Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #76
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But doesn't the ".ca" website address signify "Canada?"
See duckie's reply. Just because a website store is located in a different country, it doesn't mean you can't order from it. Richwood said "... Only order...". I've read that Chapters has much better customer service during the ordering/delivery process. I believe some people have doubts as to what would happen if you decided to return a Kobo if you ordered from Chapters.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #77
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In addition, by ordering through Chapters (from the U.S.), you get a much better deal due to the exchange rate.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
See duckie's reply. Just because a website store is located in a different country, it doesn't mean you can't order from it. Richwood said "... Only order...". I've read that Chapters has much better customer service during the ordering/delivery process. I believe some people have doubts as to what would happen if you decided to return a Kobo if you ordered from Chapters.
I was just making the point that chapters.ca is in Canada. I couldn't see how duckie's reply was a contrast to what Richwood had written. My comment had nothing to do with customer service, because I have no idea how good Chapter's customer service is.

It will be nice to handle Kobos before buying when they show up at Walmart.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm quoting your response out of order because of how my answers go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
They first have to convince people to switch over away from paper and from Amazon (paper and electronic).
Convincing folks to switch from paper would be easier when you tell them 'you can easily access the library, right on the device. No need to leave the house or connect to any other device.'

Quote:
It would be good for Kobo? Is your thinking because they are making money either way, whether books are bought from Kobo store or borrowed from Overdrive?
And it would be easier to switch from Amazon because it would offer parity with Amazon's Kindle.

But yeah, Rakutan does own both and with the Aura One they showed they can do it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It depends on the device. I wouldn't expect Apple devices to be different, but, other brands can be. For laptops, I've noticed here in Australia, that each shop can have different model numbers, and the manufactor's site will have a different model number as well. Sometimes there are small feature differences, but frequently there is no obvious difference. But, it makes it harder to comparison shop, and allows them to refuse to price match.
Mainly I'm thinking that Kobo is a relatively small company with a limited product line. I don't see them coming up with a specific device just for Walmart mainly because of the upfront cost with no guarantee that it will pay off in sales.

Besides, honestly, the Aura 2 is already a step down from it's similarly priced competition (the Glowlight 3 and the Paperwhite).

Quote:
For the Walmart deal, if there are any difference with the Kobo devices, I think it will be packaging and possibly a label on the device. And maybe something in the firmware.
Yeah, if there's any difference at all, it will be here. Stuff that's cheaper to change and easier to control.

Quote:
The other possibility is that Kobo might release their next device initially at only Walmart. That is probably a good idea for them, but not for the rest of us.
And maybe this.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #81
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Mainly I'm thinking that Kobo is a relatively small company with a limited product line. I don't see them coming up with a specific device just for Walmart mainly because of the upfront cost with no guarantee that it will pay off in sales.
I read somewhere that they are now going to be manufacturing Tolino's line of eReaders (I'm guessing just rebranded Kobos) so, maybe worldwide, they would be big enough to do this.

Quote:
The Kobo CEO also dropped a bombshell, something that has never been reported before “Kobo has taken over the manufacturing of Tolino devices, which will continue to be sold by alliance retailers under the Tolino brand. In German-speaking markets, Kobo will shift its focus from selling Kobo devices to concentrating on supporting Tolino in those markets. What’s exciting is starting to work together on new devices that can continue the great success that Tolino has had in German-speaking markets combined with some of the device innovation that has made Kobo a leader in pushing forward eReader design.”
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-and-kobo-plus

(I just realized this comes from GoodEReader, so take it with a grain of salt.)
Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #82
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I read somewhere that they are now going to be manufacturing Tolino's line of eReaders (I'm guessing just rebranded Kobos) so, maybe worldwide, they would be big enough to do this.
Tolino has different type of eReaders, so unless they change in Germany only, I don't think they'll be rebranded Kobos.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #83
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It depends on the device. I wouldn't expect Apple devices to be different, but, other brands can be. For laptops, I've noticed here in Australia, that each shop can have different model numbers, and the manufactor's site will have a different model number as well. Sometimes there are small feature differences, but frequently there is no obvious difference. But, it makes it harder to comparison shop, and allows them to refuse to price match.

