Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #76
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
i have a slight problem with this little software. it appears that it doesn't apply darkening what so ever...

for example, i downloaded noto sans font, from google, and first i runned koboify fonts with applied darkening of 9, i left the name as it were. then i took the same font and applied darkening of 25. changed a name and transferred it to my KA1. It seems to me that there are no change when i switch back and forth font....
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #77
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
i have a slight problem with this little software. it appears that it doesn't apply darkening what so ever...

for example, i downloaded noto sans font, from google, and first i runned koboify fonts with applied darkening of 9, i left the name as it were. then i took the same font and applied darkening of 25. changed a name and transferred it to my KA1. It seems to me that there are no change when i switch back and forth font....
Sorry, I haven't worked on this script for years. So it is quite likely something has broken along the way, especially since it uses font forge to do the work, which could have changed things over the years.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #78
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Thanks.
pity, it's a nice little tool, quite useful one. hope you will find some time to continue working on it...
Old 12-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #79
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Paperwhite Signature
I had to hack up KoboifyFonts a little to make it run for me using modern Fontforge; I guess because of switching to Python 3.

On version 20190801 of fontforge from Homebrew on Mac I had to do the following hacks for KoboifyFonts:

- change iteritems() to items(); I think this optimization is no longer needed
- change all instances of unicode(some_string, 'utf-8') to just bare some_string; I don't fully understand, but it seems there has been some change has been made to the string type?

This works for me, but I have no idea if they are good in general (hence no patch).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the current Forntforge for Windows finally stable?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #81
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I had to hack up KoboifyFonts a little to make it run for me using modern Fontforge; I guess because of switching to Python 3.

On version 20190801 of fontforge from Homebrew on Mac I had to do the following hacks for KoboifyFonts:

- change iteritems() to items(); I think this optimization is no longer needed
- change all instances of unicode(some_string, 'utf-8') to just bare some_string; I don't fully understand, but it seems there has been some change has been made to the string type?

This works for me, but I have no idea if they are good in general (hence no patch).
Yeah, that would have needed to be done since the latest version of Fontforge switched to including Python 3 by default.

The unicode() function call in Python 3 uses utf-8 strings by default, which is why the bare string or variable name is all that is needed now.

I actually tried to port the script myself, but Fontforge was crashing on me even using the original script on an older version of Fontforge that still used Python 2 on my Windows 10 machine (and I can't tell if it's a Windows thing or just my machine; I went crazy in locking it down for security purposes, which in hindsight has caused all sorts of compatibility problems for me that are hard to track down/reverse), so I couldn't verify anything.

If the script works for you, feel free to post it so that others can benefit (or check/edit your work in case anything else was missed in the migration).

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #82
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all

This script is basically depreciated. I should probably make a note of that somewhere

I created a replacement called ReadifyFont, but I don't know if I ever really advertised it here on MobileRead

Now, ReadifyFont hasn't been worked on in quite a while either, but I did try and account for Python 2/3 differences, so that might not be such an issue. It was about that time when it was a toss-up whether the build of FontForge one was using was using Python 2 or 3, and was a right PITA.

I don't know how much the FontForge Python API has changed since I last worked on this, so who knows how well it still works...

Note, ReadifyFonts has a GUI based on PyQT, as well as a CLI script. From memory. the GUI can be started with calibre-debug if you don't have PyQT installed.

If anyone wants to make improvements, I accept pull requests.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #83
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Hi all

This script is basically depreciated. I should probably make a note of that somewhere

I created a replacement called ReadifyFont, but I don't know if I ever really advertised it here on MobileRead
Hey, this is pretty cool and I was wondering if it was ever completed.

But can someone else verify that it still works since I don't trust my machine configuration? Using the GUI, I just tried it and while it looks like it attached a kern table to a font that I know only has GPOS (it's the version of Gill Sans from the Nook firmware, but Gill Sans on Windows 10 is the same), when I open up the modified font in Fontforge again, it still has all the PANOSE data even though I selected it to be cleared. Running the latest version of Fontforge available for 32-bit Windows 10 (along with a local instance of Python 3.7 and PyQT5, although I don't know if it uses it outside of for the GUI).

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-04-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #84
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have been using the latest version of Literata from https://github.com/googlefonts/literata/releases as is. Would I realise any benefits from running the ttfs from that site through the ReadifyFont script before using them with my Kobo device?

EDIT – I went ahead and ran the script with the following options enabled: Legacy Kerning, Clear PANOSE, Alt. Name, Keep Existing Hinting. Seems the same to me so far on my Kobo, but I'll keep using it anyway

Thanks for the new script. It's very slick

Last edited by JeanPierre; 12-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #85
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I have been using the latest version of Literata from https://github.com/googlefonts/literata/releases as is. Would I realise any benefits from running the ttfs from that site through the ReadifyFont script before using them with my Kobo device?

EDIT – I went ahead and ran the script with the following options enabled: Legacy Kerning, Clear PANOSE, Alt. Name, Keep Existing Hinting. Seems the same to me so far on my Kobo, but I'll keep using it anyway

Thanks for the new script. It's very slick
The latest version of Literata already has a legacy kern table attached and the PANOSE data consistent with the other font weight data, so no surprise that it looks virtually the same. You might notice a difference in playing around with the different hinting options; if you do, let us know.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #86
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
The latest version of Literata already has a legacy kern table attached and the PANOSE data consistent with the other font weight data, so no surprise that it looks virtually the same. You might notice a difference in playing around with the different hinting options; if you do, let us know.
I tried setting AutoHint and unchecking the previous options I set, but still can't see a difference. So I guess this means Literata is fine as it. Thanks for the input
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #87
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I tried setting AutoHint and unchecking the previous options I set, but still can't see a difference. So I guess this means Literata is fine as it. Thanks for the input
Or the script no longer works with the latest version of Fontforge which is why nothing looks different, lol.

That said, I do believe that version 2 of Literata is fine as is so no need to change anything. The stock Kindle fonts are messed up in nickel without modification though, and I guess using those to test if the new script still works properly would probably be best.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #88
forster01
Groupie

is there a win version of redify fonts?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #89
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
is there a win version of redify fonts?
In theory, this should run under Windows. You will need to have FontForge installed, set the path information correctly, etc. However that said, when I run "fontforge -script ReadifyFontCLI.py -h" at a command prompt, I get an error importing from helper at line 13. This may be due to already having Python 3.7 installed.

One note is that the fontforge-console.bat file when run as administrator tried to set the path and system variables but has errors such as setting the PYTHONPATH to point to a 2.7 install while the installed version of FontForge has a Python 3.7 install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #90
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In theory, this should run under Windows. You will need to have FontForge installed, set the path information correctly, etc. However that said, when I run "fontforge -script ReadifyFontCLI.py -h" at a command prompt, I get an error importing from helper at line 13. This may be due to already having Python 3.7 installed.
Can you let me know what the error is? I just tried with a freshly installed FontForge, and I have Python 3.7 installed, and it showed the help fine.

Tags
font