Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2022, 09:43 PM   #76
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s such a great feeling when you decide to abandon a book; the realization that, “It’s not me, it’s the book.” Yesterday I abandoned one of this year’s hot novels, Booth, by Karen Joy Fowler, a popular author. It’s a historical novel about the family of that Booth. Golly, it was tedious and with nothing of insight or interest to say that I could see. And long! After I abandoned it, I took a quick look at the reviews and was delighted (because who doesn’t like confirmation?) to find a stinker in the NYT. The WaPo and the Guardian loved it, however.
Eek. My library hold on Booth just came through. I was already feeling iffy about it. Since I do not abandon books, the question is if I should even start it. How far did you go before abandoning?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #77
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
It’s such a great feeling when you decide to abandon a book; the realization that, “It’s not me, it’s the book.” Yesterday I abandoned one of this year’s hot novels, Booth . . .
I first read a review or two in publications I respect, and rarely start a book unless it got a rave. So when I abandon a book, as I frequently do, it really is me.

As for Booth, my main go-to for reviews agrees with you:

Quote:
If it sounds tedious to witness an author grapple with tension for 470 pages, that would be an accurate forecast of the reading experience. It’s impossible to summarize the plot of “Booth.” There’s far too much of it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #78
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Eek. My library hold on Booth just came through. I was already feeling iffy about it. Since I do not abandon books, the question is if I should even start it. How far did you go before abandoning?
The display on my Kobo said 16%. Which is probably about the sweet spot in terms of giving it a fair trial but not throwing good time after bad.

Obviously I can’t parse someone else’s taste and a lot of people think this is great, but especially given that it’s long and you don’t abandon books, I’d think hard. I’ll just say that overall, it struck me as a very pedestrian effort on historical fiction lines. The author used the topic to give it heft that she didn’t earn. That is, it wasn’t interesting on its own merits, but only because of the specter of JWB.

Last edited by issybird; 04-30-2022 at 08:30 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #79
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I first read a review or two in publications I respect, and rarely start a book unless it got a rave. So when I abandon a book, as I frequently do, it really is me.

As for Booth, my main go-to for reviews agrees with you:
That’s the stinker I referred to.

When a book catches my attention, I don’t want to read a review, or read far in one, if I think I’d like it. It’s a delicate dance in terms of getting enough info to make a decision yet not spoiling my experience. This time I erred on “not enough info”. In my defense, I checked my three usual sources after the fact and two of them gave thumbs up.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:07 AM   #80
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
That’s the stinker I referred to.

When a book catches my attention, I don’t want to read a review, or read far in one, if I think I’d like it. It’s a delicate dance in terms of getting enough info to make a decision yet not spoiling my experience. This time I erred on “not enough info”. In my defense, I checked my three usual sources after the fact and two of them gave thumbs up.
TBH, the very idea of that book sounds suspect. I'd be put off by the blurb.

Lots of stuff sells well and many people don't finish and I'd never start. Like "Fifty Shades of Grey".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2022, 09:58 AM   #81
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
TBH, the very idea of that book sounds suspect. I'd be put off by the blurb.

Lots of stuff sells well and many people don't finish and I'd never start. Like "Fifty Shades of Grey".

“Popular” isn’t persuasive for me; it’s probably more of a contraindication. But the serious press, the NYT, the WaPo and the Guardian, took this seriously. Historical fiction based on actual people and events can be fascinating and illuminating, but Fowler proved to be no Mantel.

It’s possible that Booth the person is inherently more interesting to Americans. In any case, dragging Fifty Shades into this as a point of comparison is absurd at best.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't like Mantel either We do have a couple in the house from a Charity Shop.

But obviously Booth and Fifty have nothing in common. It was only a bad example of how popular is meaningless. Oxfam built a castle from donated copies and said no more needed. Harry Potters still only last a few days in the local charity shop but they now have six copies of Fifty.

Sorry for bringing down the tone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #83
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
OK, thanks folks, I'm saying NO to Booth. I hadn't read any reviews beforehand; I just thought a novel about JWB and his family sounded interesting so I put the audiobook on hold. But now I've read the NYT review (kudos to the reviewer for opening with a Sondheim quote!), which led me to look at the sample from the e-book version, and the writing style turned me off completely.

I'm usually more careful choosing books; I'm going to let this one go to the next unsuspecting victim on the wait list. Maybe I'll listen to the original cast album of Assassins instead.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote