Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 03:14 PM   #76
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
T

I'm surprised that given your posts in this thread that you are getting old. "Sure, whatever." and "Good for you." tend to suggest someone in the early twenties or younger compensating to their lack of ability to debate by attempting to appear "cool".

I'm a cool 58 years old.

Sometimes, there's no need to debate with people who will never change their minds, me included.

If you buy a Kobo, you must patch it to hell and beyond so the ebooks can look a bit OK. Oh dear... What's to argue? Buy another ereader for God sake!
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:17 PM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
If you buy a Kobo, you must patch it to hell and beyond so the ebooks can look a bit OK. Oh dear... What's to argue? Buy another ereader for God sake!
Other ereaders are even worse. At least I can patch my Kobo; with Kindles and Nooks I can do basically nothing (unless I jailbreak/root them) and would be frustrated forever.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 03:19 PM   #78
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Other ereaders are even worse. At least I can patch my Kobo; with Kindles and Nooks I can do basically nothing (unless I jailbreak/root them) and would be frustrated forever.
And they go on and on...
Old 03-20-2024, 03:22 PM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And they go on and on...
And I guess you must always be the one to have the last word? Others think the same, myself included. That's why those arguments never end.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:25 PM   #80
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Others think the same, myself included. That's why those arguments never end.
Yup.

Quote:
And I guess you must always be the one to have the last word?
What famous last words would you like to have? Be my guest.
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 03:28 PM   #81
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What famous last words would you like to have? Be my guest.
Famous is not important; what's important is that they're the last.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:34 PM   #82
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Guys, in the afternoon i had to do a factory (soft) reset to my Kobo...after only 2 weeks.... does it seem normal to you? And it freezed..at last...while I was attempting to resize font in a kepub...Finally I started to hate this format and I definitely think these kobos are absolutely inferior to kindle.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #83
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
...and I definitely think these kobos are absolutely inferior to kindle.
They're not, but they do have their quirks. They're vastly more customizable and configurable (with all the patches and config options), but they're also more capricious. If you want something simple and sturdy working out of the box without any messing and fussing, Kobo may not be the most suitable ereader for you. That said, there are plenty of non-fussy users who never modify their Kobos and have no issues.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:43 PM   #84
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm a cool 58 years old.

Sometimes, there's no need to debate with people who will never change their minds, me included.

Oddly, the only patch I use on my Kobo ereaders is the one making the base font size in epub and kepub match. I get line height, font weight, margins, etc. out of the box. So I would disagree with your "must patch it to hell and beyond" comment.

I do edit most of my ebooks but that is due to too many ebook creators failing to learn from the hundreds of years of history involved in creating printed books and then realizing and allowing for the differences between an ebook and a printed book. Too many of those creators still seem stuck in the ransom letter days of font usage seen with the early Macintosh computers. I started down that road with my original Kobo when I realized that errors in the CSS caused RMSDK to discard the entire stylesheet. Since then, I have learned that feeding ePubs that do not cause FlightCrew and epubcheck to toss screenfuls of error messages is the best ways to make my reading experience more enjoyable.

However since you think that I should purchase another ereader, please suggest one that will let me borrow ebooks from my local library using Overdrive, have the flexibility in managing metadata using calibre, allow me to fetch reading status, percentage, etc. to populate my reading status columns in calibre and allow me to install the firmware revision of my choice without having to root/jailbreak the device.

I have compared reading ebooks on my Kindle Paperwhite, several other brands of ereader and many generations of Kobo going back to the Kobo original. I prefer the Kobo's flexibility in setting margins (what idiot at Lab126 decided that chewing up 1.5cm of a 9cm wide screen at the minimum margin settings was a "Good Idea"?), font sizes, font weight, etc.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-20-2024 at 03:47 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:56 PM   #85
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
That said, there are plenty of non-fussy users who never modify their Kobos and have no issues.
Do you mean that my own device can be bugged?
Old 03-20-2024, 04:09 PM   #86
Gone
Out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

However since you think that I should purchase another ereader, please suggest one that will let me borrow ebooks from my local library using Overdrive, have the flexibility in managing metadata using calibre, allow me to fetch reading status, percentage, etc. to populate my reading status columns in calibre and allow me to install the firmware revision of my choice

Those are perfectly good reasons to buy a Kobo.

The only thing I miss on Kindle is the complete metadatas that I had with Kobo.

For me Kepub were perfectly fine. And so are ePub that I send to my Kindle. I prefer the Kindle software and some options.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:12 PM   #87
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No. Occasional freezing (especially when accessing the reading settings several times in quick succession) is not that uncommon with Kobos, but neither is it something that happens constantly. Kindles almost never freeze, true.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:17 PM   #88
repilo
Connoisseur
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As has been said, the version of RMSDK Kobo is using does not handle ePub 3 specific features because it's not the latest version.
Has Kobo ever updated their version of RMSDK?
Is there any chance they will?
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:21 PM   #89
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That said, there are plenty of non-fussy users who never modify their Kobos and have no issues.
Quote:
That seems to be a rather odd response to @Sirtel's comment.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by your "own device can be bugged"? The NSA is listening to you while keeping track of what you are reading? Your device has programming bugs (the comment about any program more complex that "Hello, world" has bugs comes to mind)?

You like the choice between mobi, KF8/azw3 and KFX though you have difficulties telling them apart when reading?

People vary in what they expect from their reading experience. Some people don't mind words being misused, others are not so easily pleased.

Some of my pet peeves that I edit out:

Misuse of homonyms or near homonyms. One recent military SF book comes to mind when the author used repel instead of rappel. When you have the team travelling in a mountainous area requiring multiple rappels, that misuse became very annoying. Or one book my spouse read where the author used rain, rein and reign incorrectly. While riding in the rein, she pulled on the horse's rains type of misuse.

Specifying Times New Roman as the default body font despite it looking like crap on eInk.

Setting the default line height set to 1.5 so all text looks double spaced (handy for increasing your KU page count though).

Using one HTML/XHTML file for all text content despite the issues that this can cause for many ereaders.

Using indents and paragraph spacing on the same page.

Using an indented paragraph after a scene break.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:23 PM   #90
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
No. Occasional freezing (especially when accessing the reading settings several times in quick succession) is not that uncommon with Kobos, but neither is it something that happens constantly. Kindles almost never freeze, true.
Ok. So, let's imagine you or me or anyone else having stored in their kobo, hundreds of kepub files (the 16 gb of storage may easily convince users to do so), and for each of them one sets fonts, margins, etc in differents ways. So the device should memorize huge different configuration data...I think this type of situation would slow the device down a lot..