Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #76
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I recently had to get a new card because the database was breached at the card issuer's servers (so for example, it could have been breached at Discover Card, Visa or Mastercard.) I have and continue to use the new card issued--I've had a card there for many, many years. Some young folks might say eons.

There was a news article on the breaches for both Discover and...I think Visa databases. That is another "hole" where your card info could have been stolen.

It also could have been stolen if Amazon's servers were breached. Various retailers have been having problems with this for quite a while. No one is immune really. All of us have to watch the charges on our cards and our statements.

My mother had a waiter add and "2" to the front of a tip. The tip was supposed to be 4 dollars and suddenly it went to 24 plus the bill. She caught it on the statement.

If you like the service, get a new card and continue to monitor things. If you don't like the way it was handled or don't want to deal with the very real reality of stolen data, go to cash whenever possible or always.

Yeah. It's a pain in the rear.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #77
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Amazon phishing

The other thing that happens often is Amazon phishing. I've noticed my email account has had an Amazon phishing email almost every day for a week. It's been awhile since this has happened, but it would be another way they could get your account information.

The email comes from "orders-amazon" and says your order has been cancelled. I've never clicked on their link, but I'm guessing it would take you to a fake Amazon login page to get your login and password and then they could use the credit card attached.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #78
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
So just as a point of information.

CC info stored internally at Amazon is encrypted and not stored in plain-text.

Anyone wanting to decrypt the data would require the encryption key OR several years to crack it.

Customer service agents DO NOT have access to the full card number in their systems.

So a CS agent stealing it is not possible, and even if data were stolen from Amazons servers it would be useless without the key or years of computing time.

In essence, it's possible but HIGHLY unlikely that it occurred at Amazon.

It's much more likely to have occurred via another method...and since it was used at a physical store location it required that a physical card be made.

In all honesty it sounds like someone that works for the CC company made a duplicate of your card, or someone that knew enough about you requested a replacement be sent to their address.

I worked in a fairly high-profile job at one of the biggest software companies on the planet...thus I've been a target for this type of behavior. Trust me odds are they got it from some source outside Amazon.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post

Anyone wanting to decrypt the data would require the encryption key OR several years to crack it.

Customer service agents DO NOT have access to the full card number in their systems.

So a CS agent stealing it is not possible, and even if data were stolen from Amazons servers it would be useless without the key or years of computing time.

It's much more likely to have occurred via another method...and since it was used at a physical store location it required that a physical card be made.

In all honesty it sounds like someone that works for the CC company made a duplicate of your card, or someone that knew enough about you requested a replacement be sent to their address.

I worked in a fairly high-profile job at one of the biggest software companies on the planet...thus I've been a target for this type of behavior. Trust me odds are they got it from some source outside Amazon.
Exactly. Thanks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #80
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
you know, just 'cause your card was only recently used doesn't mean that someone didn't have the number for a while. a friend of mine had a card number stolen, only the folks that used the card waited for months to use it so it wouldn't look like they did it.

also it's pretty common that a particular spyware can only be caught by 1 or 2 antivirus/antimaleware programs - the rest just don't seem to see it. some very well known antiviruses seem to be the least likely to catch them, too.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #81
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post

Exactly. This data is stored encrypted and not easily accessible at any non-fly-by-night company. It's not as easy as *random CSR grabs the credit card number*.

There's a lot of ways easier to get the data. Like someone mentioned previously about the breaches at the credit card processor companies.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote