Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #76
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibengler View Post
The africas I got are small, white. Having two speakers, a trackpad, one SD slot, three USB ports, and a network port, headphones and a microphone. ... These are running windows CE.

It has a via ARM-VT8500 CPU and 128mb of ram. I think it has 2gigabytes of ram. and a wifi built in.
Right now, the Africa Linux says it's $99, and the Africa Windows says it's $118.

Windows says: 400 MHz processor, 256 MB DDR / 2 GB NAND-flash and runs Windows XP
Otherspecs: Mouse&Touch pad:build-in touch panel, set two shortcut key,and support usb port mouse USB Port: USB 2.0 x 1 (aid external memory) USB 1.1 x 2 (aid keyboard & mouse only) External Memory : SD card , U-Disk , USB-HDD Card port: SD / MMC card slot (8GB)

Not Windows CE. Not 128 mb RAM. Doesn't say 3 USB ports, either, but it might over-provide.

Hm, I may want to visit Cherrypal myself. Are they at Palo Alto address on the website? I live in Oakland; a trip to the south bay wouldn't be difficult to arrange.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #77
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Right now, the Africa Linux says it's $99, and the Africa Windows says it's $118.

Windows says: 400 MHz processor, 256 MB DDR / 2 GB NAND-flash and runs Windows XP
Otherspecs: Mouse&Touch pad:build-in touch panel, set two shortcut key,and support usb port mouse USB Port: USB 2.0 x 1 (aid external memory) USB 1.1 x 2 (aid keyboard & mouse only) External Memory : SD card , U-Disk , USB-HDD Card port: SD / MMC card slot (8GB)

Not Windows CE. Not 128 mb RAM. Doesn't say 3 USB ports, either, but it might over-provide.

Hm, I may want to visit Cherrypal myself. Are they at Palo Alto address on the website? I live in Oakland; a trip to the south bay wouldn't be difficult to arrange.

Will you be bringing along some muscle, or are you packing heat?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just heard back from Consumerist. They're investigating the story.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #79
nlite
nlite began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually from what I've seen while looking into Wondermedia I highly doubt a VIA VT8500 is faster than 300 MHz.
nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #80
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Oh, why limit myself to one or the other? I should keep my options open.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #81
hibengler
hibengler began at the beginning.

Here is the picture. It looks similar to the $70.00 models shown earlier.

My address is 3115 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA
Cherrypal's address is 712 Sutter Avenue Palo Alto, CA

I am not a shill. I am a computer techie.

This machine definitely does not run windows XP. It is ARM based, not intel based.
I might have read the memory wrong. When I go home, I will verify it.
hibengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #82
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Please don't post your personal address on a public message board. That's just asking for trouble. You can always arrange a meet in a public place to show off your machine.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #83
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
So, someone who "lives two blocks" from the company signs up just to say that he indeed got the product.

No, that doesn't sound like a shill at all.
Driving directions to 712 Sutter Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94303
0.2 mi

3115 Middlefield Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303

1. Head northwest on Middlefield Rd toward Wellsbury Way 0.2 mi
2. Take the 2nd right onto Sutter Ave
Destination will be on the right 161 ft

712 Sutter Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94303

This is what I got when I plugged the two addresses in to Google Maps.....a little more than 2/10 of mile apart.....coincidence???
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #84
atari
not established
atari began at the beginning.

Device: /dev/null
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibengler View Post

Here is the picture. It looks similar to the $70.00 models shown earlier.
[...]
I might have read the memory wrong. When I go home, I will verify it.
It seems you bought a "@NEWEST@7'' ARM EPC Mini Laptop Notebook Pocket PC"

Would be nice if you verify the amount of RAM...

Last edited by atari; 02-06-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #85
ccphilly1984
ccphilly1984 began at the beginning.

Device: what's a book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
packing heat... in california... lmao... those california people have no gun rights for the most part... that's a may issue state... silly goose...

glad i looked up that company on wikipedia... and found this thread... i was going to buy from them... just to have an extra cheap netbook laying around... i did see some on ebay for sale in the 105-115 dollar range with windows ce on them from people with good rep.

check it out on ebay

and beleive it or not, there are some good reviews on this cherrypal company... not sure how reputable these reviews are, but check them out here

so anyone else got any good REPUTABLE cheap netbook links?
ccphilly1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #86
atari
not established
atari began at the beginning.

Device: /dev/null
Thumbs down

Finally my order arrived.

It's like hibengler posted:
ARM-VT8500
128MB RAM
WinCE

Sucks...
atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #87
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Driving directions to 712 Sutter Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94303
0.2 mi

3115 Middlefield Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303

1. Head northwest on Middlefield Rd toward Wellsbury Way 0.2 mi
2. Take the 2nd right onto Sutter Ave
Destination will be on the right 161 ft

712 Sutter Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94303

This is what I got when I plugged the two addresses in to Google Maps.....a little more than 2/10 of mile apart.....coincidence???
An excellent distance for a commute to your place of business...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #88
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
An excellent distance for a commute to your place of business...
And I thought my 3/4 of a mile commute was short!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #89
Yomero
Yomero began at the beginning.

So Cherrypal is just a reseller... And not a very good one.
Yomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #90
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
packing heat... in california... lmao... those california people have no gun rights for the most part... that's a may issue state... silly goose...

glad i looked up that company on wikipedia... and found this thread... i was going to buy from them... just to have an extra cheap netbook laying around... i did see some on ebay for sale in the 105-115 dollar range with windows ce on them from people with good rep.

check it out on ebay

and beleive it or not, there are some good reviews on this cherrypal company... not sure how reputable these reviews are, but check them out here

so anyone else got any good REPUTABLE cheap netbook links?
Your youtube link does NOT lead to cherrypal.

"AVOID CHERRYPAL" - seems to be the general consensus.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote