Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2023, 08:04 AM   #76
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
FWIW, I'm using a Clara 2E on firmware 4.37.21586 and using calibre and I am not having any database corruptions. I do get the dirty bit error if I connect while reading. I don't get the dirty bit error if I'm on My Books when I connect.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:16 AM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
FWIW, I'm using a Clara 2E on firmware 4.37.21586 and using calibre and I am not having any database corruptions. I do get the dirty bit error if I connect while reading. I don't get the dirty bit error if I'm on My Books when I connect.
Both my Kobos are still on 4.34 and I have no issues whatsoever when connecting. Calibre is always already open and I eject the Kobo from there. No dirty bit error even when connecting from an open book.

Reading all this, I think I'll stay on 4.34.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Both my Kobos are still on 4.34 and I have no issues whatsoever when connecting. Calibre is always already open and I eject the Kobo from there. No dirty bit error even when connecting from an open book.

Interesting. I've been getting the dirty bit error on various firmwares and various Kobos (Glo HD, Forma, Sage) for quite a while.

I do connect while I am in calibre, and disconnect using calibre (2 versions).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #79
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
I was not having any issues at all until I did a factory reset. Luckily, I can work around it by rebooting the ereader before connecting it (via USB) to the computer. Now I get neither the dirty bit nor the database corruption.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #80
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Interesting. I've been getting the dirty bit error on various firmwares and various Kobos (Glo HD, Forma, Sage) for quite a while.

I do connect while I am in calibre, and disconnect using calibre (2 versions).
Goes to show that there's no rhyme or reason to Kobo bugs.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not seeing it on Linux Mint 21.1 + Calibre 6.22.
Elipsa, Libra, Libra2, multiple Sages.
Connecting daily.
Nor my assistant on his Linux Laptop and Sage.

Could it be some weird Windows issue? I've seen it randomly with USB sticks on Win7 and SD cards on Win 10 in the past.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:30 PM   #82
lexic
Longtime Lurker
lexic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Boox Leaf 2, iPad mini 6, Kindle Oasis 3 & Scribe
I had the issue with database being corrupt and my Sage rebooting to a reset after trying to eject from my Mac. I was able to fix with a backup without resetting. (Use the "don't have WiFi" option to connect via USB, replace the .kobo database files and reboot.) I seem to only have lost some font settings.

I'm not sure if I had ejected in Calibre (or had even used it that connect). Blamed Mac developer beta until I checked here. Calibre 6.22

Last edited by lexic; 08-01-2023 at 01:31 PM. Reason: replaced wrong word
lexic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:35 PM   #83
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Ditto.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:35 AM   #84
redlob
Connoisseur
redlob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O edition 2, Kobo Libra 2
No problems here on 2 libra's! Using Calibre 6.23 on a Macbook Air.
redlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:48 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Connecting daily.

Could it be some weird Windows issue? I've seen it randomly with USB sticks on Win7 and SD cards on Win 10 in the past.
No weird Windows issue here with my Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:57 AM   #86
cycojesus
Enthusiast
cycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Connecting daily.

Just happened to me again 5 minutes ago. Been running Linux for more than 2 decades now.

I ran `sync` compulsively, waited before ejecting from calibre, I still can't find a pattern of circumstances causing the issue but it does happens semi-regularly to me.

At least restoring backups work but then accounts, wifi, brightness, … have to be reconfigured. It's annoying.

Oh and yesterday I had to fix the KoboReader.sqlite database, it had corrupted itself with several 'row X missing from index'

EDIT: I use the latest calibre which is 6.23, could it be it?

Last edited by cycojesus; 08-03-2023 at 02:59 AM. Reason: calibre version
cycojesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:07 AM   #87
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So far from a massive sample of 4 people, it appears that rebooting the Sage before connecting to the computer keeps Windows from complaining about the dirty bit being set. It's pretty simple to add that line to the NickelMenu config file. Replace main with whatever other menus you want to see the item in.

Code:
menu_item : main    : Reboot             : power          : reboot
menu_item : main    : Shutdown         : power          : shutdown
No guarantees but has looked good so far.

When the Elipsa 1 was released, I had non-stop db corruption. It was all due to the Elipsa not closing CBR files and corrupting the DB every time I connected it to my Mac. Turns out all Kobos had the problem, but most ppl don’t read comics in a small screen. Took me all summer to figure out that one (a Kobo dev wandered by my post and saved me). I even had Kobo replace my Elipsa. I took to rebooting my Elipsa—just as you suggested above—using NickelMenu just before connecting it to my Mac. It did the trick. No more db corruption. Should work in this case with the Sage until Kobo fixes the issue within the next few months.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:10 AM   #88
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by afakler View Post
I have the same problem with my AuraOne (4.35.20400). The workaraound is to plug the reader in before starting Calibre and to eject it after closing Calibre. If i do it that way, there is never a problem.
So, for me it looks like it is a Calibre problem.

If Kobo is keeping the database open, as has happened in the past, then Calibre is indeed the culprit, but it’s Kobo’s fault. You can also, probably, run into the problem with Kobo Desktop. That’s what happened to me when the first Elipsa FW featured this bug.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:01 AM   #89
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I haven't noticed any problems on my Aura One, lucky me!
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:33 AM   #90
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I did find long ago that connecting while in a book could cause a database issue, so I always return to "My Books" before connecting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release