Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #76
pejorg2000
pejorg2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I did do the factory reset - no difference, either regarding the ADE books not showing up or the problem of repeated pages in the preloaded books (Three Musketeers).

I had hoped that the update would resolve a few minor issues I'd been having, but it appears (unless these problems can be fixed) that it has instead created some major issues.
pejorg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #77
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When you do a factory reset, your books loaded through ADE should NOT be on the reader. You should have to load them again from ADE and ADE should have to reauthorize your device. This is working for other folks, so I am not sure what is actually going on. I am assuming when you said you did a factory reset you went into Menu-->Settings--Advanced and did it from there. Also, if you are seeing them on Calibre for some reason, that is not currently reliable in terms of what you see or don't see. A Calibre driver fix is on tap for that.

You show software version 1.8.1 on your device, right?

Last edited by taming; 12-15-2010 at 02:04 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #78
pejorg2000

Yes, the software version shows the update. Yes, I did the factory reset as you describe, and yes, I reauthorized the device in ADE after the reset and re-transferred the book (only the newest one).
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #79
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Here's a short list of what I've seen changed so far:

- possibility to use the eBook Reader while charging (when you connect the USB cable it will ask you to make a choice between continuing reading or managing your library - unfortunately there seem to be no way to switch between the two once you make a choice. You'll have to unplug/replug the cable - possibly ruining the battery)
- Can choose of automatic turn off or not.
- Can choose what to show (cover/not cover) when in sleep or in off mode.
- Dictionary
- News & Magazines support
- Bluetooth Sync with a Blackberry seems to be a standalone app
- Seems a little bit snappier

These are the major changes I've noticed so far.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #80
anidel
Zealot

Reset the device, re-sync'ed again, and it now works as expected.
It's clearly a bug as one's not supposed to reset her device in order to have it fully working.

Thanks for suggesting this solution though.
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #81
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a hardware related limitation in the first generation Kobo reader that was not anticipated because it did not come into play with the Kobo-WiFi which has improved hardware. Kobo staff now knows what to do in the future given those limitations. I guess from that perspective, it could be viewed as buggish.

Last edited by taming; 12-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #82
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejorg2000 View Post
Yes, the software version shows the update. Yes, I did the factory reset as you describe, and yes, I reauthorized the device in ADE after the reset and re-transferred the book (only the newest one).
And the result was that old ADE books were still on the reader? I am not sure I am understanding this clearly enough to be helpful.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #83
anidel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It is a hardware related limitation in the first generation Kobo reader that was not anticipated because it did not come into play with the Kobo-WiFi which has improved hardware. Kobo staff now knows what to do in the future given those limitations. I guess from that perspective, it could be viewed as buggish.
Why is this an hardware limitation ?
It looked like a software bug to me.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #84
pejorg2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
And the result was that old ADE books were still on the reader? I am not sure I am understanding this clearly enough to be helpful.
Sorry I'm not being more clear. I'll try to be more explicit:

Prior to the update, my Kobo had on it the 100 included eBooks plus one ePub book that I had put on it via ADE. After the update (which appeared to go smoothly, as far as I could tell at the time) I re-authorized the reader in ADE. The original 100 books are still there (though the one I've been reading, Three Musketeers, has the same problem of repeating pages that JPenguin reported with another book; I haven't yet checked to see if other books have that problem). The book that I added via ADE did not show up in the list of books at all, though I could see the epub file on the device in Windows. I also added another ePub book via ADE after doing the upgrade, and it also did failed to show up in the list of books.

Following recommendations in this thread, I reset the device; this of course wiped out the two books I added to it. I reauthorized the device again and re-transferred the second book via ADE. The ePub/ADE book still is not in the list of books on the device, but the epub file is on the device as seen in Windows.

I have not tried re-syncing the device with the desktop software; I'll try that later. If that does not work, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #85
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a corrupt database.
There was an earlier posting that the Kobo team were going to be supplying a clean image of the database file soon, so try replacing it when it becomes available.

By the way, I can tell you from experience that if you had previously synced from say a Borders desktop and then loaded the Kobo one and synced to it you WILL corrupt your database.
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #86
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Calibre may also have something to do with this. Tim did not have all the information he needed to prepare for changes for this version and make changes to the Calibre/Kobo driver. The Calibre fix will make the next release, and some users will have to do an install of a fresh/uncorrupted Db. Folks should probably stay away from Calibre until the Calibre update drops. Generally this is on Fridays.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #87
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejorg2000 View Post
Sorry I'm not being more clear. I'll try to be more explicit:

Prior to the update, my Kobo had on it the 100 included eBooks plus one ePub book that I had put on it via ADE. After the update (which appeared to go smoothly, as far as I could tell at the time) I re-authorized the reader in ADE. The original 100 books are still there (though the one I've been reading, Three Musketeers, has the same problem of repeating pages that JPenguin reported with another book; I haven't yet checked to see if other books have that problem). The book that I added via ADE did not show up in the list of books at all, though I could see the epub file on the device in Windows. I also added another ePub book via ADE after doing the upgrade, and it also did failed to show up in the list of books.

Following recommendations in this thread, I reset the device; this of course wiped out the two books I added to it. I reauthorized the device again and re-transferred the second book via ADE. The ePub/ADE book still is not in the list of books on the device, but the epub file is on the device as seen in Windows.

I have not tried re-syncing the device with the desktop software; I'll try that later. If that does not work, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
I checked another preloaded Arthur Conan Doyle book today and it looks like it has the same issue.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #88
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

I am going to try this post for the 3rd time 1st time my finger hit the power button on the keyboard and BOOM.. The second time windows update finished and rebooted on me BOOM again, this time I’m doint it on Word then I’ll C&P.
Here is the sequence I found that worked for me to get my books back and working after upgrading to 1.8.1, and this was done by trial and error.

1, Backup and Remove all sideloaded books from the device both Calibre and C&P books.
2, Reset the device with a factory reset
3, Set up the device
4, Resync with desktop software
5, Restore sideloaded books from backup folder
6, Reauthorize unit with ADE
7, Resume Reading

It took 2 factory resets on my Kobo and dumb luck on the new one that my wife is getting for Christmas, but everything appears to be working. The bookmarks on the purchased books loaded through the desktop App are intact, however, all sideloaded books have lost their bookmarks.

Please Note: I am using the KOBO Desktop App as I am from Canada, I can not even suggest if this will work with Borders products in the US AU and NZ.

Taming/beta testers/Kobo staff, please comment if you agree with this procedure or point out where it could be improved.

This did work for me.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #89
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I assume you mean backup the sideloaded books onto an SD card, which you can then use on your Kobo during these few days when Calibre isn't playing nicely with it. It looks fine to me, but others may want to weigh in.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #90
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Here's a thought on the "can't hide the preloaded books" issue.. I myself don't use the Kobo software, I installed it just for the firmware update. I did not log into my Kobo account in the software, and when the update was done, I did nothing in the way of "syncing" it. I decrypt my epubs and so I didn't need to do any ADE reauthorizing either. I'm wondering if a sync is required after the update to reset the preloaded books as unread or something, or to "fix" the database somehow. So, can people please tell us whether they have synced with the software, and whether they can hide their preloaded books?

On an unrelated note, the primary reason I've been downloading/using epubs rather than syncing with the software is that I never liked the idea of "Kobo optimized versions". I want to see the publisher's layout, the publisher's font, etc. Of course, books missing their pictures was a perfect example of the problem with that system. I frankly don't like that you can change between "serif" and "sans serif" because that tells me that the original intended fonts aren't being used. So, what can anyone tell me about the new "kepub" system? It sounds like a step in the right direction, but in what way are they being altered from their original versions? It would certainly be simpler to just sync my device, but I will tolerate no alterations to the original intended layout/format.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote