Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #76
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I too get irritated with all the bashing going on in the forum by those who do not own the product or have no desire to ever own the product. Constructive criticism is always good to have, but it reaches a point where it becomes an irritant. Bowsd has a right to be perturbed and offer his opinion as do any others on this page. Me, I have decided to just block out the worst offenders and the list gets longer every day. Blocking users is a two-way street. Just sayin...
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I like much about Sony, but Sony's implementation requires another tap on the screen. I prefer the see the whole TOC approach.
Let's say you are reading a book with lots of ToC entries. You only have so many per screen. You still could end up tapping more where as with Sony, maybe an extra tap.

Let's take a James Patterson book. There are over 100 chapters usually. So if you want to get to chapter 99 in part 4, you have to tap until you get there and then maybe tap till you get to the chapter you want. With Sony, if I know it's in Part 4 that I want, I tap that then maybe a few taps at most to get to the chapter I want and tap, I'm there. And with Sony, it's a lot neater looking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are things about every reader I've read about/tried out/owned that need improving or fixing. Not a single reader is perfect. They all have their own issues. Now, if I was to take the best features of most of the readers and combine them into one, I'd have a winner for sure. But that isn't going to happen.

And as the saying goes, you buy a reader for what it does now and don't expect a firmware update. If one comes along great. But if not, remember that's how you bought it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #79
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I guess my question to you is , If the nook doesn't meet your needs and it really is a bad purchase for you, then why not sell it and get something different.?

this isn't a snarky question, just curious. Why keep using something you don't like?
Well, I don't have a Nook Touch to sell. I thought about buying one, but thanks to the quibbles posted in this thread, I decided it wasn't for me. I'll keep watching the Nook forum though (ESPECIALLY the quibbles) to see if things are fixed or changed to better meet my needs.

Every STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS GUYS post is detrimental to the searching/shopping process. Maybe we need two B&N forums -- a forum for people who want to talk pros/cons to inform others and an invitation-forum only for people who want to talk about how much they love their Nook and then they can never feel 'challenged' by someone pointing out something they don't like.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #80
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I too get irritated with all the bashing going on in the forum by those who do not own the product or have no desire to ever own the product. Constructive criticism is always good to have, but it reaches a point where it becomes an irritant. Bowsd has a right to be perturbed and offer his opinion as do any others on this page. Me, I have decided to just block out the worst offenders and the list gets longer every day. Blocking users is a two-way street. Just sayin...
Yeah, but what is a "legitimate" bash and what isn't is subjective. I think Mobile Read has asked us to discuss things politely, and I don't consider calling anyone who disagrees with you a KINDLE FANBOI is constructive.

As you say, blocking is a two-way street -- if you think I or someone else is just bashing the Nook to bash on it, please feel free to put me on Ignore. You can even tell me you're putting me on Ignore -- won't hurt my feelings none.

But I'm going to continue to discuss the Nook line how I see fit. I bought a Nook Classic and a Nook Color at full price each, so I figure I've earned the right to discuss what I do/don't like about them. If you think my (or anyone else's) points are tiresome, Ignore me.
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #81
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Well, I don't have a Nook Touch to sell. I thought about buying one, but thanks to the quibbles posted in this thread, I decided it wasn't for me. I'll keep watching the Nook forum though (ESPECIALLY the quibbles) to see if things are fixed or changed to better meet my needs.

Every STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS GUYS post is detrimental to the searching/shopping process. Maybe we need two B&N forums -- a forum for people who want to talk pros/cons to inform others and an invitation-forum only for people who want to talk about how much they love their Nook and then they can never feel 'challenged' by someone pointing out something they don't like.
Nobody is saying don't talk about this or that but to complain if it doesn't start your car or if the left margin should be .00008 of inch more to the left, it becomes whatever. Or complain about lack of features when it never claimed to have them or is marketed towareds them, you should expect a little recourse. To go back to the Civic Lexus analogy. If you bought a civic are you going to see out a Honda Civic Forum and complain because the seats don't have a warmer built in or the complain because it can't go from 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds?

Real issues brought up are good. For example Scion brining up the issue of the syncing with the new Nook touch. This is good, bring it up and let's get a fix . But I'm sorry, the "I think it's worthless because , it doesn't tie my shoes" should expect a little bit of a response.

let me ask you this what do you think the response would be if I went into the kindle forum and everyday I wrote about how ugly I think the kindles are, how can they not have ePub?, how their organziation of books stinks.

and what if I was in the Sony subforum and wrote everyday "Sony has the worst bookstore platform, Sony's prices are the worst. Sony doesn't have wireless downloading. It's the worst.

Now what type of reaction do you think I would get from the kindle and sony owners? Be honest.

Last edited by boswd; 06-07-2011 at 11:27 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #82
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Nobody is saying don't talk about this or that but to complain if it doesn't start your car or if the left margin should be .00008 of inch more to the left, it becomes whatever.
Well, when I see someone complaining about the car-starting thing, I'll let them know. I'm pretty sure that of all the complaints in this thread, at least one other reader on the market offered that option. So people are basically comparing and contrasting -- which is what reviews and reviewers do. (I'm a reviewer, I should know. )

But thanks for the in-good-faith strawman.

Quote:
and what if I was in the Sony subforum and wrote everyday "Sony has the worst bookstore platform, Sony's prices are the worst. Sony doesn't have wireless downloading. It's the worst.
I bought a Sony a couple of days ago. I completely agree with this (well, I think it has wireless downloading and so that's wrong, but whatevs -- I hate the Sony store). Certainly don't feel like you're questioning my purchasing judgment -- and wouldn't care if you were. I'm not emotionally attached to my precious Sony or anything -- it has flaws, those flaws didn't matter to me, but they WILL matter to someone else, so they're worth pointing out for the customers' sakes.

