Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #76
developerzero
developerzero is on a distinguished road

Device: none (sadly)
Post I like it

To be honest, I rather like the look of the device. I would prefer black or dark blue for the reasons already mentioned, but I otherwise think it looks pretty nice. However, I reserve final judgement for when I actually hold one in person. Of course, I look forward to this:
Quote:
But if all goes well for Amazon, several years from now we'll see revamped Kindles, equipped with color screens and other features, selling for much less.
Now I just hope that Sony will release a firmware update for the PRS-500 & -505 that adds support for .mobi (and .epub). (Yeah, I know, wishful thinking. Oh well, I'll probably switch to a black, color-screened kindle in a couple years, and use some freeware program to rip apart the DRM of any books I buy from Connect between now and then. Screw the DMCA.)

Oh, BTW, where the heck does it say anything about Wi-Fi? All I see is EVDO, Whispernet, EVDO, Sprint, EVDO. I don't see one mention of Wi-Fi anywhere in the article.
developerzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #77
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No Wifi so far. The EVDO cost could be a killer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #78
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I really don't think it's that ugly. But then, I usually buy based on function. White seems like an unfortunate choice, for the fingerprints factor, but other than that, I don't see the big deal. There will probably be some kind of form-fitting cover available, anyway.

But I think it was shameful for Newsweek to imply that the screen can display color.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #79
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
the device looks kind of cheap ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #80
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it looks awesome.

- The EVDO connection should be Free, since the EVDO provider simply can sign a deal with Amazon to share the revenue. But there could be some per-MB unlock price if you want to download large files that aren´t part of some of the content payments networks.

- I hope it’ll read any type of open text format, reading any blogs as well as auto-downloading blogs, maybe even doing somekind of ringing noise when there is a new RSS item or email. And I hope one can read any email, not only Kindle emails, also Google Books, Google Blogs, Google News should work on this. Forums like mobileread.com should be reformated to be read on this.

- There should be some type of audiobook text synchronisation, so if someone wants to listen to the audiobook and have the pages scrolling automatically, with a pointer showing on the side of the screen if the user clicks on a function botton. Or to continue listening to the audio-book using headphones if the user is moving for example while walking between the park and the subway, and then moving back to reading when confortably seated in the subway. This could be automated with speech-to-text technology and an online database to synch the audiobook with the book.

- USB host or bluetooth connection to a full sized foldable keyboard should be possible to input text at full speed setting this up on a table with a kickstand or a leather case that can hold it up.

Last edited by Charbax; 11-18-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #81
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Great find! Here it says results: Books (88,203)

Correction: You're right, putting the search term in quotes returns 87,716 "unavailable" results.
Alas the same search of "Kindle Edition" on www.amazon.ca gives 0 hits so it would appear this is going to be a USA only launch.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #82
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have a Sony Reader 505 unit. It will be interesting to see the details on what the Kindle can do and what formats it supports. With the wifi connection and the newspaper downloads, this is going after a different market and use. But my initial reaction is that the 6" screen is too small for reading newspaper or magazine type reading. I want to be able to see more of the article, the photos accompanying the article or skin multiple articles quickly. A 6" screen is just not going to do a good job of replicating the feel/experience of reading a newspaper or magazine.

With the chiclet keyboard, the Kindle is more in line with the Iliad than the Sony Reader. I would be more interested in the Kindle if it had the 8" or 9.7" EInk screen, but then they would presumably have to raise the price to the Iliad price range. Maybe in a couple of years, we will have improved and faster EInk type displays with 10" screens for < $300. Now that will be fun.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #83
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The Sony 505 is a beautifully designed device, but I couldn't tell that from the pictures. It has the same finished, thought-out feel as most of Apple's products. The pictures of the Kindle look as ugly as its name. Maybe the real device will be different from what the pictures seem to show (just like the new iPod nano, as someone remarked). Somehow, I don't think that will happen.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #84
coffee
coffee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
http://amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_5?ie...%3Aelectronics

Giving me 5 items, all of which are "Currently Unavailable." (One of which is in the $200-$499 price range.) Looks like it's about to go live.
coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM   #85
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
A bit late coming to this thread (been away) but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem they might have is that unless it's available in shops where people can actually go and get a hands on with it, it may not sell all that well. Imaging spending $400 on an unknown item that all you get is a picture of and no ability have actually try it before you buy. I'd be leery of it if I was an average non-tech type person.
But that's exactly the situation that many (most??) potential eBook buyers (i.e. those outside the US) are in right now!

