Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #76
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the A100 so far but it is going to take me awhile to get use to Honeycomb 3.2 since this would be my first experience past Gingerbread.

WiFi seems pretty strong so far no matter where I've tried it from. I have reviewed video via Netflix and from TV station broadcasts (ABC, CBS, CW) and I liked what I saw for the most part. I did see some reflection but nothing to be concerned about.

Reading webpages isn't real clear but it seems to depend on exactly how I position the A100, once you lock it in that particular position it is that much better. I didn't expect that to tell the truth though the lighting utilized during my browsing may have something to do with it as well.

I want to customize the home screens and I do have some questions as well. It appears some web pages recently viewed show up on the home screen. How does one delete those? And also how does one delete web page history in the browser?

Dollar for dollar, no doubt one gets more than what the NT features (I paid the exact same price). Getting the A100 cheaper is something I'll have to think about as most places are out of stock and I don't know that a lower price will be offered soon as a result cause and the 700 line is fast approaching. I had a hard time finding an A100 in my area and if I give this one up, I may be shooting myself in the foot if the unit has indeed dried up.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-31-2011 at 01:46 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #77
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I want to customize the home screens and I do have some questions as well. It appears some web pages recently viewed show up on the home screen. How does one delete those? And also how does one delete web page history in the browser?
The A100 and A500 are my first Android devices, so I'm definitely no expert, but I have learned a lot within the last few weeks.

I didn't want my web pages to show on the home screen, so I removed that widget completely. To remove an icon/widget from the home screen, touch and hold the icon until it is highlighted, then drag it to the trash can that will appear in the upper right corner. To add items to the home screen, touch and hold the background. You will then be given choices you can add (widgets, apps, wallpapers, bookmarks, settings, etc.).

I usually use Dolphin Browser, but when in the stock browser you can delete web page history by tapping the icon in the upper right, select Settings, go to Privacy & Security, and clear cache or history there.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #78
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the assistance!

About the A500, someone was returning it to Target yesterday and I was on line right behind them with a return I had. They opted for the A100 as I got into a brief conversation. They wanted to save some money and it was more portable.

Anyways, the clerk opened up the package that was completely sealed as the customer never obviously used it. I was stunned and so was the returner. I was tempted to ask at what cost it would be made available for sale now that it was opened but I didn't bother when it was turn to return my item. I did ask why she opened it and she said some folks actually re-shrinkwrap some electronic items and return it with something else inside.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-31-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #79
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did ask why she opened it and she said some folks actually re-shrinkwrap some electronic items and return it with something else inside.
Sheesh. Unfortunately, what the clerk told you does happen on occasion. Sad, isn't it?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #80
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
FYI there are pictures of the new a200 and a700 out, a200 is basically the old a500 but with a new rubber covered chassis, a700 is supposed to have a Tegra3 quad core in it. Looks like they may have abandoned the 7 inch form factor for the 10 inch form factor. both are supposed to come with Android 4 and be available in around March time frame.

Getting ready to try spraying some PlastiDip on the back of my a500, got it all masked off last night. If it works reasonably well I may remove the chassis and shoot it properly so I don't have uncoated areas around the speakers and switches.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #81
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

I've seen photos of the A200 and A700 too. In addition to the Tegra3 quadcore processor, the A700 is rumored to have a 1920 x 1200 pixel screen! I'm thinking that model will be a bit expensive, but the A200 is supposed to be low-priced.

I hope the PlastiDip works for you!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #82
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I hope the PlastiDip works for you!
Me too! Going to be very hard to get the stuff back off if it doesn't. Should have pictures later tonight after it sits for a couple more hours. Might be Monday though.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #83
Greg_E
Zealot

Needs about 5 more coats, but too late now.

I think it would turn out a lot better if the case was taken apart so you had bare metal to work with.

Note:

Do not spray the plastic pieces! The solvents in the PlastiDip will eat the plastic.

It certainly covers the slipping issue, but I think this will peel right off because it is so thin and it might need primer to adhere to the anodized shell. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting the tape on the back idea in a short amount of time when this stuff peels back off. Some Krylon Fusion in black would help with the plastic end pieces.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #84
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
It certainly covers the slipping issue, but I think this will peel right off because it is so thin and it might need primer to adhere to the anodized shell. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting the tape on the back idea in a short amount of time when this stuff peels back off. Some Krylon Fusion in black would help with the plastic end pieces.
You are very brave to try that! It looks great, and it'll be interesting to see how long it will adhere. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised.

I think I'll just keep mine in the leather case. It is nice to have protection over the screen when it's closed and it is easy to hold when the case is folded back.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #85
Greg_E
Zealot

It was used so warranty is probably out of the question so might as well try to make what I want. If it holds up after it finally cures, then I'll probably disassemble it and do it the right way., I do have the Krylon Fusion too so it would be an all black version.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #86
Greg_E
Zealot

Starting to peel, guess I need to get a TPU case.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #87
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
just "inherited' an A100 from my mother to use as an e-reader since my Kobo died.

Its a mixed bag.
The processor power is suitable for your standard run of the mill honeycomb 3.2. it works well. The device works exactly as expected

But the screen. oh gosh that screen. It kills it.

the low quality TN screen with absolutely ridiculous viewing angles, and outrageous bleedthrough. Black background glow. Reading an actual novel on this thing is painful and streneous on the eyes.

it's not a suitable e reader with the screen at all.

Maybe i'm just missing a setting somewhere to make it easier, but 5 minutes of reading a book on this thing, white bakcground with black text, and my eyeballs are going to pop out of my bloody head.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #88
robertc88
Fanatic

The screen probably is going to make this a no sale for me. I did not try reading on it till yesterday and it is not what I am used to recently (KF and NT).

How does one do a reset for the factory?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #89
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Maybe i'm just missing a setting somewhere to make it easier, but 5 minutes of reading a book on this thing, white bakcground with black text, and my eyeballs are going to pop out of my bloody head.
I use the Kindle app with a sepia background and the screen doesn't bother me. I do prefer reading eink, though. I don't know if this will help, but you may want to try adjusting the screen brightness via Apps | Settings | Screen | Brightness. I agree that viewing angles are less than ideal.

Quote:
How does one do a reset for the factory?
Apps | Settings | Privacy | Factory data reset
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
[QUOTE=Lordvic;1908415Maybe i'm just missing a setting somewhere to make it easier, but 5 minutes of reading a book on this thing, white bakcground with black text, and my eyeballs are going to pop out of my bloody head.[/QUOTE]

Even thinking about a white background/black text will make my eyes bleed... Before you shoot the screen down, change the white background to a more coloured one, yellowish, orangish, reddish, even grayish would work much better! Too much contrast isn't good...

Also, as Dreamwriter said, try to put the backlight as low as possible. Unless you're reading outside or in very bright locations, it should be more than enough if you turn it to about 5% to 10% of maximum...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote