Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #76
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Here is another test...

Open a longer xhtml file and wait for Preview to load. Then use the scrollbar to scroll way down in CV towards the bottom. Watch Preview and click in CodeView. Preview should NOT reload and should simply scroll to sync?

Does Preview Double load in that case as well?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #77
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Does Preview Double load in that case as well?
No, after the initial "double-pumping", then the file is instantly scrolled to the right place.

As for "double-pumping" in version 1.4.3 (released), it also occurs in me.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. Scrolling and syncing seem to work fine. The double-pump seems to be limited to when first opening a file. Though in case it might help, it also occurs whenever Sigil is minimized and then restored. It does the full double load and then scrolls to whatever position it was left in when minimized.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #79
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm ... in Sigil/src/Tabs/FlowTab.cpp would you please enable the followingdebug output lines by removing the DBG from each and rebuilding.
Code:
void FlowTab::EmitUpdatePreviewImmediately()
{
      DBG qDebug() << "FlowTab emiting UpdatePreviewImmediately from EmitUpdatePreviewImmediately";
      emit UpdatePreviewImmediately();
}

void FlowTab::EmitScrollPreviewImmediately()
{
      DBG qDebug() << "FlowTab emiting ScrollPreviewImmediately from EmitScrollPreviewImmediately";
      emit ScrollPreviewImmediately();
}
And let's see if two load signals are being generated by CodeView or if the second is coming from someplace unrelated to CV?

If only one, then we need to search MainWindow.cpp for other signals or calls to UpdatePreview that are being generated someplace else.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #80
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both:
Code:
Debug: FlowTab emiting ScrollPreviewImmediately from EmitScrollPreviewImmediately
Debug: FlowTab emiting UpdatePreviewImmediately from EmitUpdatePreviewImmediately
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will do. It will be a bit later on my part, though.

EDIT: thanks Becky!

Any takers on whether https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/issues/535 might be related?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-14-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #82
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes one of each and that is expected and correct. Not two UpdatePreviewImmediately signals.

So it is not CodeView first loading that is causing 2 loads of Preview.

So something else must be causing it.

I will start looking.

PS. You are opening a completely new tab right. The file was not already in another tab. It may only be when a tab is first loaded that two UpdatePreviewImmediately signals are generated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Both:
Code:
Debug: FlowTab emiting ScrollPreviewImmediately from EmitScrollPreviewImmediately
Debug: FlowTab emiting UpdatePreviewImmediately from EmitUpdatePreviewImmediately

Last edited by KevinH; 04-14-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #83
BeckyEbook
Guru

Yes. Double pumping only occurs the first time you open the file. If the tab is already open and we open another file, then return to the previously opened one - no pumping (and one emit).
This one:
Code:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #84
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I did find two other places that invokes UpdatePreview in MainWindow that might be an issue for opening new tabs for the first time:

The first is when Preview is first shown, or when hidden and shown again:

connect(m_PreviewWindow, SIGNAL(Shown()), this, SLOT(UpdatePreview()));

That may explain the minimize and restore double pump.

And the second happens when a tab change is made to a new tab here:

connect(m_TabManager, SIGNAL(TabChanged(ContentTab *, ContentTab *)),
this, SLOT(UpdatePreview()));

So when a new tab is created and loaded and then changed to (or in the reverse order) , we can end up with preview update being loaded twice.

Hmm Perhaps that is an issue once for each tab, but after that changing between two loaded tabs we would need that signal as both have already been loaded.

But all of this happens in Sigil 1.3.0 as well so I am not sure why it is causing an issue now and not then.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #85
Selenia
Selenia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I tried the same things with my AV disabled, but it made no difference.
All the tests were done without the use of the preview window (F10). I also have only one dictionary selected for spell checking.
Turning preview on further slows things down, to a point were even selecting menu entries gets slow on occasion.
I have also noticed that when I open both the title-page and chapter 12, just switching active windows gives a delay.
title-page > chapter 12 about 6s
chapter 12 > title page about 1s
Selenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #86
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But all of this happens in Sigil 1.3.0 as well so I am not sure why it is causing an issue now and not then.
I think it's only an issue now because URLSchemeHandler might be somehow slowing down Preview enough (at least on older, less capable hardware) to really make it more noticeable. That's my guess anyway. As I mentioned, Preview being loaded asynchronously takes it completely out of the equation with relation to search times. The new CodeView tab is opened and it scrolls to "cocaine-bottle" almost instantly. Same as when Preview is closed on the official 1.5.1 Release. There is no search delay at all. We just need to figure out what is slowing down Preview rendering in 1.5.1.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-14-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenia View Post
All the tests were done without the use of the preview window (F10). I also have only one dictionary selected for spell checking.
Turning preview on further slows things down, to a point were even selecting menu entries gets slow on occasion.
Well that changes things a bit. I simply can't reproduce your search slowdowns whenever Preview is closed. With Preview closed, I can't tell a difference between 1.3.0 - 1.5.1 following your instructions on my tired old i3 laptop. All tests find "cocaine-bottle" almost instantly.

But you didn't mention whether or not you tried disabling tag highlighting in 1.5.1 (Preferences->Appearance->CodeView)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-14-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #88
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Could this be related to that Windows powersaver settings thing? What was it called? How do you check what it is set at for Sigil-1.5.1?

Quote:
I think I have solved the problem by changing the power plan to "Balanced (recomended)". But I still don't understand why this was not needed with Sigil 1.4.3.
Was there some change to Windows that lowers the power setting for newly installed apps?

Last edited by KevinH; 04-14-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #89
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Could this be related to that Windows powersaver settings thing? What was it called? How do you check what it is set at for Sigil-1.5.1?

Was there some change to Windows that lowers the power setting for newly installed apps?
it's a global setting (i.e. not application specific), one way to get at it is via the Control Panel, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-15 083149.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	186617

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #90
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If it is not a powersaving setting, and not related to Preview, then I am stumped as to how it could take 6 seconds to load chapter12 for the first time on any i5 machine with 16 gigs of ram. No one else is seeing such long delays of 6 seconds using your test case, especially with Preview closed.

Something else must be interfering with Sigil and file io? Nothing related to file-io has changed recently.

Ideas anyone?

Are you using the cloud or other network based file systems as your temp area?

Last edited by KevinH; 04-14-2021 at 07:18 PM.