Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #76
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is anyone going to take over adding new devices and firmware versions to Calibre?
Jon; I'm actively working on that. If you'd bothered to read a post before your reply you would have seen that I have the updates just about ready to submit.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #77
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Ah I suspect you’re going to be waiting a long while then. Kobo seems to like the current Libra 2/Sage/Elipsa form factor for anything above 6 inch.
I like it. I'd only want the buttons and big shoulder on the bottom if it was 5".
IMO a 5" and 8" and 13" makes more sense than current 6, 7, 8 & 10.3"
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #78
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I like it. I'd only want the buttons and big shoulder on the bottom if it was 5".
IMO a 5" and 8" and 13" makes more sense than current 6, 7, 8 & 10.3"
I think the market would go 6, 8, 10, 13. But I will agree that 6, 7, 8, 10.3 doesn’t make sense to me.

There’s demand here for 5, but even that is pretty small and we are a niche group of a relatively small group so I’m not sure of the commercial viability of a 5 inch device.

To steer this a bit back on topic the Clara hd 2e isn’t for me (hardly a surprise if you follow my device history) but I’m glad it exists for those who want a 6 inch screen.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Jon; I'm actively working on that. If you'd bothered to read a post before your reply you would have seen that I have the updates just about ready to submit.

Sorry, I did miss that.

Thank you for taking over keeping Calibre updated to handle new devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #80
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For folks planning on getting a Clara 2E, are you on calibre 5 or 6. If on 5 do you also use Kobo touch extended?

Advert
Old 09-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #81
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Looks to be the same as the old clear but with a power button on back instead of the bottom.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For folks planning on getting a Clara 2E, are you on calibre 5 or 6. If on 5 do you also use Kobo touch extended?

I'm not sure if I'll be getting it, but I try not to upgrade Calibre. I am on 5.33.2.

Is there a reason why a new version of Calibre needs to be released for each new Kobo hardware and firmware? Couldn't a configuration file be used? Just curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #83
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People on 32-bit Windows machines have to stay on Calibre 5 as QT6 (and therefore Calibre 6) only supports 64-bit machines. Some people still on Windows 7 also have to stick with Calibre 5.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
People on 32-bit Windows machines have to stay on Calibre 5 as QT6 (and therefore Calibre 6) only supports 64-bit machines. Some people still on Windows 7 also have to stick with Calibre 5.
Some people on a 32-bit Windows are using hardware that supports 64-bit Windows. Also, some on Windows 7 are using hardware good enough to run Windows 10. There could be some on Windows 8.1 who have not upgraded to Windows 10. Calibre 6 will not run on Windows earlier then a late enough version of Windows 10.

These people I have no sympathy for not being able to run Calibre 6. They made the choice.

But yes, there are some not able to run Calibre 6 like those on older MAC or on hardware that's running 32-bit Windows because it cannot run 64-bit Windows.

But I do agree that there should be a way to add new hardware and firmware to Calibre 5 (latest version of Calibre 5) as well as Calibre 6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #85
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or the manufacturer made the choice. In the case of many popular netbooks running Intel Atoms, either the manufacturer put a 32-bit version of Windows 10 on them because of low RAM, or in the case of Cherry Trail chips, were always 32-bit to begin with. And yet these machines will be supported by Microsoft until 2023 or 2025. I don't think it's fair to ask grandma to reinstall an OS just to run Calibre, assuming she knows how to do such a thing in the first place.

Anyway, davidfor was working on a version of things that could support Calibre 5; hopefully people can find a way to continue that.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #86
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@PeterT, I am on Calibre 5 and do indeed use Kobo Touch Extended.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #87
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I believe it will be relatively simple to supply a plugin to enable Kobo Clara 2E support for older calibre (5 and maybe earlier). I think that KTE might be more involved but I'll try.

It will based on a plugin David had supplied for an earlier version (maybe calibre 3 or 4).

As to why the need to update the plugin for new releases / devices it's the way the driver is designed. It needs to know items like the USB identifier of each device, screen resolution, etc.

It is conceivable that all that could be handled via a config file but.... that is in many ways counter to the way everything else is done.

Of course, in the words of the mighty Kovid Goyal, patches are welcome!

Old 09-07-2022, 01:43 AM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Is that the KoboTouch348 driver referenced in the linked message?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #89
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is that the KoboTouch348 driver referenced in the linked message?
Bingo. I intend something similar for 5 and an update to the 348.

I'll have to investigate the complexities for KTE though

Old 09-09-2022, 10:34 PM   #90
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Unboxing and Kindle PW5 comparison in English by Morning Coach

https://youtu.be/Z3R1ozkJY_A

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 09-09-2022 at 10:37 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote