Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #76
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I can hardly bring myself to write this ...

I loaded the 2nd one-off apk - no widgets - so another reboot. I casually looked down at the Home screen mid-reboot to see a greyed-out CC icon with a little SD on it. and I realise my husband must have moved CC to the external SD card. I believe widgets only work if the app is installed in main memory - a fact I'd completely forgotten about since my 2 Android devices are KitKat and I've kept all apps in main memory.

Once the reboot was complete I moved CC back to the phone, lo and behold a CC widget appears. It's the 'CC list' one only. Is this what you would expect? The good news is that it works OK. The 'official 3.6.3c' will probably also run OK but I'm not sure how to reinstall it over the one-off. Do I need to wait for 3.6.3d?

Sincere apologies for all the extra work
for the effort. I am glad you noticed the SD card stuff.

I would expect to see all three widgets, not just the first one, but I will write that off to "weirdness".

You can wait for .3d or I can send you the APK for .3c. Given that I intend to release .3d tomorrow, I suspect waiting is the best plan.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #77
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Given that I intend to release .3d tomorrow, I suspect waiting is the best plan.
Definitely
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #78
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
@chaley, I still don't see any activity inviting me to download betas on my side.

I would like to "tap and read" on the shelf rather opening metadata page. Can you add an option to toggle this?

Regards,
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I would like to "tap and read" on the shelf rather opening metadata page. Can you add an option to toggle this?
Can't you already do this by long-pressing the book on the shelf? It works for me.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 AM   #80
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Can't you already do this by long-pressing the book on the shelf? It works for me.
Ah, I didnot know that. Yet I use CC as the main shelf in stead of readers' library, I still would like it to be default tap gesture.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #81
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@chaley, I still don't see any activity inviting me to download betas on my side.
Not sure what to say. If:
  1. the email address you gave me in the private message is exactly the email address you used to purchase CC, and
  2. you received the beta invitation email, and
  3. you clicked on the link
then you should be signed up and receiving beta updates. Unfortunately Google Play offers no way for me to to check if all three conditions have been met.

What do you see if you go to google play on your device? There have been rumors that sometimes the update notice isn't delivered but the update is available.

@PeterT: are you seeing the betas? I added you and nqk at the same time.
Quote:

Regards,
As jackie_w said, long press does that. Adding yet another option to avoid a 1/2 second press isn't something I am ready to do.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #82
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that shortcut.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #83
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Quote:
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that shortcut.
OK, perhaps I was wrong to reject providing an option. Clearly the long-press shortcut is not discoverable. I will add it today before I release 3.6.3d.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #84
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
OK, perhaps I was wrong to reject providing an option. Clearly the long-press shortcut is not discoverable. I will add it today before I release 3.6.3d.
I'm not prone to check shortcuts... or reading manuals so don't do it because of me....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #85
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V3.6.3d published

Changes:
  • Option to choose tap and long-press behavior in book list/grid
  • [BUG FIX]Handle fallback to automatic in time-of-day connections
  • [Bug Fix]Turn off the automatic connection when the option checkbox is unchecked
Unless bug fixes are necessary, I expect this to be the last beta before general release.

Last edited by chaley; 04-15-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #86
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry. I am seeing the betas but yesterday and today have been quite hectic.

I'm not sure the auto connect is working though.

I have it set to connect at 06:30 and when I just checked @8:30 saw that the news had not downloaded.

When I did do a manual connect though stuff did arrive.

I need to play and double check things a few more times.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #87
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I have it set to connect at 06:30 and when I just checked @8:30 saw that the news had not downloaded.

Thanks for the debug log. There are some transfers at 6:30, three I think. Do you mind if I post the messages with the newspaper name to confirm them with you?

I am out for around an hour, and will get back to you when I get home.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #88
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I have gone through the log and have a theory about what is happening.

First, the history:
  • 2015-04-14 06:18:25: you set the connect timer to 06:30
  • 2015-04-14 06:30:03: The timer fires and successfully connects
  • Three "books are transferred, ...Star 13 Apr, ...Star 14 Apr, and New ... 14 Apr
  • 2015-04-14 06:30:23: Connection is terminated
  • 2015-04-14 06:31:10: You (or someone) looks at one of the downloaded news "books"
  • 2015-04-14 16:33:18: The pattern implies that the device was rebooted. If so then this is what caused the failure
  • 2015-04-15 08:23:55: CC is restarted. Note that the time is after 6:30
  • News books are transferred
The reason the reboot would cause a problem is that the alarms are lost until CC is run again, which it was not until 8:30. There is a way to get notified about reboots but it requires a strange permission, something that makes many users upset. Your debug log points toward an alternate approach for resetting the clock that doesn't require the permission.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #89
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Changes:
  • Option to choose tap and long-press behavior in book list/grid
This new option seems to work as advertised, I tried all 3 settings.

Nothing I tried in 3.6.3d appears to have broken anything that was working in 3.6.3c.

Now, back to widgets and Android 4.0.4 ...
I don't know what you changed but I am now offered all 3 widgets and all 3 work .

Some observations: All 3 have the same label, 'Calibre Companion' with the standard CC icon, so a new user wouldn't know which one they were getting. Just trying all 3 didn't take very long. Once installed, all 3 display as 1x1 - maybe a limitation of v4.0.4? The image size in 1x1 is good for list and stack. For stack the 'rear books' are marginally visible but not to the extent of being tap-able. The user would need to know about the swipe-ability. The grid widget is useable - with small fingers - but the images offer rather a small target. I think list or stack work better in v4.0.4.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #90
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nothing I tried in 3.6.3d appears to have broken anything that was working in 3.6.3c.

Quote:
Now, back to widgets and Android 4.0.4 ...
I don't know what you changed but I am now offered all 3 widgets and all 3 work .
I just put it back how it was. ???
Quote:
Some observations: All 3 have the same label, 'Calibre Companion' with the standard CC icon, so a new user wouldn't know which one they were getting.
This is the point that Purple Lady and Dhevi made about the Nova Launcher. At the time I cavalierly said I wouldn't fix it. If Samsung devices behave like that then perhaps I should add the text. The problem: "Calibre Companion Grid View" etc won't fit on many devices, resulting in ellipsis. Do you think I could use "CC Grid View" and new users would understand? Or perhaps "Grid View Calibre Companion" and let the word "Companion" get the ellipses (I don't like this much)? Or perhaps "Cal Comp Grid View"? Or perhaps do nothing after all?

EDIT: Idea: one of the books could be the CC logo, making "CC something" be OK.
Quote:
Once installed, all 3 display as 1x1 - maybe a limitation of v4.0.4? The image size in 1x1 is good for list and stack. For stack the 'rear books' are marginally visible but not to the extent of being tap-able. The user would need to know about the swipe-ability. The grid widget is useable - with small fingers - but the images offer rather a small target. I think list or stack work better in v4.0.4.
I sized all of them at 1x1, figuring that people would resize them to whatever they want. However, as you point out some people might not know how to resize them.

How about I make the default size for the grid and stack views 2x2 and the default for the list view 1x2? A user can resize them smaller or larger.