Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #76
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Yaaay! congrats, Kacir! You can buy a discounted 300 now, if you live near any stores that have discounted it
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #77
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The epub has been taken down, I have left the pdf as a free download. I am on the final copy editing now and on track for a release to Amazon and Smashwords by the end of the month.

I think the only place I won't be will be Kobo because they discount and that will make pricing unstable across the board.

Thanks for reading Tag, if you have any feedback - now is the time...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #78
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which of these two covers do you think is best? The only real difference is the date format.

The covers are here.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #79
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
The first cover-- the one that spells out March. The other one doesn't look like a date to me.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #80
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
The first cover-- the one that spells out March. The other one doesn't look like a date to me.
Do you think if we slanted the strokes between the date, like this, 3 / 15 / 2110, it would work better?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #81
simonroyle
Addict

Got a banner done for advertising Tag.

It's over here. What do you guys think?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #82
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
Got a banner done for advertising Tag.

It's over here. What do you guys think?
I think that the one spelling March instead of 03 is better.
Besides, nobody, with the possible exception of authors of Futuristic Thrillers ;-), can imagine what notation for writing dates we will use in 99 years ;-).

When you write something like 02/03/2001 I never know whether it is March the second, or February the third.
In your case, the 15 in the date tells us what the what that this is days, and the other number must be months, but it might still look unfamiliar to half of your [potential] readers.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #83
simonroyle
Addict

It's a tough call. And maybe one I'll regret, but I lean towards the numbers and US date format. You are correct in pointing out the 15. If it didn't have that I would not have had the decision to make. My thinking is (call me contrary if you will), I want it to be unfamiliar. Americans will get it immediately, whereas the rest of the world will flinch, then recognize the 15 and then the year. The important thing for me is the year. I want people to know I am writing about 99 years from now.

If the date is familiar people might just let their eye skim right past that... Or maybe I think way too much about such details I have no idea. Maybe what we can do is swap them around or leave a little note inside.

Dear reader if use of American dates and English offends you we would be happy, at no charge, to send you the International Edition of TAG. send us an email we'll send you a file (and for an extra dollar I'll personalize it).
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #84
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Americans will get it immediately,
Well, I think that the majority of customers in the first wave *will* come from USA. They have the biggest penetration of e-readers, Amazon has very strong position there, they are used to buying things on-line using a credit cards or paypal ...
You might also try to have a look how many visitors on your site come from USA, ...

There is another possibility you might consider
15. III. 2010 ;-)
Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #85
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is another possibility you might consider
15. III. 2010 ;-)
Thank you. Now I have ANOTHER one to worry about.

I have come up with a very scientific way of choosing.

I'm going to write them down, each on their own piece of paper. Then I'm going to put them into a baseball cap I've got lying around here somewhere. Then I am going to shake them up and let my one year old daughter choose.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #86
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you. Now I have ANOTHER one to worry about.
[:evil grin:]
Quote:
I have come up with a very scientific way of choosing...
Well, from a marketing point of view, I would say that the safest bet would be American notation.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #87
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

Well, from a marketing point of view, I would say that the safest bet would be American notation.
Funnily enough that's exactly what my daughter chose
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #88
simonroyle
Addict

Tag is now Published on Smashwords here.

Anyone willing to post an honest review PM me, or drop me an email, and I'll send you the book in the format of your choice.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #89
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey - just wanted to chime in (very late) and say that I agree with the number approach to the date on the cover.

I'm Australian, so my date order is different, but I just think it looks better despite the possible confusion.

You're talking about microchips inserted in brains and it's a techno thriller set in the future. It makes no sense to me to have to spell out "March" on the cover.

Putting this on my "to get" list on Smashwords.

Reviews only happen if the reading happens though.

Regards
Caleb
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #90
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Hey - just wanted to chime in (very late) and say that I agree with the number approach to the date on the cover.

I'm Australian, so my date order is different, but I just think it looks better despite the possible confusion.

You're talking about microchips inserted in brains and it's a techno thriller set in the future. It makes no sense to me to have to spell out "March" on the cover.

Putting this on my "to get" list on Smashwords.

Reviews only happen if the reading happens though.

Regards
Caleb
Hi Caleb,

Yes that's the conclusion I came to as well.

Thanks for putting this on your 'to get' list - that's great and for sure hard to review a book unless you've read it
Closed Thread