Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #76
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Here is my translation:

ограничения:
Limitations:
1. если книжка, которую удалили, находилась в коллекции - коллекция рушится. при попытке входа в неё ридер подвисает. но если после этого подцепить к ридеру комп по usb и отцепиться обратно - коллекция обновляется и ей снова можно пользоваться. либо можно перегрузить ридера.
If you delete a book from a collection, it breaks the collection. As soon as you try to use the collection, reader gets into an infinite loop and does not respond until battery is dead. You can fix it by connecting to usb and disconnecting: collection is renewed, you can use it again. Or, by restarting the reader (this last statement is not clear to me, seems a restart will fix the problem).

2. книжка вполне удаляется с карточки sd/memorystick, но картой после этого опять-таки невозможно пользоваться без перезагрузки ридера либо подключения/отключения его к компьютеру по usb.
You can delete books from sd/stick but cannot use the card after it, have to restart the reader or connect to usb.

I put this hack on my reader yesterday, deleted files from SD, no problem at all. I did not have to restart it or connect to a computer, reader was working fine with the card. So for me it worked great: read a book on SD, delete it, move to next one. I don't use collections and did not test #1.
ddavtian, thanks for the translation. I guess firmware upgrade may have fixed #2 since the original post was quite old.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #77
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Even an "M" letter would be awesome to indicate music playing (if letters are possible, at least).
right, whwnetever is easiest I would say.. even leaving the volume icon showing would be fine.. just something..

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #78
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
After flashing every hack works except the history. Joystick works for page flip only when in a book, no history, no up and down within a book (when I have links on the same page). "Right" and "Down" take me to the next page, "Left" and "Up" go a page back. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to do something else, map the buttons?
Nope, you're right. I just checked and I realized that joystick page flip and history conflict. I'll have to look into how to fix it. Sorry about that.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #79
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

The only problem with putting in a warning is that it will change the format of the hack files for HackBuilder. I specifically made it data-driven so that other people could create hack files which I could then just drop into the zip file. That being said, it's not that hard to add and will be safe for all the other hack files.

So, I will put in a warning message box that pops up when you select a dangerous hack.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #80
Nogg
Literate!

Warning message support added, and a warning for Delete Books is included now.
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I think the hack-help menu-option already shows that this is a dangerous hack.. maybe the warning could be changed to CAPITALS perhaps..

otherwise, i agree it should remain, I don;t use collections and I have always wanted this feature...

F.
It should be said as a pop-up whenever this hack is selected. That would get people to know what's up with it. Besides, since it is said you might have to plug the reader into the USB port when you use this to delete from external memory, why bother? Once you have it plugged in anyway, just delete the book(s).

Now, can someone actually fix this hack so it actually works?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #82
Nogg
Literate!

The pop up is in with version 1.05.

Supposedly resetting also works if you get it looping, so usb isn't the only option... I think.

I'll try taking a look, but shade has definitely delved deeper than I and if he couldn't get it working, the brief time I spend on it likely won't uncover much.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately the delete book hack sounds like too much risk to be worth it. I mean yes you can maybe delete books, but in order to replace them, you need a computer anyway. Now a hack to allow you to move a book from external memory to internal memory would be good. And it doesn't have to be careful of Collections as the book originally isn't in a collection.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 AM   #84
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Besides, since it is said you might have to plug the reader into the USB port when you use this to delete from external memory, why bother? Once you have it plugged in anyway, just delete the book(s).

Now, can someone actually fix this hack so it actually works?
I have this hack since yesterday, have deleted 8-10 books from external memory, no need to plug in. So it does work.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #85
Nogg
Literate!

Quote:
I have this hack since yesterday, have deleted 8-10 books from external memory, no need to plug in. So it does work.
I think what Jon meant is that he'd like it to work with collections, too.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
I think what Jon meant is that he'd like it to work with collections, too.
The warnings from the creator of this hack has stated that it requires a restart once you delete books from external memory. That it works is a good thing.

But, has anyone tried to delete a book from a collection and see just what happens to your reader? Does the book get deleted? It's said the collection is messed up and when you try to access that collection (do other collections have issues then too?) you go into a loop that needs a reset and a plug into the active USB port to fix. As we know, the warnings are not exactly 100% correct since one of the warnings seems to be incorrect. So if any brave soul would not mind risking his/her reader and testing this hack and reporting the results, we (I hope everyone) would be grateful to know the ins and outs of this hack's functionality.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just noticed one hack left out of the hack builder. The new icon set is missing. Would you please add that in as well?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #88
Nogg
Literate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just noticed one hack left out of the hack builder. The new icon set is missing. Would you please add that in as well?
That's a different kind of thing. I specifically left that one out because it's a separate file and doesn't work the same way as the other hacks. I'll put it on my list, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Hey diablo, did you ever try changing the name in main.xml of the icon file? If that can work, then I could just include the image in all builds and only activate it via a hack file. That would be super easy, actually.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #89
Nogg
Literate!

I just tested it and it should be really easy. I'll do it right now!

Done! Added the icons as one of the selectable hacks. This increases the size of the flash by about 40k, even if you don't install the new icons. That's not very big, but you can manually delete the kBookIconDiablo.png from the scripts folder after building your hacks, if you're worried about it.

Last edited by Nogg; 09-06-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 AM   #90
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
This is all amazing, and, although terrified of bricking my reader, I REALLY want the hack that will let me turn pages with the joystick.

My question is, is there a description somewhere of what all the hacks do? I downloaded the program, but all the terms are pretty cryptic, really.

Also, where is a good description of how to add the resulting hack file without bricking everything?

Thanks!
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote