Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #76
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Hey, I totally respect that Ficbot! Actually, I'd be a bit suspicious if you reviewed outside your preferred genre(s) anyways. Now one idea you could do is to pick up a couple other reviewers who are into those different genres and add them to your list of reviewers. That way you'd have a nice rounded staff of reviewers who could cover the vast majority of genres and make even more people happy.

That's what I did at Raiden's Realm (www.raiden.net) when I was the owner. There were certain types of software I enjoyed, and others I didn't. The same went for hardware as well. But my readers wanted a wide range of reviews, so I simply found people who liked the other areas of interest and had them do reviews and writeups and articles that fit that area, and in the end I had a nice, well rounded site with a nice mix of authors and opinions.

And having done it successfully myself for 3+ years, I know you could do it if you wanted. Heck, I'd stand behind you if you did. (*big thumbs up*)
Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #77
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Great idea, thanks.

As for author's comments on just reading the samples and existing reviews-and .

I certainly don't have time to go through smashbooks or any other web site and just troll for a book or two I *might* like, that *might* be well written etc.

I've been trying to find blogs and review sites just like ficbots! Although he appears to enjoy genres that aren't quite my thing.

I'd love to support indie authors. But hey, since I'm going to be forking over my hard earned credit card transactions, I certainly am not going to put a lot of work into it. And there are too many free classics out there for me to spend my time reading half a book that may or may not be good.

Is there a thread somewhere with review sites that specialize in the indies?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #78
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Steven, if you can find such reviewers, I am more than happy to work with them on a webring. My problem has been that most of the sites or blogs I have found so far just post press releases and will plug for any author just to support the indie cause. And most of the reviews on Smashwords are overly enthusiastic and not very detailed or bias-free. It has been very hard to find real, actual *reviews* by regular readers who really are sifting through the books and trying to find the good stuff.

Lynn, thanks for your comments. This is exactly why I started the blog, in hopes that people would find it helpful in sifting through the slushpile I remember from my workout video collecting that there would over time be certain people in the forums whose tastes seemed to match yours; I would look for reviews by those people and if one of them said they liked something, I could be reasonably assured I would too.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #79
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I've been reviewing books on Smashwords since I started reading indie books there last spring (link to my reviews in siggy), and I just recently revived an old blog that was sitting around without a purpose, and decided on my purpose (as shown below )

I'm honest about my feelings. When I give a book a lower rating, I try to include the reasons why in my review. Some of my reviews on Smashwords are pretty short, some are longer.

I appreciate reading other reviews out there, especially reviews for Indie books. I have downloaded a *lot* of books from Smashwords, and I have definitely been frustrated with the reviews that are all "love love." When I see 5-star reviews that just gush, I generally go to the reviewer's page and 9 times out of 10, all of the reviews on that page are 5-star, gushing reviews. I think honesty in reviewing is where it's at. People may disagree with me, and that's fine, but how can I trust that a review is someone's honest opinion if that reviewer doesn't seem to know how to hit less than 5 stars?

I'm pretty new to reviewing books (most of my experience writing is in scientifically-minded research papers or personal journals), but I figure I enjoy reading, so why not try to share my opinion? The worse that can happen is no one reads my opinions. And that's nothing new
Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #80
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And most of the reviews on Smashwords are overly enthusiastic and not very detailed or bias-free. It has been very hard to find real, actual *reviews* by regular readers who really are sifting through the books and trying to find the good stuff.
Ficbot what you are doing is great. Really great. I forwarded the link on your site to Mark Coker and will see if I can get it posted at Self Publishing Review.

The work you're doing, and it is work, is a another step towards a better paradigm in the world of publishing.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #81
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I think honesty in reviewing is where it's at. People may disagree with me, and that's fine, but how can I trust that a review is someone's honest opinion if that reviewer doesn't seem to know how to hit less than 5 stars?
I fully agree with you, and that was one of my pet peeves when running RR. I was known for being spot on and brutally honest in my reviews. In fact, we got so well known for the honesty and accuracy of our reviews, and OEM's started black listing us, because they didn't want honest reviews, they wanted "paid" reviews that shilled their substandard products as something better than what they were. So we simply returned the favor and blacklisted any mention of them, since they preferred to deal dishonestly with their customers.

That's why I tell people who are reviewing my books, be bluntly honest with me. If there's something you like, tell me what it is and why. Same thing if you hate something. Don't just say you love/hate it, and then don't give a reason. Those reviews are very important to me, because it tells me if I'm doing something right, or if I need to improve myself somewhere. So honest reviews are a win/win for everyone, and if someone doesn't want an honest review, then I'd question their motives for what they're doing.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #82
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I think honesty in reviewing is where it's at. People may disagree with me, and that's fine, but how can I trust that a review is someone's honest opinion if that reviewer doesn't seem to know how to hit less than 5 stars?
I agree, I'd rather people were honest about my stuff, how can I improve otherwise? So far, most of the feedback I have had is is either negative because they don't like the Genre (comic fantasy) over the top for the opposite reason.

I've had a look at your site and I think it's great, so keep doing what you do.

Cheers

MTM
Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #83
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grace, great blog. I am going to do some sprucing up of mine when I get a chance next week and add a Smashwords affiliate program and also some links to other blogs. The more, the merrier. I really want to link to as many people as possible who are doing *quality* objective reviews as these are the reviews that really help people.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #84
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post

I've had a look at your site and I think it's great, so keep doing what you do.

Cheers

MTM
Thanks! I'm hoping to build it with reviews over time. The pictures are for me

Quote:
Grace, great blog. I am going to do some sprucing up of mine when I get a chance next week and add a Smashwords affiliate program and also some links to other blogs. The more, the merrier. I really want to link to as many people as possible who are doing *quality* objective reviews as these are the reviews that really help people.
That sounds fantastic. I think a network of indie reviewers would be a fantastic resource for authors and readers alike.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #85
ficbot
Wizard

New review is up! I needed a short one this week because I am doing these on the weekend and this weekend was occupied by the Jewish holiday. So I reviewed 'The Adventures of Whatley Tupper.' Link above!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #86
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older
rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the review, Ficbot, especially in so little time. It's great to receive some real feedback. I'll put the link to it on my blog.

Last edited by rudykerkhoven; 09-19-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #87
ficbot
Wizard

Posted some FAQ-y stuff today to address some questions which have come up more than once. Anybody who wants me to review their book, I spell out a little more clearly what the best way to reach me is, what genres and types of books I am interested in. Next review will go up later in the week.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #88
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Posted some FAQ-y stuff today to address some questions which have come up more than once. Anybody who wants me to review their book, I spell out a little more clearly what the best way to reach me is, what genres and types of books I am interested in. Next review will go up later in the week.
Excellent, thank you ficbot, that's very handy, I know it's kind of happening here but what do you guys think about a thread on here where people who want to review books can say hello, explain what they like to read and what their submission guidelines are, so to speak... I am quite a new member but I'm happy to start one if anyone thinks it's a good idea... or if there isn't one already!

Cheers

MTM
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #89
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Excellent, thank you ficbot, that's very handy, I know it's kind of happening here but what do you guys think about a thread on here where people who want to review books can say hello, explain what they like to read and what their submission guidelines are, so to speak... I am quite a new member but I'm happy to start one if anyone thinks it's a good idea... or if there isn't one already!

Cheers

MTM
This thread kind of serves as that, although you have to visit the individual blogs. And that isn't a bad thing. I like to read a few reviews by said reviewer to get a feel for what they are doing as well as what they like. Of course, there's nothing wrong with another thread that groups a bunch of reviewers--that way we don't run off with Ficbots thread...hmm. Maybe Ficbot would appreciate a different thread...

Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #90
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Well, Dreams created an "authors on mobileread" thread that he maintains with information on each of the BPH, SPH, PTP, SP, and Indie authors on Mobile Read. Maybe he, or someone else, could start and maintain a similar thread with a list of all book review sites, as well as submission guidelines, genre info, links to reviews, and any other relevant information.

Another option is to have a separate book review forum, and then at the top include a master information thread (like the one mentioned above), and then individual discussion threads posted by one or more people where the reviews can be discussed. IE, something similar to the ebook upload forums where each ebook added to the site carries with it it's own discussion thread. I think it'd be a cool thing to have.

Now as for what kind of discussions would come with the reviews, I think that readers could discuss the quality of the review, maybe something the reviewer missed, or just general discussion of the book and/or review itself. I've seen some very lively, and productive discussions come out of things like this, where people get introduced to good books, things get fleshed out by the readers or the reviewer (or both) that ultimately help the writer get better and so on. So yeah, I see it becoming quite a positive thing. Especially for indie authors trying to get better at their craft. I know I'd gladly welcome such in depth and constructive reviews like that.
Closed Thread