Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #76
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
First Choice, Second Choice
Ditto.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #77
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If one of the goals is to get more members, how about a thread in the Reading Recommendations section asking what people would like in a book club?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #78
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If one of the goals is to get more members, how about a thread in the Reading Recommendations section asking what people would like in a book club?
That is an excellent suggestion!!! It can also be mentioned that we are in the process of reworking our book club, so this would be an excellent time to check it out.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #79
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
* Let me dictate the categories (Dazrin and sun surfer suggested this).
Are you sure you are ready for opening yourself up to such vitriolic abuse?

I've always felt you do a great job with the club and would definitely be in favor of this route. I also like the vote on the 30 and keep the top-11, but I think this one might lead to less variety.

If WT Sharp is choosing I think we should leave it up to them to adjust categories on a yearly basis. I would also suggest that WT run the 30 poll as a way of garnering information on where interests currently sit.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do suggest that we have at least three categories where the books chosen are modern books. The subject matter doesn't have to be modern, but the books themselves do. That would help a lot.

One of the complaints is that we get too many old books nominated. Categories like classic and banned/challenged just lend themselves very well to old books being nominated.

Award winners and banned/challenged just doesn't work well. It might work on paper, but in practice, they don't work.

Combining categories doesn't work. Mystery/thriller and science fiction/fantasy are two examples that do not work. They aren't the same. So please don't do that.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-06-2015 at 11:15 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #81
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All things you've already said, Jon.

Personally, I'd actually very much like to see a Modern Award Winners category. Maybe even as modern as limited to the most recent year's awards. This would provide some of us who have been known to be a bit lazy about our reading to actually stretch a bit and read something both contemporary and of merit.

I'm not opposed to your suggestion of 3 or more "modern" categories. But, depending on what else is in the list, splitting both SF/F and M/T may not be viable, though I certainly agree that they are different. OTOH, there are also plenty of books that I'd be hard pressed to decide which side they were on of those divides.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #82
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Perhaps we should post a poll on what selection process we should use.

* Vote on individual lists.
* Vote on 30 categories and keep the 11 most popular.
* A hybrid approach: Vote on 30 categories, keep the 6 most popular, then have members draw up lists of the 5 remaining categories and vote on them.
* Let me dictate the categories (Dazrin and sun surfer suggested this).
* Other....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Are you sure you are ready for opening yourself up to such vitriolic abuse?

I've always felt you do a great job with the club and would definitely be in favor of this route. I also like the vote on the 30 and keep the top-11, but I think this one might lead to less variety.

If WT Sharp is choosing I think we should leave it up to them to adjust categories on a yearly basis. I would also suggest that WT run the 30 poll as a way of garnering information on where interests currently sit.

Then another consideration for the poll on the method could be "Vote on your favorite categories, then let Tom (me) make the final decision."

As for being ready for "vitriolic abuse", I've had a lifetime of preparation, if that's the way the vote goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

A most excellent suggestion. Would you mind starting it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm not opposed to your suggestion of 3 or more "modern" categories. But, depending on what else is in the list, splitting both SF/F and M/T may not be viable, though I certainly agree that they are different. OTOH, there are also plenty of books that I'd be hard pressed to decide which side they were on of those divides.
But if a book does fit both mystery and thriller, then it would be OK to nominate for either category. But (for example) an Agatha Christie mystery is in no way a thriller.

As for SF & fantasy, there are lots of books that are one or the other and not both and many people dislike the lumping of them together. But to be honest, I think if we had to make room for something different, keep mystery, SF, & fantasy and do away with thriller.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #84
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Then another consideration for the poll on the method could be "Vote on your favorite categories, then let Tom (me) make the final decision."
I'm not suggesting a third choice. I am suggesting that you could run the categories for your information. It's really the same as starting a thread to see what people are interested and I would leave the methods to which you choose the categories in your capable hands.

In case you get stuck, might I suggest one of these to help you sort things out. As well, if you were to partake in a few beverages to clear your head beforehand it might be most meditative.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #85
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
In case you get stuck, might I suggest one of these to help you sort things out. As well, if you were to partake in a few beverages to clear your head beforehand it might be most meditative.
Nice!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #86
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Or maybe in keeping with the 6 month rule for re-nomination perhaps have the 2nd chance month be in June so as to include books that didn't get picked for December as well? Either that or have 2 second chance months per year. One for books nominated in the 1st 6 months and the other for the second 6 months of a given year. Of course that would mean keeping track of when a given book was nominated. Jan-june or July-December of that year. So for example books that weren't picked in the 1st period (January-June) of that year would get their chance the next January and the books in the 2nd period (july-December) would be able to be re-nominated that next July. So 10 months would be for whichever genre of book was chosen for that given month and the other two would be for the re-nominations of the also rans.

Last edited by crich70; 02-06-2015 at 01:31 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #87
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if a book does fit both mystery and thriller, then it would be OK to nominate for either category. But (for example) an Agatha Christie mystery is in no way a thriller.

As for SF & fantasy, there are lots of books that are one or the other and not both and many people dislike the lumping of them together. But to be honest, I think if we had to make room for something different, keep mystery, SF, & fantasy and do away with thriller.
Thriller could be seen as a sub-genre of Mystery anyway I think since there often is a mystery to be solved as well. I mean take Nancy Kopp as an example. Her books are legal thrillers, but in the course of the story there is usually a mystery of some sort.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...In case you get stuck, might I suggest one of these to help you sort things out....

It may well come to that!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #89
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Or maybe in keeping with the 6 month rule for re-nomination perhaps have the 2nd chance month be in June so as to include books that didn't get picked for December as well? Either that or have 2 second chance months per year. One for books nominated in the 1st 6 months and the other for the second 6 months of a given year. Of course that would mean keeping track of when a given book was nominated. Jan-june or July-December of that year.
The second chance month is an exception to the 6-month rule, the December runner-up is included in the vote for January. All 11 books* that came in second place from the February-December votes are on the list, so nothing is left out. I keep the active list of runners-up in the "Book Club Selections List" thread as well.

I don't think anyone has tracked all of the nominations for a rolling 6 month period though. I started to when I took over the selections list but decided that was too much work. The recent nomination and voting threads are all linked in the selection list as well which should make it fairly easy to compile if someone wants to do that though.

*More if there is a tie for second place.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Given the choice between mystery and thriller, I'd prefer mystery the vast majority of the time, but I'm not totally against combining the two categories so that thriller aficionados can have a chance to nominate their favorites as well. The best option, though is to have one month devoted to ranch in my opinion.