Complain away -- here or in the Sony forum, makes no difference to me.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #83
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, when I see someone complaining about the car-starting thing, I'll let them know.

I'm pretty sure that of all the complaints in this thread, at least one other reader on the market offered that option. So people are basically comparing and contrasting.

But thanks for the in-good-faith strawman.

I bought a Sony a couple of days ago. I completely agree with this (well, I think it has wireless downloading and so that's wrong, but whatevs -- I hate the Sony store). Certainly don't feel like you're questioning my purchasing judgment -- and wouldn't care if you were. Complain away -- here or in the Sony forum, makes no difference to me.

No I wasn't calling you out on your purchase judgment, if you noticed I also included going on the Kindle forum everyday to complain of their shortcomings. I said Sony and Kindle since they are the two other major ebook readers.

and again what do you think would be the reaction of the kindle and sony forum members if I did go on everyday to complain about what I don't like about their devices?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #84
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Now what type of reaction do you think I would get from the kindle and sony owners? Be honest.
Which ones? We're not an amorphous mass. You and I are both Nook owners and we STRONGLY disagree about appropriate behavior in the Nook forum. I'm also a Sony owner. I wouldn't mind you pointing out flaws on the Sony platform, but yeah, there's probably a Sony Troll in the Sony Forum. From where I stand, the Nook Forum isn't troll-free either.

Your argument seems to be "The Sony Trolls would be rude to me for bashing on Sony readers, so I should be able to be rude to people for bashing on Nook readers."
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #85
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Which ones? We're not an amorphous mass. You and I are both Nook owners and we STRONGLY disagree about appropriate behavior in the Nook forum. I'm also a Sony owner. I wouldn't mind you pointing out flaws on the Sony platform, but yeah, there's probably a Sony Troll in the Sony Forum. From where I stand, the Nook Forum isn't troll-free either.

Your argument seems to be "The Sony Trolls would be rude to me for bashing on Sony readers, so I should be able to be rude to people for bashing on Nook readers."
You have a double standard going on here You are saying you should be allowed to voice your complaint's ( which you should) but don't you dare question your complaint or challenge them? I don't get it.

and it's not just about pointing out flaws, If I have 0 intention of buying a kindle yet I go on the kindle board to tell them how ugly their device is or the fact they don't have ePub.

Members would be like " then why are you here? "
That's my point, why are kindle owners and sony owner trolling the nook forum to point out it's flaws but have no intention of buying one.
Do you see what I mean?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #86
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD

It would be nice to just come on to the Nook forum to discuss the Nook, help people that are having problems, provide information to those who are seeking it, instead of having to get side-tracked in most every thread about the inadequacies of the device. I looked through previous threads and though they started with good promise, they were mostly derailed one way or other. It should be expected that there will be differing opinions, but there are some that bring up the same things in numerous threads. This is what bothers me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #87
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Saw the Touch in stores yesterday. My biggest gripe is the font size settings. I believe there are 7 - I'll number them from 1 to 7 with 1 being the smallest and 7 the largest.

Size 2 barely differs from size 3, but the difference between size 2 and 1 is very dramatic. For me I feel that 3 is too large and 1 is too small so I'm disappointed that size 2 is pretty much size 3.

Come on, B&N....
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #88
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:

It would be nice to just come on to the Nook forum to discuss the Nook, help people that are having problems, provide information to those who are seeking it, instead of having to get side-tracked in most every thread about the inadequacies of the device. I looked through previous threads and though they started with good promise, they were mostly derailed one way or other. It should be expected that there will be differing opinions, but there are some that bring up the same things in numerous threads. This is what bothers me.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #89
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
You have a double standard going on here You are saying you should be allowed to voice your complaint's ( which you should) but don't you dare question your complaint or challenge them? I don't get it.

and it's not just about pointing out flaws, If I have 0 intention of buying a kindle yet I go on the kindle board to tell them how ugly their device is or the fact they don't have ePub.

Members would be like " then why are you here? "
That's my point, why are kindle owners and sony owner trolling the nook forum to point out it's flaws but have no intention of buying one.
Do you see what I mean?
No, I don't have a double standard, because I do think everyone should be able to voice their opinions about a product. You, on the other hand, are telling people that their opinions are irrelevant and calling them Kindle fanbois, etc. You're shutting down conversation.

You're also assuming that the people talking about the Kindle/Nook/Sony flaws have zero intention of buying that product. This is also a fallacy -- people discuss product flaws to determine how crucial they are to their buying decision.

I would wave the emote at this point, but since the TOPIC is "Nook Touch Quibbles" and you keep telling us to not quibble over the Nook Touch, I'm not sure how we get back ON topic.

Here's an attempt: Has B&N released any info yet about the MyNook? Maybe that contains a proposed sync solution similar to Whispersync?

Quote:

The topic of this thread IS about the inadequacies of this device. The point of this thread was to discuss the inadequacies without getting side-tracked in OTHER threads. If you don't want to read about Nook Touch inadequacies, why are you in the "petty quibbles" thread?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #90
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Saw the Touch in stores yesterday. My biggest gripe is the font size settings. I believe there are 7 - I'll number them from 1 to 7 with 1 being the smallest and 7 the largest.

Size 2 barely differs from size 3, but the difference between size 2 and 1 is very dramatic. For me I feel that 3 is too large and 1 is too small so I'm disappointed that size 2 is pretty much size 3.

Come on, B&N....
I saw this issue as well, but it was only on some fonts. On others it looked fine. I personally liked the new nook. I have a nook classic and a kindle 3 so the changes in new nook are not as much that it would make me buy it but it's pretty neat. I like how you can add/remove the margins.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote