Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #76
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Mmmm... I'll try, but, being a programming illiterate, I need some help. Where do I do that, in the command line (c/programfiles/calibre)? How do I select the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm it shouldn't be doing that. Can you convert to HTML first (using the command

Code:
pdftohtml -enc 'UTF-8'  '-noframes'  '-p'  -nomerge pathtopdf
That's what calibre uses. Probably the HTML being generated is losing that information (an alternative way to test this is to use pdf2lrf)
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #77
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just convert the pdf to LRF and see if it preserves formatting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #78
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Just convert the pdf to LRF and see if it preserves formatting.
Will it matter if I do it with v.68? That is the newest version that works for me and I reinstalled it after trying epub conversion with v.86.

Conversion with v.68 was normal in any case. Just the usual minor paragraph format loss.

If this test is meaningless, tell me and I will reinstall and try v.86
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #79
HardBoot
HardBoot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Do I post errors I get during conversions here or post a ticket on the Calibre website?

Ok I figured it out and have put a new ticket on the website.

Last edited by HardBoot; 09-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.
HardBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #80
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Will it matter if I do it with v.68? That is the newest version that works for me and I reinstalled it after trying epub conversion with v.86.

Conversion with v.68 was normal in any case. Just the usual minor paragraph format loss.

If this test is meaningless, tell me and I will reinstall and try v.86
Yeah you need to try 86
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #81
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
you can check the metadata in a aprticular epub file by running the command

Code:
epub-meta filename.epub
on the file.
Okay I did that and it said Author Unknown language unknown. I don't really care about the language but I'm curious as to why the author name isn't showing up because I did enter an author name in Author and Author sort in Calibre before converting the file.

but I haven't added the file to my sony prs-505 so maybe it'll still show up there?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #82
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it might, but it should be showing up in the epub file as well. probably a bug. what format was the source file in?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 AM   #83
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
it might, but it should be showing up in the epub file as well. probably a bug. what format was the source file in?
the format is zipped html.

I could try it again without the zipping aspect...but I do have multiple zipped html files for graphics and the meta data needs to work for those too.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #84
Amalthia
Wizard

p.s.

Quote:
I uploaded the same file as a plain html and the program says it's zipped. and the meta data still isn't sticking with the Epub conversion.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #85
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I tried v.84 to convert some LIT files to epub and the resulting files worked in Adobe Digital Editions, but not in Stanza on the iPhone. I suspect that this was because of the 300K limit. I will try v.86 this weekend and report back (I know you are keen for feedback). I am eager to find a straightforward way to convert my LIT files so that they are available on the iPhone, and this excellent tool is almost there!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #86
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I tried v.84 to convert some LIT files to epub and the resulting files worked in Adobe Digital Editions, but not in Stanza on the iPhone. I suspect that this was because of the 300K limit. I will try v.86 this weekend and report back (I know you are keen for feedback). I am eager to find a straightforward way to convert my LIT files so that they are available on the iPhone, and this excellent tool is almost there!
There's no 300k limit on the iPhone, but if you don't have proper XHTML it might be problematic.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #87
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
It may just be that Stanza, which seems to preload books chapter by chapter, or by some other arbitary division, found the book (which was decomposed to a single 639KB HTML file) indigestible for some other reason. I will experiment with v.86 when I get a chance and see if that improves matters!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #88
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I uploaded the same file as a plain html and the program says it's zipped. and the meta data still isn't sticking with the Epub conversion.
its a bug will be fixed in the next release.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #89
tbird
tbird began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Here's an error...
What ticket number was assigned? I'm having the same problem, and can attach another problem file if that helps...

Thanks -- new user, love the idea, really want to read Wells' "Outline of History" -- if I can get this to work properly it's going to be HUGE for research for a book I'm writing on the oldest church in London...

cheers -- tbird

p.s. if interested: http://www.raheresgarden.com
tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #90
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Received the following error in converting to epub: (Mac OS X 10.5)

Job: Convert book: The Ghost Brigades
tuple: ('KeyError', u"''")
Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/parallel.py", line 925, in worker
result = work(client_socket, func, args, kwdargs)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/parallel.py", line 883, in work
res = func(*args, **kargs)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/epub/from_any.py", line 125, in any2epub
html2epub(path, opts, notification=notification)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/epub/from_html.py", line 168, in convert
split(opf_path, opts)
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 346, in split
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 67, in __init__
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 252, in commit
KeyError: ''

Log:
Archive: /var/folders/-j/-jDsIZxVGgadPlIeXo4nZk+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.4.86_Jo2i8K.rar
Found HTML file in archive
Creating EPUB file...
Building file list...
Found files...
HTMLFile:0:a:/var/folders/-j/-jDsIZxVGgadPlIeXo4nZk+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.4.86_eQHLtK_any2epub1/Scalzi, John - [Old Man's War 02] - The Ghost Brigades (v1.2).html
[INFO] Parsing -Tmp-/calibre_0.4.86_eQHLtK_any2epub1/Scalzi, John - [Old Man's War 02] - The Ghost Brigades (v1.2).html
[INFO] Detected chapter: PART
I
[INFO] Detected chapter: PART
II
[INFO] Splitting Scalzi, John - [Old Man's War 02] - The Ghost Brigades (v1.2).html (654 KB)
[DEBUG] Parsing stylesheet...
[DEBUG] Splitting...
[DEBUG] Splitting...
[DEBUG] Committed sub-tree #1 (57 KB)
[DEBUG] Splitting...
[DEBUG] Committed sub-tree #2 (167 KB)
[DEBUG] Committed sub-tree #3 (193 KB)
[DEBUG] Splitting...
[DEBUG] Committed sub-tree #4 (261 KB)
[DEBUG] Committed sub-tree #5 (200 KB)
('KeyError', u"''")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/parallel.py", line 925, in worker
result = work(client_socket, func, args, kwdargs)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/parallel.py", line 883, in work
res = func(*args, **kargs)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/epub/from_any.py", line 125, in any2epub
html2epub(path, opts, notification=notification)
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/epub/from_html.py", line 168, in convert
split(opf_path, opts)
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 346, in split
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 67, in __init__
File "calibre/ebooks/epub/split.pyo", line 252, in commit
KeyError: ''

Mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote