Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
My choice would be the M&M kind where the cookie has M&M candies instead of chocolate chips. You?
My choice would be really big chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Won't do. No chocolate.
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #78
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'll still buy them however long it takes because I won't be able to resist them!
...you've fallen under the influence of the dark side. Abandon all hope, ye who enter there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Won't do. No chocolate.
Good cookies don't need chocolate
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #80
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Losing my patience, sure. But, we've already waited years at this point and not too long ago the stance was no ebooks ever... I'll still buy them however long it takes because I won't be able to resist them!
Quote:
...you've fallen under the influence of the dark side. Abandon all hope, ye who enter there.
She's the sort of girl who can resist everything except temptation
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #81
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
If I was under the influence of the dark side, then I'd already have the ebook versions like everyone else and patiently waiting for the paid-versions would be a moot point.

I cannot, however, resist the temptation of cookies with Reese's Pieces (no M&M's for me please) or a plate of warm snickerdoodles would be equally nice! Yum! And I want a glass of cold milk too for waiting so long for these ebooks!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #82
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
If I was under the influence of the dark side, then I'd already have the ebook versions like everyone else and patiently waiting for the paid-versions would be a moot point.

I cannot, however, resist the temptation of cookies with Reese's Pieces (no M&M's for me please) or a plate of warm snickerdoodles would be equally nice! Yum! And I want a glass of cold milk too for waiting so long for these ebooks!
A plate of snickerdoodles, a glass of cold milk and the complete Potter series on your (oh! you have a T1!) PRS. Dumbledor using his putter-outer the day Harry Potter arrives at the Dursley's...what's wrong with that?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #83
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I want to re-read the whole series. My hardback copies have already been read more than once, and I want to keep them in good condition. Plus, my ereader weighs much less than one of those hardback books! I was traveling in Chicago when the last book was released. Of course, I had to buy it and start reading right away, and it was not that much fun traveling home through the airports with such a big book. I much prefer to read ebooks.
Same here. I've actually got two sets of the hardcovers (one set bought as they were released, the other, the hardcover box set) and one set in paperback that gets abused for reading. When I can buy legitimate copies in ebook format, I'd probably ebay or donate the paperbacks. Kinda like Lord of the Rings. I've got them in beautiful Folio editions and "disposable" paperback but still bought the ebook when it came out (not that I'm making any comparisons between Tolkien and Rowling).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #84
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
If it ain't got chocolate, then it ain't good.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes they do. Chocolate makes good cookies great.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #86
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
You have that backward. Good chocolate doesn't need cookies.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #87
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
And here on this post, some thought I was only disagreeable!

I love chocolate in any form with any thing, especially Ice Cream. The only thing better than chocolate is DARK CHOCOLATE! And there is a difference!!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #88
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Snikerdoodles. Mmmmm....

With a frosty mug of moo-juice? Sign me up.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #89
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Looking at this from my point of view (I enjoyed the books, and don't really care about the details of how they get out in ebook form), JKR screwed it up.

She waited too long. The publishers would bend over backwards and sign any contract she wanted. She could have gotten them (the ebooks) out a long time ago if she wanted.

So she whored out the paper books, whored out the movies, whored out the audio books, buy wanted the ebooks to be perfect?

The first thing I'll do with the ebooks (if I get them), is reformat them the way I like.
As far as the whoring out comment, how much control did she have at the time? She could have done the normal type contract, which gave the publishers a lot of rights over different areas, so she ultimately didn't have much say in if the movies and audiobooks could or could not be made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Didn't realize I was going to hit a nerve with my statements.

Didn't realize that Rowling was a Mother Theresa as well.

I will be a little clearer in my opinion about Rowling. She wrote some cute children's' books that by the touch of fate's fickle hand became very popular. All this made her more than an author in some people's eyes. She became an idol. Like a baseball player or soccer star.
Her comments and thoughts were picked up, researched and plucked for important meanings and insight.
Now she has been elevated to near Sainthood by her fawning public.

But remember all she did was write some cutesy, and in some people's opinion dumb children's books. I think Dr Seuss did a better job.
Part of what struck a nerve for me, is not who or what she is, but rather your admitted lack of experience with the series and the author your were bashing.

As far as being cutesy, if you'd have actually read the books, you'd see how cutesy wouldn't be an accurate word to describe it. It gets pretty dark. Also, part of what I liked about the HP books is that the reading level seemed to be on par with Harry's age at the time of each book. First one seems to be on par where an 11 year old can read it, and the final book, its an 18 year old reading level. The books were being released one a year, and the reader more or less was to grow with Harry. Really a cool concept, and well executed. That aside, how many "cutesy" stories feature rampant murder and torture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I blogged about it at the time, but I'm not happy with the "tagging" aspect. I don't like being treated like a potential criminal, and I don't like the fact that if my computer was hacked or stolen, it would be impossible to prove that it wasn't ME that put one of my ebooks on a torrent. Likely to happen? Of course not. Possible with 'social' DRM? Yeah.
There are some drawbacks, such as the inability to prove who uploaded the copies you uploaded, but with the watermarking that they've done already, they've not gone after who originally bought the book, but rather who they could catch as being the ones uploading it. Yeah, they know it is John Smith's copy, but they have proof that Bob Johnson was uploading it. The argument of "Can you prove it was me who uploaded it" usually leaves most lawyers wanting to go after the easy targets instead. Still, I'd much rather have the watermarking than the other DRM we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Referring to pastanley's excellent point, I did a quick look at Amazon for printed book prices. I don't know which names belong to which number of book so if the book wasn't listed by number, I left it out. (i.e. #3 and #5)

pastanley: "printe books are bountiful and much cheaper."

sweetpea: "... And how do you know the print books are much cheaper as the ebooks aren't even there? Also, while I do own the pbooks, I'd have bought the ebooks at the same time where they available. Simply because I prefer reading ebooks. "

Hellmark: "Cheaper than what? No ebooks are currently for sale, and while a timeframe has been established for when they will go on sale, no prices have been set."

From Amazon:
Paperback Box (1-7)
$43.46 New free shipping
(divide by 7 and it is just slightly above $6 per book new.)

Even cheaper used, the +3.99 is for shipping and handling.
Individual
1 0.01 +3.99 used paperback
2 0.01 +3.99 used paper
4 0.19 +3.99 used paper
6 2.99 +3.99 used paper (actually a little higher than in the new set)
7 1.00 +3.99 used hard

I would say that pastanley is correct!
Of course used would be considered cheap. That's kinda apples and oranges. Best to compare ebooks to new paper, since they're technically not preowned for either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hellmark, bought up the "whoring" part, and I disagree with it, hence the slap on the head icon.
Again, it isn't known how much control she had over the stuff before. If she had very little say on if things are made or not made, when something comes along that she does get a definite say on, I can see why someone would be cautious and wanting more control before agreeing something else.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That aside, how many "cutesy" stories feature rampant murder and torture?
Well, that's the spirit of this day and age, isn't it? Rampant murder and torture is normal... I mean, look at the daily news!

But I agree, I really like the execution of these books. They really were made to grow with the kids the first book was targeted at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Of course used would be considered cheap. That's kinda apples and oranges. Best to compare ebooks to new paper, since they're technically not preowned for either.
People who compare ebook prices with used-book prices, I generally simply ignore.

And my point stands. How can you know the ebooks will be more expensive than the paper books as there simply isn't a price for the ebooks yet?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote