Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #76
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I like it ! The battery in the cover is what kept me from getting the first Oasis. Also like that it's a little bigger 7. Waterproofing and audio are a nice to have. I'll wait for reviews from those who ordered one. Hopefully all goes well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #77
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
$489 in Canada for the 32GB... and this is without the cover at $70 and taxes...
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #78
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
$489 in Canada for the 32GB... and this is without the cover at $70 and taxes...
Are you planning to record a teardown video when you get it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #79
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Pretty sure it would be followed by a video of my wife tearing me up shortly after seeing the bank statement.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #80
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you buy me one, I will make a tear down video of it.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #81
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Thanks. 5 levels of bold and more font sizes. It's like they want me to buy it or something!

I paid $120 ($130?) for a voyage refurb and I'm really happy with it. This will be twice as much. It's a toughie. Initiating justification procedure...
I'm really excited for this release, more so than I realistically thought I would ever be. It ticks my main two boxes, a larger screen and more storage. Ideally, I would have preferred a Voyage 2 with these formats, but as Harry T has observed on another thread, the Oasis 2 removes some of the key differences between the Oasis and Voyage in terms of battery management and adaptive lighting, which I really like. A wider range of fonts is also welcome.

I have just pre-ordered the 32 GB WiFi/3G model and the merlot leather cover (waterproofing is one thing I am not botheerd about). This was an easy decision for me, despite that coming to over £370, given the advantages of this new model. Last year I hesitated a week before ordering the Oasis 1 as I had doubts. Anyway, I will recoup a chunk of the costs by selling my two Voyages. Am now off to download/upload the new software update to them to see what the new fonts look like. Exciting times!

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #82
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I'm really excited for this release, more so than I realistically thought I would ever be. It ticks my main two boxes, a larger screen and more storage. Ideally, I would have preferred a Voyage 2 with these formats, but as Harry T has observed on another thread, the Oasis 2 removes some of the key differences between the Oasis and Voyage in terms of battery management and adaptive lighting, which I really like. A wider range of fonts is also welcome.

I have just pre-ordered the 32 GB WiFi/3G model and the merlot leather cover (waterproofing is one thing I am not botheerd about). This was an easy decision for me, despite that coming to over £370, given the advantages of this new model. Last year I hesitated a week before ordering the Oasis 1 as I had doubts. Anyway, I will recoup a chunk of the costs by selling my two Voyages. Am now off to download/upload the new software update to them to see what the new fonts look like. Exciting times!

The new software version isn't available yet, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself, as it's evening now in the UK, but of course not yet in the USA. My bad!

John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #83
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
Pretty sure it would be followed by a video of my wife tearing me up shortly after seeing the bank statement.
Maybe the price is Amazon's attempt to stop anyone from taking them apart to reverse engineer them.
Plus we don't know how much glue they are using on this model yet.

Or it might be just a chunk of black plastic with a screen on the top surface.
That would slow hobbyists down a bit.

The Amazon "Dash Buttons" are getting real close to being one solid chunk of plastic.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #84
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No its Not ...
This item will be released on October 31, 2017. Pre-order now
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We were discussing the announcement of the new product, not its shipping.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #86
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An impressive feature list.

As for Text-To-Speech. I don't expect that we'll see this on the new Oasis or on any future Kindle. Amazon are clearly aiming at having professionally read audiobooks integrating with the books instead.

Waterproof, 7" 300dpi screen, bluetooth, 32GB. If I was in the market for a new Kindle, this is the one I'd be getting.

But I can't justify one. My current Voyage does all that I need.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As for Text-To-Speech. I don't expect that we'll see this on the new Oasis or on any future Kindle. Amazon are clearly aiming at having professionally read audiobooks integrating with the books instead.
Like recent Kindle models, it has "Voice View", which is TTS (in fact it's complete device operation via voice, for the blind).
Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #88
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It depends on the audio quality and of course how long the book is and how fast the narrator reads. At ‘standard’ quality 25 hours is about 350MB (probably equivalent to 500-650 page book). ‘Enhanced’ will be roughly twice that. But there will probably be an option to download ‘parts’, especially if they back-port this feature to older Kindles.

I doubt they’ll make provision for mp3.
You supply your Own Blutooth Speakers. So Quality depends on how much you spend on speakers.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
You supply your Own Blutooth Speakers. So Quality depends on how much you spend on speakers.
Not "quality" in that sense, Barbara; quality in the sense of how much the data of the speaker's voice is compressed. An MP3 file encoded at 256kb/sec will sound a lot better than the same original source encoded at 64kbit/sec, but the file will be 4x larger.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #90
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
While I'm a Kobo fan and this doesn't have enough to warrant a switch from my KAO, this new Oasis looks really nice. Frankly, it looks a lot like what the Oasis should have been in the first place. The original was always a head-scratcher to me in terms of the features $290 got you—it didn't even have the ambient light sensor of the Voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Honestly this looks like a step backwards in some ways: almost twice as heavy due to the move-back of the battery
It's only a 48% increase in weight. Yes, it's heavier, but nowhere near twice as heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
you *still* need a case almost as expensive as the old one unless you actually like the the 'chipped and beaten' look after a few months of use
You could just use a neoprene sleeve if you need to take it anywhere. Those things cost $10 or less. I couldn't stand having a case on an eReader while actually using it.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote