Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #76
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i wasted some more time looking for a reliable e book price comparison site
not because I suddenly can afford to buy hundreds of books but because I wanted more objectivity on what the various e-book retailers were doing
buy no joy- the ones I find via google searches are either dead or broken
if any one cane do better please post links
ebooks.com does seem to be the winner so far. Using Hilary Mantel as my test author, her books are all cheaper there than at amazon
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i wasted some more time looking for a reliable e book price comparison site
not because I suddenly can afford to buy hundreds of books but because I wanted more objectivity on what the various e-book retailers were doing
buy no joy- the ones I find via google searches are either dead or broken
if any one cane do better please post links
ebooks.com does seem to be the winner so far. Using Hilary Mantel as my test author, her books are all cheaper there than at amazon
That's because ebooks.com is reducing the eBooks by 16.66% (VAT reduction) where other sites/publishers are not following the new VAT rules.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #78
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is ebooks the only one, or are other smaller retailers In uk also lowering prices

Amazon and kobo are so dominant here, I struggle to think of other players
Old 05-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #79
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never paid sales tax on eBooks from Amazon in the US.
I pay sales tax on ebooks in the US, and have for years.

Quote:
Order Details
Order #D01-1540137-0227405
Placed on Monday, April 13, 2020

Guardian Angel: A V. I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels Book 7)

Kindle Edition
Sold by Random House LLC
Review this item
$6.99
Item Subtotal: $6.99
Total Before Tax: $6.99
Tax Collected: $0.44
Grand Total: $7.43
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #80
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I pay sales tax on ebooks in the US, and have for years.

Shari
This is my last order from Amazon for an eBook. No tax charged. Maybe Georgia doesn't tax eBooks and your state does.

Quote:
Quantity: 1
Sold By: Penguin Group (USA) LLC

$12.99
Item(s) Subtotal: $12.99
----
Total Before Tax: $12.99
Tax Collected: $0.00
----
Total for this Order: $12.99
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #81
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Whether or not e-book sales are taxed definitely varies from state to state.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #82
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I believe that might be the case.
https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2...sales-tax.html
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I did mention it in one of the two threads on VAT. Also, I've mentioned that ebooks.com is doing the VAT free properly.
How can you prove that? Or prove that Amazon isn't handling VAT properly? Have you purchased a book from each of the sites and seen what they charged?

And the advertised price has nothing to do with whether they handle VAT properly or not. It only has something to do with how much VAT they charge, along with the VAT rate. The fact that Amazon has not changed their advertised price is in no way an indication that Amazon is not handling VAT properly. At the most, it is an indication that they are greedy. But, it's probably more an indication of how long it takes to implement an unexpected change.

And, honestly, why do you care? It isn't going to affect you. I can understand an initial comment, but, after that, wouldn't your time be better spent doing something else. And I mean just about anything else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #84
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How can you prove that? Or prove that Amazon isn't handling VAT properly? Have you purchased a book from each of the sites and seen what they charged?

And the advertised price has nothing to do with whether they handle VAT properly or not. It only has something to do with how much VAT they charge, along with the VAT rate. The fact that Amazon has not changed their advertised price is in no way an indication that Amazon is not handling VAT properly. At the most, it is an indication that they are greedy. But, it's probably more an indication of how long it takes to implement an unexpected change.

And, honestly, why do you care? It isn't going to affect you. I can understand an initial comment, but, after that, wouldn't your time be better spent doing something else. And I mean just about anything else.
Always relevant:

https://xkcd.com/386/

"Price set by publisher" means different things on both sides of the pond because VAT is typically wrapped into the product price in countries that rely on it to shakedown consumers, whereas sales tax is charged separate from the product in countries that use that shakedown approach.

With the VAT rolled into the price, that means that ebook publishers have the option of *not* changing the price as the VAT changes. That is *their* choice, not Amazon's.

When the EU started demanding VAT on books sold from outside the EU publishers reacted differently: some raised prices to preserve their take (and Amazon's) while others kept prices constant, eating most of the VAT cost (and making Amazon eat the rest).

Amazon chose not to take sides.
(They really don't care enough to bother.)

The policy hasn't changed and some publishers will prefer the quiet profit boost from keeping the price at a point consumers have already been paying. Consumers aren't suddenly paying more, after all. It's just tbe government forgoing the old vig.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-03-2020 at 06:33 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The policy hasn't changed and some publishers will prefer the quiet profit boost from keeping the price at a point consumers have already been paying. Consumers aren't suddenly paying more, after all. It's just tbe government forgoing the old vig.
Customers are supposed to be paying less, not the same.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Customers are supposed to be paying less, not the same.
No, customers are supposed to not paying any VAT. The hope is that the reduction in VAT will be passed on. But, it isn't illegal for it not to be.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, customers are supposed to not paying any VAT. The hope is that the reduction in VAT will be passed on. But, it isn't illegal for it not to be.
We don't know if this is true or not. The intention was for eBook prices to go down, not stay the same. I cannot say if it is legal or not what's going on at Amazon.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We don't know if this is true or not. The intention was for eBook prices to go down, not stay the same. I cannot say if it is legal or not what's going on at Amazon.
The intention of the Government was to reduce the price. But, they don't have any real control over what the companies charge. And honestly, there just hasn't been enough time for the effect of this to have settled down.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #89
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Yes we can.
The publishers, who set the price for agency books, can choose to pass on the price reduction or not. There is nothing in any way illegal about them not doing so.
This was announced to everyone's surprised, coming into effect on a Friday. It isn't at all odd that everyone hasn't reacted immediately.
If the prices haven't changed by next week, that means something.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #90
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This was announced to everyone's surprised, coming into effect on a Friday. It isn't at all odd that everyone hasn't reacted immediately.
no, actually, it had been announced long ago, planned for 1st December

then an announcement was made a few days before may 1st, bringing the date forward to then.

Changes to VAT rates and vat exemptions are not unusual.. it has historically been the case that UK govt would announce - in a budget- changes to take effect from midnight same day.. Since VAt began we have had rates of 8, 10, 12.5, 15 and 20 , + zero rated categories + luxury goods tiers for a while also

I don't recall any retailers failing to pass on reductions for e.g. women's sanitary products when the "tampon tax" finally got recalled

Any commercial product pricing package will have parameters for vat rate and vat status which can instantly be amended so as to comply with the law

If UK govt was to announce that due to covid 19, the vat rates on toilet paper, masks, wipes, disinfectants ... would be zero starting tomorrow, all stores would comply, straightaway.

- there'd be no " the price of this toilet roll was set by the manufacturer" nonsense