Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #76
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think that one is Mark Twain, actually.
Your probable right. I guess my clock was correct, but the second hand wasn't moving.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #77
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post

You pays your nickel and you takes your chance.
Or Go ahead and talk, its your nickel (started back when a phone call was a nickel)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #78
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pale as a sheet.

Often followed by:

Dead as a doorknob.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #79
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Pale as a sheet.

Often followed by:

Dead as a doorknob.
So you have never wired a doorknob to the building power leads? That would be a far from dead doorknob. Can't say the same for the person who touched it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #80
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Your probable right. I guess my clock was correct, but the second hand wasn't moving.
Now there's a fella who don't know what time it is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #81
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Quote:
Dead as a doorknob.
So you have never wired a doorknob to the building power leads? That would be a far from dead doorknob. Can't say the same for the person who touched it.
Don't like that one? How about "Dead as a beaver hat."

Then there's a perennial favorite of mine: "DRT -- Dead Right There."

And of course, who could forget: "Deader'n dirt."
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #82
NatCh
Gizmologist

In Texas, well certain parts of it anyway, the expression "... than/like/as a big dog" is used quite a lot. I worked with a guy who used it almost constantly. At one point I tried to catalog all the things that a "big dog" was or was like:

Rainin' like a big dog
Hotter than a big dog
Ugly as a big dog
Runnin' like a big dog

Eventually I gave up: ran out of paper you know.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #83
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
In Texas, well certain parts of it anyway, the expression "... than/like/as a big dog" is used quite a lot. I worked with a guy who used it almost constantly. At one point I tried to catalog all the things that a "big dog" was or was like:

Rainin' like a big dog
Hotter than a big dog
Ugly as a big dog
Runnin' like a big dog

i'm adding "like a big dog" to my own collection.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #84
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Try epaper. Arf!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #85
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
please PLEASE tell us what the cockney rhyming slang definition is !!! also, what's the yorkshire definition ? while you're at it...

yet another occasion when i wish i had the "crinkling up its nose" smiley, or perhaps a hybrid crinkly / groaning smiley.

two bob bit = old money of the brown/brass coloured variety, ie, not shiny or bright :-)

The Cockney rhyming slang version is 'two bob bit' == 'shit'...

Actually, I guess you could say either definition works!
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #86
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I met a fellow from South America a few months ago who used the term zafar. This thread has led me to uncover its meaning: http://wallys.org/diccQZ.html#Q

I love this part: "One of the most representative words of contemporary Argentine culture. The concept is to get by with as little effort as possible and enjoy yourself if you can. In order to do so, one may have to resort to representing the facts in a creative way, bending the rules, or putting on a bit of an act."
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #87
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
That exactly describes my participation in this forum.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #88
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:

Rainin' like a big dog
Hotter than a big dog
Ugly as a big dog
Runnin' like a big dog

In Maryland in the 1960s we used "Spiro Agnew" rather than "Big Dog"
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #89
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That great Space Shuttle colloquialism: "It flies like a brick."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #90
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
That great Space Shuttle colloquialism: "It flies like a brick."
or a bumblebee ..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness