Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #76
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would call Amazon and say that November 26 is unacceptable.
I did. They said I could cancel. Great customer service. And I've purchased over 250 Kindle ebooks...
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #77
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
My first impressions:
- love how small and light it is
- thrilled with the origami cover. Sure it looks a little goofy, but it's really more comfortable for me to hold it compared w the standard paperwhite cover. It's also extremely easy to take the voyage out of the cover if you want to hold it by itself. The paperwhite is a huge pain to take out of the cover. Can't say enough how happy I am with the origami cover.
- I've noticed the light is more blue on the bottom and yellow at the top. I can't explain it, but sometimes when I am looking at the screen trying to notice it, I can't. Other times I can. I'm not sure if it's me, the light auto adjusting, or what.
- pagepress is interesting. I'm glad it can be adjusted, because by default it requires way more force than any button should require. I set it to "low" and that seems right for me. I think I like it.
- I love paperwhite 2, but side by side the paperwhite text almost looks blurry. It's weird because I thought highly of it before. The voyage screen is amazing.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
I did. They said I could cancel. Great customer service. And I've purchased over 250 Kindle ebooks...
Cancel the replacement? I would call and ask for a supervisor as that too is unacceptable. The think costs $200 and you get a bad one and then have to wait over a month for a replacement. I would keep at it until they do it right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #79
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Attached a picture with my paperwhite 2 (left) next to my voyage, both at max brightness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paperwhite-voyage.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	129975  
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #80
globalmax
Reader's reader
globalmax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Happy camper

Arg - sorry to hear of probs with screens on some units shipped from Amazon. Try your local Best Buy - most of the ones around here in Seattle have stock anyway. Maybe there was a bad batch in Amazon's initial shipment?

Worth persevering - I picked one up at BB today and the screen is absolutely perfect. Totally even lighting, background is lightest I've seen on any e-ink reader. The clarity of the text on this thing just blows me away. (loved my old PW and didn't think Amazon would surpass it - they definitely have) I like the lighter weight and smaller size, the "feel" is great - even fits better in my jacket pocket. Didn't think I would use the bezel page-turning, but it has become my favorite thing about the reader (ok, next to the screen). Very well thought out. Xmas came early this year, for sure
globalmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #81
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am torn. I kept the least bad PW1 and least bad PW2 in the past two years, so I don't have a great PW2 to compare to. It looks really yellow next to the Voyage.

The bad:
Mine also has the two-toned light temperature (warm top, cold left bottom half, if the whole thing was like the left lower corner, it would be great) and a tiny pin prick. I also have a halo effect all around the screen, which is a bit distracting while reading. And in the daylight, the background looked dirty: tons of grey spots. I wonder if they are supposed to mimmick real paper?

The good:
I LOVE the smaller size and higher DPI and LIKE the pageturn buttons.

I have to say, I unpacked it during the day and was totally disappointed. Now, in the semi-dark, I like it much better.

Not sure what to do. I don't have the energy for another PW1 and PW2 returns game....

If the H2O could be bought in brick and mortar stores around here, I'd give it a shot for the font freedom alone, but I don't want to deal with Kobo CS.

I also received an HD6 today, that I ordered primarily for TTS, and the device is a bit disappointing as well.

Last edited by xendula; 10-21-2014 at 08:03 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #82
Drew0020
Connoisseur

If I lower the light to 7-10 is better. That's where I typically use it but I am concerned about the quality nonetheless. Not sure what to do but earliest replacement is still November 26
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #83
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Gosh Sparkle, I feel so sorry for you. I have to say I ended up booting mine inside BB to be sure I liked it and there was no default I could see. Now, I need glasses to read and my sight is not great so for me, my device looks great, but for others it may look disappointing. I can see a visible improvement in comparison to my PW2, which I am already really happy with.

I will not order the H2O because I own an Aura HD which I find too big, too heavy and although I enjoy the settings possibilities, I end up never using it because of its design, but it is a good device and I am sure you will love the H2O.

PS: yes, I see the difference in hues on your pic.
Thanks hon. I have bad luck, eh? I'm really ok with it since I do have a great PW2 that I'm very happy with. When I exchanged all the PW's it was because I so badly wanted a good reader with a light, and didn't have one, but now that I have the PW2 to fall back on, it's much easier for me to brush this one off and just let it go. I'm very disappointed in Amazon's QC though. It's simply unacceptable, especially for a "premium" device.

Glad you are happy with yours. Thanks for your thoughts on the Kobo. Interesting that you find it too big/heavy. Hard to say if I'll feel the same, but I'd really like to see an H20 in person and see how I find it. Either way, I still have my trusty PW2 to fall back on, so yay for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I can actually see it more clearly before I click on the image.

That's unfortunate. It really would be too distracting to keep.
I agree. It's very distracting.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #84
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I think I might have gotten a bad one. The top half is much yellower than the bottom half. The light looks worse than my pw2. This has to be a bad unit or something. The Belkin folio case I ordered does not do auto wake/sleep, so that's disappointing.
I have the same issue exactly. Top half is yellow, bottom half blue. Much worse than pw2. I am so disappointed.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #85
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
I have the same issue exactly. Top half is yellow, bottom half blue. Much worse than pw2. I am so disappointed.
Urgh, it's sounding like more and more people are having this issue. So sorry yours suffers from it as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #86
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's difficult for me to capture it as badly as it represents in person, but here's a try at it. You'll see the top is warmer, more yellow, and the bottom half colder and more blue.
This doesn't seem to be a random defect. Mine looks exactly the same. Amazon chose to release these devices like that. My PW2 looks much better.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #87
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's difficult for me to capture it as badly as it represents in person, but here's a try at it. You'll see the top is warmer, more yellow, and the bottom half colder and more blue.
I'm so sorry. It's very obvious. If I get a bad one I may buy from Best Buy. We'll see.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
If I lower the light to 7-10 is better. That's where I typically use it but I am concerned about the quality nonetheless. Not sure what to do but earliest replacement is still November 26
I think over a month for a replacement is shameful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #89
Drew0020
Connoisseur

I dropped my light significantly and it looks better. Still a major design flaw in my opinion but any brightness setting less than 10 the screen looks acceptable to my eyes. I haven't checked for any pin holes yet lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #90
Drew0020
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think over a month for a replacement is shameful.
I agree. Amazon quality is dropping. I realize nothing is perfect but these screens are poor and obvious especially at such a premium price.

I'll probably return this and just use my iPad Air 2 as that will arrive tomorrow.