Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There's only one device I have that doesn't use USB-C. And that's my One. I use a lot of cables, and I've had zero problems with them (using USB-C since december 2015).

And you always have to be careful with the cables you buy. Unless you like wasting money on useless cables?
I've read of too many devices/computers being fried due to a dodgy USB-C cable. Yes, I know about Benson Leung. But not everyone does. I've never read of a since device/computer being fried due to a dodgy microUSB cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #77
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read of too many devices/computers being fried due to a dodgy USB-C cable. Yes, I know about Benson Leung. But not everyone does. I've never read of a since device/computer being fried due to a dodgy microUSB cable.
No, only devices that couldn't be charged anymore due to a broken USB port... That has happend to me: a matter of trying to connect that #$@#$$#@#$ tiny connector the wrong way one time too many (somehow, I always need to try 5 times before it fits... it doesn't matter if I look beforehand or not)

Or micro-usb and Qi charging, that would be even better No need for cables at all!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #78
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo's Micro USB socket is installed upside down from standard is why people have problems plugging in cable. USB C eliminates this problem.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo's Micro USB socket is installed upside down from standard is why people have problems plugging in cable. USB C eliminates this problem.
All Readers have the same microUSB orientation. So that's a non-issue (IMHO). USB-C stands for USB-Caboom.

I don't want USB-C. It's going to be more expensive. I'd have to go look for verified cables and spend more money when I have plenty of perfectly good microUSB cables. There is NO advantage to USB-C and a rather serious disadvantage.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #80
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Not so, it is exactly the same size and orientation as on my Sony 650.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #81
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Not so, it is exactly the same size and orientation as on my Sony 650.
The port is this way on every reader, phone & tablet I've owned except for the original Nexus 7 which has it flipped (ie: wide part towards the screen).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #82
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
No, all of you are wrong. Kobo has readers with the plug upside down in some, right side up in others. My Aura HD is one way, all the others I currently own are the other way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #83
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All Readers have the same microUSB orientation. So that's a non-issue (IMHO). USB-C stands for USB-Caboom.

I don't want USB-C. It's going to be more expensive. I'd have to go look for verified cables and spend more money when I have plenty of perfectly good microUSB cables. There is NO advantage to USB-C and a rather serious disadvantage.
I only have one good micro-USB cable left and plenty of good USB-C. So what's your point?

Any change in standards will cost money. And as there are plenty of advantages of USB-C (even though you don't think so), it will replace the micro-USB sooner or later.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #84
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
No, all of you are wrong. Kobo has readers with the plug upside down in some, right side up in others. My Aura HD is one way, all the others I currently own are the other way.
My bad, for Kobo, I guess all I can go by is my Aura HD. It's odd that they'd be inconsistent like that. I know I dislike the USB port on my Nexus 7 being different from everything else I own.

Aura HD, wide side down (towards back of device)
Fire 7, wide side down
Fire HDX 8.9, wide side down
Kindle Touch, wide side down
Kindle 2, wide side down
Kindle 3, wide side down
LG Volt, wide side down
Samsung Galaxy S, wide side down
Nexus 7 (original), wide side up

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I only have one good micro-USB cable left and plenty of good USB-C. So what's your point?

Any change in standards will cost money. And as there are plenty of advantages of USB-C (even though you don't think so), it will replace the micro-USB sooner or later.
Can you name all the advantages of USB-C that outweighs the risks?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #86
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
USB-C doesn't exist in my world, long may microUSB continue.

although the chances of me buying a new Kobo are extremely slim.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 03-28-2017 at 04:14 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would think the warranty would be null and void if you used a USB-C cable that wasn't supplied and something went wrong, you'd be on your own.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #88
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My bad, for Kobo, I guess all I can go by is my Aura HD. It's odd that they'd be inconsistent like that. I know I dislike the USB port on my Nexus 7 being different from everything else I own.

Aura HD, wide side down (towards back of device)
Fire 7, wide side down
Fire HDX 8.9, wide side down
Kindle Touch, wide side down
Kindle 2, wide side down
Kindle 3, wide side down
LG Volt, wide side down
Samsung Galaxy S, wide side down
Nexus 7 (original), wide side up
My Aura is wide side down.
My Glo HD is wide side up.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #89
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
A H2O, with USB-C connection, HZO waterproofing, 8Gb, no SD-card, Natural Light, 6.8", flush screen.

In short, a smaller One, with a better battery life, and USB-C charging.

But I'm not sure I'd want to go back to "only" a 6.8" screen!
Is that a wishlist, or did you read some specs somewhere?

Kobo will sell one to you, another to me :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #90
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Is that a wishlist, or did you read some specs somewhere?

Kobo will sell one to you, another to me :-)
And me! Though I wouldn't use the "natural light" thingy.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote