Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #76
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
I don't understand "content server." My computer requires an admin password for some operations. I have tried that one. I don't think the router is the problem, since I am getting past that to recognize the calibre library, but I have also tried that. I don't know of anything else in the computer that requires a password.
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #77
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to Preferences -> Content server in calibre and check if it is set to use a apssword
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 AM   #78
jaybee
Enthusiast

Yes! That gets me past the "secure catalog" screen. But now I'm getting an error message "Error reading catalog data. Please try again later." The first time I got past that screen with the proper password, calibre was running on the computer, but the library window was not open. I restarted calibre and tried again with the library window open--still the same error message. I'll try restarting both the computer and the touch.

Update----
after restarting everything: the Stanza menu item "shared books" leads to a sub-menu "books in calibre" which in turn leads to the list of books in epub format in the calibre library. I believe I'm in business now, and thanks for the program and for the support!

PS: I'm curious about why the publisher column of many of my books says "unbekannt." I do know enough German to know what that means, but I'm puzzled by the language, since so far as I know none of the preferences anywhere on my computer specifies German. (not a problem, just a curiosity.)

Last edited by jaybee; 07-30-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #79
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

go to preferences and make sure your calibre language setting is english
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #80
jaybee
Enthusiast

Calibre's preferences are set to English. Just to see what would happen, I set it to French, restarted, and though everything else is now in French, the publisher column still says "unbekannt"!

This doesn't really matter to me--it's just curious. I have 0.6.2.
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #81
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
From prior experience, Calibre just leaves the field empty if it doesn't find the information. Have you checked if it's your sources that contain that string?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #82
nevermind
nevermind began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3G S
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmercifulangel View Post
sorry for the double post; it was supposed to be a reply to "nevermind", but i can't seem to figure out how to delete the first one and i'm new to all of this, so please forgive the inexperience of a newbie.

I got my iPhone last week and have upgraded it to the 3.0 software. Having downloaded Stanza for iPhone and my PC and Calibre for my PC since then, I have all the new releases.

While I didn't get the Timeout error, I was getting a failure to connect to the catalog. Since I was following the instructions from the original post, it took me awhile to get all the kinks worked out. The thing that finally got it for me was to put the /stanza back into the URL, and it just snagged all of my books.

So, I suppose my questions is: have you tried it both with and without the /stanza?

Good Luck!
I added /stanza back in and it's now working. Thanks!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #83
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
I just found this post this morning and I think this is brilliant. I don't expect to be getting a reader until Christmas time so I'm trying to adapt to reading on my iPhone in the interim.

As a suggestion to more advanced users, you can set your router to forward the port onto the machine running Calibre. Instead of using an IP address, you can use a dynamic dns domain name and essentially access your library anywhere you can find internet access.

Notes:
- I had to use xxxxxx.dyndns.org:8005/stanza to reach it. I put it on 8005 because I already use 80 and 8080 for other things on my network. Any port should work as long as you forward it correctly.
- Running servers may be a violation of your TOS agreement with your ISP. In most cases, they probably won't care... but ye are forewarned.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #84
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
According to the Stanza FAQ, you can use this utility to transfer files to the iPod Touch or iPhone via USB now: http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/

I've downloaded it and fired it up, and it seems to work. I haven't copied everything in yet, because I'm in the middle of converting all my files to ePub.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #85
snowflakes1
snowflakes1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
files via USB - solutions and new problems

Hey guys,

I found a good way to browse the directory of my iPhone and bring files over by USB, the "iPhonebrowser". It´s free and easy, the only thing missing is a search function.
You need a jailbroken phone for this, I suppose.

What i could not do until yet is shove eBooks directly on my iPhone, as the instructions on the Lexcycle-FAQ seem not to be valid any more:

"Note: any software that can transfer files over to the iPhone can be used for this method of transferring books in bulk. When Stanza launches, any files it finds in the folder named "/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/Stanza" will be imported into Stanza."

Stanza on my iPhone does not recognize the .epub files in ths folder. It seems to store Books in some folders I found unter User/A97E40DD-509C-45D5-80BB-8F6D808427DD/Documents/Library/1
(1 seems to be the 1st book in the folder, 2 the 2nd and so on)
The files mostly have the .xhtml ending.

Can anyone help and tell me where to put the files in or how to convert them to make them readable on my iPhone?
(The ad-hoc network connection failed and I do not want to buy a router just for this purpose)

thx,

snow
snowflakes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #86
Gaius Primus
Gaius Primus began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
Quote:
Right now, the ONLY thing that prevents this combo from being 100% perfect is that stanza (calibre is not the culprit) does not allow one to rate books. Rating is usually the way to indicate that you've read a book, and in large libraries it becomes tricky to know what you've read and what not. IRL one uses the dog-eared state of the book to determine if you've read it or not - ebook solutions really should not ommit this functionality.
Stanza 2 was just released today @ the app store and it now has this ability. There's a circle beside every book, as you read it, it gets filled in until it's all filled in.
Gaius Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #87
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
That's helpful!

I note that Stanza 2.0 also supports custom collections (like "playlists") but will Calibre be able to use this to transfer series information?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #88
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Should be easily do-able if someone can figure out the necessary XML in the catalog files. Is it documented on the lexcycle developer page?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #89
Breathlessx
Breathlessx began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I'm having problems finding my books in Stanza, both Online Catalog and Shared books. In Shared books, I can view my computer (Books in calibre [on VistaPC]). When I click it, it just keeps loading and eventually, I get a notification saying it has timed out. In Online Catalog, I added my IP address, and it also just keeps loading, and once again, eventually, the notification tells me that it has timed out. All my books have been converted into ePubs already. I'm running a Vista 64bit computer. Back in my XP Home Edition, I was able to find my books and download them with Shared Books. Can anyone help? :/
Breathlessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #90
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Probably a firewall thing. Have you passed the calibre server port through your firewall?