Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #76
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Indexing shows on each search of a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Where do you see this indexing? I see nothing about the HDX indexing any books.

No there's no need for me run Gsam when I can now see the battery percentage right on the nav bar which is why I used it before.
I finally got that Bible Encyclopedia fully indexed by my HDX. One can actually watch the indexing if it is taking place. Do a search and a yellow bar appears at the top showing what percentage is indexed.

I found that, if one leaves the Bible Encyclopedia alone, it STOPS indexing. That's how it stayed for a couple of day when I uninstalled it.

Then I reinstalled it yesterday and found that every search forced it to index more. After about 50 searches the bar moved to 100% and disappeared. Searching forces the indexing on large eBooks Smaller ones (under 1,000 pages) index fully on their own.

The problem is that the indexing covered EVERY word in the Encyclopedia, not just the eBook index. The PW 2013 recognized it as a dictionary and only indexed the eBook index making it easy to find things.

With the HD and HDX one has to search for "see <word>" to get an internal link to the main word. This Bible Encyclopedia was developed by Osnova so I will have to email him to see if there is an update for the HD and HDX.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #77
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just opened my new HDX. It's currently charging and downloading the software update. I really, really like the form factor much better than last year's HD.

Taking a page from XDA, the first thing I will do is sideload Google Music/Gmail and Youtube.

I'll see if I have the blue halo (defect/feature) once it updates.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #78
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay, update. The google apps were the first thing I installed. They worked okay but I kept getting error messages for the google services framework. It got annoying so I just did a factory reset and will leave off of tinkering until root is achieve and I can get rid of those error messages.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
okay, update. The google apps were the first thing I installed. They worked okay but I kept getting error messages for the google services framework. It got annoying so I just did a factory reset and will leave off of tinkering until root is achieve and I can get rid of those error messages.
I don't use any Google app but gmail but the email app on the HDX works great. Give it a try. It looks alot like the gmail app and was super easy to set up. Significantly improved from the app on my other Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #80
mewmartigan
Guru

yeah, I synced the mail app and the calendar to my google account so I'm happy with that arrangement.

Now, riddle me this! My kids really like the "Watch Disney Junior" app so they can watch episodes of their shows. The app was installed and working fine on my 2012 Fire HD which is now gone. Amazon is telling me the app is NOT compatible with the 2013 models....why not?!?! I have a hard time believing the problem is android, maybe Amazon just marked it wrong? Either way, it won't show up under my cloud items on the HDX. not cool.
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yeah, I synced the mail app and the calendar to my google account so I'm happy with that arrangement.

Now, riddle me this! My kids really like the "Watch Disney Junior" app so they can watch episodes of their shows. The app was installed and working fine on my 2012 Fire HD which is now gone. Amazon is telling me the app is NOT compatible with the 2013 models....why not?!?! I have a hard time believing the problem is android, maybe Amazon just marked it wrong? Either way, it won't show up under my cloud items on the HDX. not cool.
Just sideload it. Goodreads is the same way and works fine.
It just means the developer hasn't made specifics changes or Amazon blocked it for one of their marketing reasons.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #82
mewmartigan
Guru

Good idea...but how do I get the apk file. It isn't something I can install on my phone since its the "tablet edition".
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #83
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Good idea...but how do I get the apk file. It isn't something I can install on my phone since its the "tablet edition".
Do you not have your HD still? If not I'm not sure. You would need to use ES File Explorer to backup the app. I do this to all apps. I keep a backup my entire Fire's SD storage area.

I think Amazon apps DRM is account specific
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #84
mewmartigan
Guru

yeah, I sold the old Fire a few weeks ago...didn't back up because all the apps were free or backed up in the cloud already.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
yeah, I sold the old Fire a few weeks ago...didn't back up because all the apps were free or backed up in the cloud already.
Always back up an app before you upgrade the app to a new version or before you move to a new device or do a factory reset. You can use ES File Explorer to do this. You'll find the backup option using its app manger.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #86
mewmartigan
Guru

hopefully they update it soon....
Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #87
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Root has been achieved but you don't need to do that for Google Books, Music, Video, YouTube. Just if you want Google Play store I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u63MvksJZxc
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #88
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Hi.. I got mine today.. I am updating but it's slow.. how long did it take to update? Thanks..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #89
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Charge first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
Hi.. I got mine today.. I am updating but it's slow.. how long did it take to update? Thanks..
Charge for at least 30 minutes before updating. Then it goes fast. Some units are shipped with too low a charge.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #90
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post

Mine was going very slowly so I just downloaded the update from Amazon's website and sideloaded it. Went much faster that way.