Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2023, 03:51 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If that's paranoid, I must be neurotic since I don't just clean my ePubs—I also rewrite the entire OPF document with good metadata (usually based on GoodReads and/or OverDrive).
I do edit the metadata in the OPF as needed. I also delete the <guide> section as I don't need it.

I find a lot of the CSS classes have extra junk in them that's not needed and I delete that. I don't like chapter titles that take up so much excess space on screen. There is no ePub I've read as is in a very long time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:49 PM   #77
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemide View Post
I do nothing, every 2 or 3 months it needs to reboot Libra 2, but for me it's normal.
I don't check or modify ebooks with Calibre before sending to the Libra 2, just use nickel for wireless transfer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That could be were the problem lays. It could be an ePub with errors that the parser doesn't understand.
Possibly. But not necessarily. My Libra 2 freezes or reboots occasionally also. Froze the first day I had it, before any books were on it at all. I think some of these may just be a bit flakey. Sometimes I can revive it with just a sleep/wake cycle. Haven't updated to 4.38 yet due to Pocket issue, but haven't seen any obvious difference in stability from one fw version to another so far.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 10:49 PM   #78
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, my Libra 2 also crashes once every other month or so. I don't use Calibre, and I sideload everything. It's a great device, but it's not perfect.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:34 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, my Libra 2 also crashes once every other month or so. I don't use Calibre, and I sideload everything. It's a great device, but it's not perfect.
Try the following. Use calibre. But before you side load any eBooks, check them first with epubcheck in the editor and fix any errors until epubcheck says there are no errors. See if you still have any crashes. Most eBooks will be OK.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:12 AM   #80
boopsy35
boopsy35 is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo libra 2
where can I find this version to download?
boopsy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 05:15 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopsy35 View Post
where can I find this version to download?
The Kobo Aura One is a kobo6 device. Here's the link to the firmware for kobo6 devices.

https://cdn.kobo.com/downloads/firmw...4.38.21908.zip
Old 09-06-2023, 05:23 AM   #82
boopsy35

thank you!
Old 09-06-2023, 05:27 AM   #83
boopsy35

I also have a kobo libra 2..do I use the same update?
Old 09-06-2023, 06:22 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I also have a kobo libra 2..do I use the same update?
No. You replace kobo6 with kobo9 in the URL.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #85
boopsy35

Thank u so much!!!
Old 09-06-2023, 08:29 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank u so much!!!
Your welcome.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #87
Isserley
Isserley began at the beginning.

When I first got my Kobo Libra 2 and set it up with Calibre, I followed the very handy steps in this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...calibre_basic/) to use the built-in Tags column in Calibre to create and manage collections in my Kobo.

This has worked perfectly up to now, but this update seems to have broken it. I just tried plugging my Kobo in to update it with two new sideloaded ebooks in Calibre (for which I had selected the relevant tags/collections for in Calibre), and received the following error message:

calibre, version 6.25.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 174.
Device firmware version: 4.38.21908

Could anyone please help? This feature was so useful for collection management and it'd be a shame if it was no longer possible.
Isserley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isserley View Post
When I first got my Kobo Libra 2 and set it up with Calibre, I followed the very handy steps in this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...calibre_basic/) to use the built-in Tags column in Calibre to create and manage collections in my Kobo.

This has worked perfectly up to now, but this update seems to have broken it. I just tried plugging my Kobo in to update it with two new sideloaded ebooks in Calibre (for which I had selected the relevant tags/collections for in Calibre), and received the following error message:

calibre, version 6.25.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 174.
Device firmware version: 4.38.21908

Could anyone please help? This feature was so useful for collection management and it'd be a shame if it was no longer possible.
This is how you configure calibre to allow calibre to work with an unknown firmware version.

If you are using the KoboTouch driver, you want to do the following.
  1. Go to Preferences
  2. Search for kobotouch
  3. Click Customize plugin
  4. Go to the Medatadata. on device & advanced tab
  5. Under Advanced options, check Attempt to support newer firmware
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Apply
  8. Click Close

If you are using ther KoboTouchExtended driver, select that wen you get the search results. Everything else is the same.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-06-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Who is maintaining calibre so it knows about new Kobo firmware versions?
Old 09-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #90
Isserley
Isserley began at the beginning.

Thanks very much, Jon. I'll give this a go.
Isserley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release