Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #76
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZi View Post
I read maybe 150-200 pages over the last 7 days and it died over night after I finished reading a few pages.
Heh! Pretty bad. I maybe overread that, but did you make factory
default? If not, do it first. And remove all books from the reader.
Then check out meta data and the proper name of all of the books.
Avoid utf-8 and everything, except ascii.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #77
jackdeth191
jackdeth191 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 (MIA @ sony laredo) / Kobo wireless (#2)
Sadly I also got a launch kobo from borders and also have the battery life of a gnat. I read one book yesterday after FULLY charging it and this morning it had the please charge me message. A week's worth of battery life my aunt fanny. it lasted maybe 400 page turns then after being put to sleep overnight apparently ran out of juice. This makes my 4 year old reader's battery life look amazing.

Currently on hold with kobo tech support and have been for 10 minutes. So far, not so good. (and no, no SD card, only added 3 books to it all epups)

Update: after I got someone she suggested exchanging the wireless kobo with borders for a new one. Will contact borders and see how that goes. (20 minutes later got sick of waiting on hold and will debate trying again later before driving the 35 minutes to the nearest borders to try to exchange this e-reader)

Last edited by jackdeth191; 11-08-2010 at 09:57 AM.
jackdeth191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #78
jackdeth191

well, exchanging the kobo wireless @ borders (even if you bought it online) is a piece of cake, I'm now charging it for the required 3 hours and am hopeful that this unit's battery will be fine so I don't have to swap again, will update tomorrow as need be.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #79
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdeth191 View Post
Sadly I also got a launch kobo from borders and also have the battery life of a gnat.
Can you let me know the version of the software on the device? If its right out of the box, it will likely be 1.7, which had a problem going to sleep correctly.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #80
jackdeth191

I *THINK* it was 1.71 as once I hooked it to the PC it said something about updating the reader (as did the new one I got from borders which is in fact currently ver 1.71) but it's no longer in my possession so I can't tell you for sure if it did update, or if I'm imagining it.

However, even if it's not going to sleep I thought eink readers only use significant battery power when they change the display if wifi is turned off (hence why in sleep and poweroff mode the kobo offers the option of displaying the book title page), so even without properly going to sleep a ~14 hour lifespan is more than a bit on the low side. I'm planning on reading a few chapters on the new model and then powering it off tonight, will report back how the battery life is tomorrow, but I can't imagine I'd get two units with an iffy battery from two different states. (tomorrow night I'll be brave and try sleep mode again )
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #81
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdeth191 View Post
I *THINK* it was 1.71 as once I hooked it to the PC it said something about updating the reader (as did the new one I got from borders which is in fact currently ver 1.71) but it's no longer in my possession so I can't tell you for sure if it did update, or if I'm imagining it.

However, even if it's not going to sleep I thought eink readers only use significant battery power when they change the display if wifi is turned off (hence why in sleep and poweroff mode the kobo offers the option of displaying the book title page), so even without properly going to sleep a ~14 hour lifespan is more than a bit on the low side. I'm planning on reading a few chapters on the new model and then powering it off tonight, will report back how the battery life is tomorrow, but I can't imagine I'd get two units with an iffy battery from two different states. (tomorrow night I'll be brave and try sleep mode again )

one of the problems was that the 1.7 firmware was waking the Kobo from sleep and turning on the wi-fi to check for updates to newspapers and magazines, and it was doing so often (although I'm not sure how often); if you're not subscribed, do make sure it is shut off so that it doesn't wake it anymore. with the recent firmware update, it's only supposed to check once a day, although if it doesn't find anything, it will check every hour until it does, If I remember what JC had said. Obviously if you don't have subscriptions, it's much better to keep it off.

cheers!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #82
IHeartKobo
IHeartKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
One week back on Classic and my world is back to what it should be. I regret upgrading but was very happy with in store service (chapters and indigo). 800 number - useless in my opinion. I will probably have my tickets answered in a year when I have forgotten about them LOL.

Good luck everyone!
IHeartKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #83
jackdeth191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
one of the problems was that the 1.7 firmware was waking the Kobo from sleep and turning on the wi-fi to check for updates to newspapers and magazines, and it was doing so often (although I'm not sure how often); if you're not subscribed, do make sure it is shut off so that it doesn't wake it anymore. with the recent firmware update, it's only supposed to check once a day, although if it doesn't find anything, it will check every hour until it does, If I remember what JC had said. Obviously if you don't have subscriptions, it's much better to keep it off.

cheers!
Steph S.
Yup, I've got no magazines or newspaper subscriptions on my reader so am keeping the wifi turned off (only reason I got the wifi over the standard version was the increased page turn speed and the possibility of a better eink display, mostly the page turn speed.) I prefer my magazines in handy dandy bathroom sized paper format (Thanks to the various deal websites I subscribe to some 17 magazines at this point from $2 to $5 a year so more would just be overkill )

As promised the feedback on #2 reader: Under almost identical circumstances as my first kobo wifi reader, the second reader is showing an infinitely better battery life (using a combination of sleep and power off and reading 1.5 books in the last 24 hrs the battery is still showing full charge), so I'm willing to believe the first unit just had a weird battery. So to me the Wifi version rates an A
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #84
baker
baker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, itouch 4th gen, Sony S tab
I had a problem with the battery initially, but after a 6 hour charge and
then resetting and a few more good charges and now the up-grades, my battery is holding up very well. I would suggest that if you have battery problems you do a long charge, reset and then charge up again a few times after a partial drop on the meter.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #85
elsquirrel
elsquirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I had this problem as well. I tried updating the firmware, and resetting the kobo twice. I did different recharges (two full recharges after completely dying, several partial recharges)
No luck, so after two weeks of owning the Kobo Wireless, I decided to just exchange it. I went to Indigo (Eatons Center), and the staff there were friendly and gave me an exchange.

Whats the correct behaviour of the Kobo? After a few hours, is it supposed to power off? I noticed that with my newly exchanged one.
elsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote