend via email?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai...S_CT_HD_B-_-NA

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #90
Lutraa
Well Read

I'm a her (my avatar is the feisty little otter chasing the big guy, not the big guy) and I live in Alaska, which, granted, does not always consider itself to be part of the US. However there is a B&M B&N store 10 miles from me; I just don't think I'll shop there much unless they have a book I really want now, that neither of the libraries I have access to has, for far less than Amazon.