For the Walmart deal, if there are any difference with the Kobo devices, I think it will be packaging and possibly a label on the device. And maybe something in the firmware. The other possibility is that Kobo might release their next device initially at only Walmart. That is probably a good idea for them, but not for the rest of us.
I used to work for an electronics manufacturer and we used to make the exact same products but give them different model numbers for Best Buy vs. Sam's Club and Costco. Best Buy wouldn't carry the product if the model numbers were the same, because they'd loose sales to comparison shoppers or have to price match.

Last edited by Alohamora; 01-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #84
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Is there a Kobo device with a flush screen like the Voyage or Oasis? I took a quick look at their site but didn't see one. Assuming this partnership stays consistent I might consider a Kobo when my Voyage dies if there is.

I am surprised how much of a difference it made for me but I really like it on my Voyage and don't think I would go back to a recessed screen as long as the Voyage or Oasis are available. (I also have a PW2 for my kids and I can't stand reading on it, partly for the recessed screen and partly because of the lack of buttons/squeeze to change page feature.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #85
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just went to the local Walmart and asked when they thought they’d be getting the Kobo products but they didn’t have a sure answer. I did recommend to the manager and the reps in the electronics section that they check out MobileRead and also recommend it to their customers.

They were impressed with the MR site and I’d recommend other MobileRead members visit their local Walmart’s and pass on the same information.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #86
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Tolino has different type of eReaders, so unless they change in Germany only, I don't think they'll be rebranded Kobos.
Kobo and Tolino have entered into an alliance. Apparently Kobo will stop selling Kobos in all German speaking countries. And, according to that article (quoted above) Kobo will be manufacturing Tolino eReaders. Whether that means the Tolino line changes to a rebranded Kobo line, I don't know for certain.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #87
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Is there a Kobo device with a flush screen like the Voyage or Oasis?
Yeah, the Kobo Aura One is flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auraone.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	161916  
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #88
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Not sure I agree with you as Amazon has introduced some new features via firmware updates as well as items such as the Oasis 1 with the in case battery and the Oasis 2 which finally went beyond the 6" screen size. The Oasis 2 ability to disable the touchscreen is also new. I want it on the Voyage too.

Some firmware upgrades such as more fonts and a wider range of font sizes as well as font boldness adjustments are catch-ups with Kobo but at least they are apparently trying. Now to be truly original, how about a tablet/reader with a LCD or active OLED screen on one side and a e-ink screen on the other side.
I agree! Amazon is doing way more than nothing these days but they're not being as innovative as they were in the early years of the Kindle. I think one of the reasons is because of that early innovation. They've all but perfected the device now. So maybe my comment about them not innovating as much is more because there's not as much left to do.

The original Kindle was a huge success but is probably one of the worse designs ever. It's very clumsy with all sorts of unneeded features, many of which got in the way. Each model after that dropped a few things and added a little bit. I think once they got to the Paperwhite there wasn't a lot left. Everything since then has just been adding glamor and glitz. I do realize that a lot of people appreciate that glamor, as I appreciate my Voyage. But it's still mostly glitz.

I think I just disproved my original statement. I'm arguing with myself!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #89
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Kobo and Tolino have entered into an alliance. Apparently Kobo will stop selling Kobos in all German speaking countries.
I'm a little unhappy about this, if that's how it turns out. I've had three Kobo readers and I'm overall satisfied with them and prefer to stick to brands that work for me.

It will probably be easy enough to import Kobos from other EU countries, but I don't agree with their approach and may opt for embracing a different brand altogether. I already found it off-putting that Kobo released the 32 GB Auro One only in Japan and the US. At some point one starts to feel like a second class customer, and that's not a good feeling.

I don't see what the benefit for Kobo is. In a market like this, brand identity matters, and fragmentation of this type doesn't strengthen the Kobo brand.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #90
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I don't see what the benefit for Kobo is. In a market like this, brand identity matters, and fragmentation of this type doesn't strengthen the Kobo brand.
The only place I've seen that said Kobo will take over Tolino's manufacturing was on GoodEReads, so it may be rumor and not fact. Apparently when the Kobo/Tolino alliance was announced (about a year ago) both ecosystems were supposed to co-exist. But that's not usually how these things end up. So I don't know. I'm guessing you have more sources in German than I have in English about this.