As for the Kindle looks, it doesn't appeal to me, but my kids quite liked it in a retro kind of way - so maybe it will have some appeal to high-school or university students. Looks aren't everything (a 2lb lump hammer isn't going to win a beauty contest) and as long as it's functional and robust it'll do the job. Maybe it will look better in the flesh - but unless folks can get their hands on it I suspect they won't buy from the pictures alone.

I'm curious though, about how they'll justify the price point - more than both the Cybook and Sony readers - and as an aside, are e-ink refresh rates good enough for the Kindle to be used as an mobile email reader? I was just thinking that if you had 20-odd emails to plough through, the delay between page turns could get to be a pain in the neck - as well as a drain on battery life.

Still, look forward to reading the hands-on review - any time you're ready gents!

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #86
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
http://amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_5?ie...%3Aelectronics

Giving me 5 items, all of which are "Currently Unavailable." (One of which is in the $200-$499 price range.) Looks like it's about to go live.
Look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16229

The 5 items are:
  • Amazon Kindle
  • Amazon Kindle USB Cable
  • Amazon Kindle Battery
  • Amazon Kindle Power Adapter
  • Amazon Kindle Book Cover
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 AM   #87
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
As for the Kindle looks, it doesn't appeal to me, but my kids quite liked it in a retro kind of way - so maybe it will have some appeal to high-school or university students.
Well, speaking as a university student, I think, that the Kindle is ugly and that Amazon's design team would have had quite a number of difficulties to design an even more ugly device.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 AM   #88
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
kezza
Quote:
dedicated readers are great because they don't do anything but display books. They don't distract you with incoming messages, potential wikipedia searches, stores for browsing, etc. I'd rather use my computer to do all those things on a nice, full-color, fast display. And I don't like reading on my computer because there are so many distractions. It looks to me like the kindle is doing nothing very well, since it will be a sub-standard browsing and email device, and a sub-standard reader. Bleh.
I agree with that.

mogui
Quote:
would you date a super ugly girl who was super nice and super great in bed over a pretty one who wasn't so great in bed ?
Quote:
Actually, yes
Beauty is only the honey-trap packaging. It is there to attract you and hold you long enough to procreate. Your feelings will change as your oxytocin level drops back to normal in any case. If you haven't become close friends by the time that happens, you will just have to start all over with someone else. The love hormone will only keep you high so long. Then you must have some combination of trust, friendship and great sex to keep it all going.
You are absolutely right.
But there is one but...one needs to learn about combination of trust, friendship and great sex , however if the interface is ugly...one will never learn about its features.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #89
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panurge View Post
2. e-book devices will begin to dominate when they are the norm in education, from high school (or even elementary school) to graduate school. The key is not to sell bestsellers on these devices but to get children accustomed to them from the beginning (and relieve them of carrying 30-40 pounds of books around in a backpack).
I see it as a problem right now.
When I bought my reader, I showed it to 3 full time IT tutors in a college. 2 of them are hardware/networking guys and the third one is lady who is teaching VB. The lady is reading a lot of books and always traveling with some paperbacks. They were interested in the device until they learned the price of £250. They said: What? So expensive for a device that allows you to read books? And you still have to pay for content? No way. The lady said: when I travel, I can always exchange books I have finished to read for other books. Wherever I stay there are always a few bookshelves where people leave paperback books they finished to read and may take a few to continue my journey. All of this almost for free because all I have to pay is for the few paperback books I have at the beginning of my journey.

If I could not convince IT tutors in the convenience of eInk reading device, I don't see how it will be possible in the near future, say 5 years at least to convince anyone else in the education.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #90
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
mogui
You are absolutely right.
But there is one but...one needs to learn about combination of trust, friendship and great sex , however if the interface is ugly...one will never learn about its features.
I concur with your statement that the combination is important. There are a lot of crippled relationships hopping about on only one or two legs. And there are many quality relationships that somehow got started regardless of the "ergonomics of the interface".

Last edited by mogui; 11-19-2007 at 06:43 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote