Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #76
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Issue with the backlight

By the way, in the Kobo Bug thread I read now that 2 more people have this problem (2x Kobo Glo). But this thread is probably no longer maintained by the thread starter due to lack of time, as I understood it.

Last edited by MeiGuddet; 06-27-2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to say
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #77
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiGuddet View Post
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I didn't find it in the previous posts.
My reader is a Kobo Aura 1st generation which is running a patched firmware 4.15.12920. When switching the Kobo on, the backlight is always on, but the backlight icon is not shown. In order to switch the light off I need to press the button 2 times: first to show the backlight icon (and also light gets a bit more brighter) and then a second press which turns the light off. Did anybody else notice this? And is there a fix for this?
My first gen Aura does not exhibit this behavior, either stock or with patched firmware.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #78
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I had the light problem and the lost reading progress problem (with some epubs) with the latest fw.

Unpatched Aura (1st gen))
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #79
gato-do-mato
gato-do-mato began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Toch
deleted. sorry

Last edited by gato-do-mato; 07-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
gato-do-mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #80
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I don't know if this is new or not, but the left and right margins on this epub are messed up on my kobo. They extend out beyond the edge of the screen. The one with no images. I opened it in Sigil and fought with the css and could never get it to display properly but finally figured out that adding a cover image fixed it.

(The epub with no images.)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40693
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't think it's an issue of this Kobo firmware.

I always download the mobi format (with images) and convert epub in Calibre.
I've had strange margin issues with some of their epubs.
I can then also "smarten punctuation", "remove paragraph breaks" and set first line indent to 1.4 and set Georgia as base font.
Then I convert the epub to azw
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #82
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I don't think it's an issue of this Kobo firmware.

I always download the mobi format (with images) and convert epub in Calibre.
I've had strange margin issues with some of their epubs.
I can then also "smarten punctuation", "remove paragraph breaks" and set first line indent to 1.4 and set Georgia as base font.
Then I convert the epub to azw
Yeah, thanks; I should try converting it from epub to epub in calibre and see what that does.

Why do you start with mobi? I've been ranting about mobi being antiquated but then I learned about dual mobi (contains the old original mobi format and azw3). I wonder which mobi project gutenberg provides? There's probably something that can tell. And I'd guess that dual mobi would be the better one to provide.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Yeah, thanks; I should try converting it from epub to epub in calibre and see what that does.
Are you using the extended driver? If so, the book will be a kepub, and the first file in a kepub is treated differently to any others. Problems like this have been reported before with books from Project Gutenberg and the extended driver. Adding a cover page as a separate file at the start is usually enough to fix it. But, a conversion will probably also do it by splitting the files up and adding a cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #84
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you using the extended driver? If so, the book will be a kepub, and the first file in a kepub is treated differently to any others. Problems like this have been reported before with books from Project Gutenberg and the extended driver. Adding a cover page as a separate file at the start is usually enough to fix it. But, a conversion will probably also do it by splitting the files up and adding a cover.
Yep. I think you've hit the nail on the head. I never thought of that. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #85
fifonik
fifonik began at the beginning.

Device: Kob Glo, Kobo Libra H2O
The bug when Aura H2O Edition 2 Version 2 (some other models also affected) does not see OpenWRT WiFi access point is still here. It was already mentioned by others:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=43
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319829

Everything works fine with factory FW 4.7.10733 or after tweaking router as per the last link.
Contacted support. Explained the issue. Was told that they escalated it.
fifonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #86
lumpynose
Wizard

@davidfor, here's another quirk; in the following book each short story has a separate title page that's 2 lines, the book title and its publication date. With the extended driver the 2nd line is left aligned instead of the specified centered. When I switched to the regular touch driver it's centered.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321071
Old 07-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
@davidfor, here's another quirk; in the following book each short story has a separate title page that's 2 lines, the book title and its publication date. With the extended driver the 2nd line is left aligned instead of the specified centered. When I switched to the regular touch driver it's centered.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321071
I'm not seeing a problem. When I opened the book to any of the title pages, both lines were centered. But, have you changed the justification settings on the device? With "Off" it works fine. With either of the others, the second line is left aligned. I rarely change this, so I don't know if it is expected or not.

I'll have to test one of the other devices when I get home just in case it is related to the firmware I am running.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #88
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not seeing a problem. When I opened the book to any of the title pages, both lines were centered. But, have you changed the justification settings on the device? With "Off" it works fine. With either of the others, the second line is left aligned. I rarely change this, so I don't know if it is expected or not.

I'll have to test one of the other devices when I get home just in case it is related to the firmware I am running.
You're right, I do have justification set to ragged right. But surely that can't be right for it to left align a line that's set to centered in the CSS? And I didn't change the justification when I switched to the regular touch driver.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #89
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
You're right, I do have justification set to ragged right. But surely that can't be right for it to left align a line that's set to centered in the CSS? And I didn't change the justification when I switched to the regular touch driver.
The problem you're seeing is entirely due to the differences in the default override CSS used by the two different Kobo reading apps used for kepub and standard epub.

For text alignment, the Adobe app, used for standard epub, uses
Code:
body {text-align: %1 !important;}
as it's override CSS, where %1 is the value you choose in the Kobo's [Aa] font menu (if it's not set to 'Off').

On the other hand, for the kepub reading app, the default override CSS used is
Code:
div, p { text-align: %1 !important;}
This is why setting the alignment to anything other than 'Off' changes your kepub centred styles for <div>s and <p>s to left/justify depending on which alignment you selected.

You have 2 choices to change this inconvenient behaviour:
  • set the Justification button to 'Off' and leave it there. You will then be reliant on each of your epubs/kepubs containing your text-align value(s) of choice.
  • use a kobo patch to change the override CSS for kepubs to match that for standard epubs. I don't remember whether you're a user of the kobopatch system but if you are the one you need to enable is called 'Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #90
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The problem you're seeing is entirely due to the differences in the default override CSS used by the two different Kobo reading apps used for kepub and standard epub.

For text alignment, the Adobe app, used for standard epub, uses
Code:
body {text-align: %1 !important;}
as it's override CSS, where %1 is the value you choose in the Kobo's [Aa] font menu (if it's not set to 'Off').

On the other hand, for the kepub reading app, the default override CSS used is
Code:
div, p { text-align: %1 !important;}
This is why setting the alignment to anything other than 'Off' changes your kepub centred styles for <div>s and <p>s to left/justify depending on which alignment you selected.

You have 2 choices to change this inconvenient behaviour:
  • set the Justification button to 'Off' and leave it there. You will then be reliant on each of your epubs/kepubs containing your text-align value(s) of choice.
  • use a kobo patch to change the override CSS for kepubs to match that for standard epubs. I don't remember whether you're a user of the kobopatch system but if you are the one you need to enable is called 'Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs'
Thanks. You da man with these deep internals solutions! I'll try turning the justification off and see how that works.