Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: Yup. (Although, not true anymore on FW >= 5.6, and I imagine >= 5.5 too [i.e., KT2 & KV]. The factory updater is stricter there.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #77
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
@NiLuJe - Thank you for all your hard work on our behalf!

I have a PW 2014 on 5.4.5.1. Which fw would be the best one to downgrade to for your JB? Any idea which one is the best or more stable? I've had some real stinker updates in the past for my PW1 and know which ones to avoid, but have no clue which one to choose for my new one. Is there a preferred link besides this one?

Thank you for your help!

http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #78
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, that and dsmid's mirror linked on that page, which has the last couple as well. If you know the firmware version you want, you could also play with filenames and try to download it from Amazon. For instance: http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_5.4.3.2.bin
The only thing they change is the firmware number, and apparently even after they stop linking the old firmware at http://amzn.com/kindlesoftwareupdates they still host the file and make it accessible.

Not owning a PW, I cannot be very judging but I can say this -- many people are avoiding fw >= 5.4.2 since it comes with the Cloud Collections debacle.

In order to get there on the PW2 you will have to downgrade to 5.4.2 (an example firmware that can be jailbroken) and then go HERE for the partition images for the 5.4.0 firmware, and manually flash them from the diags partition. There is a README there.
It is easier on the PW1, just use the provided fw5.3.9

Alternatively, just go to any old firmware, jailbreak, then upgrade again. The jailbreak will NOT be lost.
I suggest just using the earliest fw for the jailbreaking, it is easier than remembering which ones can be jailbroken and if you will upgrade again right afterward, who cares?

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #79
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Not owning a PW, I cannot be very judging but I can say this -- many people are avoiding fw >= 5.4.2 since it comes with the Cloud Collections debacle.
Oh, yeah. Thanks. I'll avoid that fw! If you ask me, cloud collections is a debacle in and of itself.

There is a similar one 5.4.4.2, that made me want to throw my PW1 against the wall. One day it was perfect and the next day... it wouldn't work right, froze every two minutes, slow as hades, so, so miserable. I downgraded my PW1 to its original shipping fw 5.3.4, did the jb and then brought it back up to 5.4.4.1 after installing the backdoor lock. It's back to being as great as before, but better.

Still playing with KUAL goodies, etc., on my PW1, and having a great time with it.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #80
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As eschwartz said, if you intend to update afterwards, the version you choose to downgrade to is irrelevant, as long as it's one supported by the JB (as I'm writing this, <= 5.4.4.2) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #81
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(as I'm writing this, <= 5.4.4.2) .
Many thanks, sir!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #82
bunbury
Enthusiast
bunbury doesn't litterbunbury doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question

Hi

I tried to downgrade my jailbroken PW1 from 5.4.4.2 to 5.4.2 (in order to use certain hacks that do not work well with >5.4.2 firmwares).
I downloaded 5.4.2 firmware on the Amazon web site (went to the PW1 update page, copied the URL of the file, tweaked it and downloaded the file).
I used the two methods provided here. Copied the .bin to the update folder and then updated the firmware.
Each time I got update successful extremely quickly then a longer one and a reboot and the I got UPDATE UNSUCCESSFUL ERROR 11.
After a reboot I checked and saw the device was NOT downgraded.
What an I doing wrong ?

Thanks
bunbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #83
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@bunbury-
I'm pretty sure FW 5.4.2 is a PW2 firmware. You might want to double check.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #84
bunbury
Enthusiast
bunbury doesn't litterbunbury doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@bunbury-
I'm pretty sure FW 5.4.2 is a PW2 firmware. You might want to double check.
Riiiiiight. Makes sense
I tried with 5.3.9 which is PW.
Works !
Thanks.
I jsut have to add backdoorlock and it will be all right.
bunbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 AM   #85
madagascaradam
Enthusiast
madagascaradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
Successfully downgraded from 5.6.1.1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eschwartz: Yup. (Although, not true anymore on FW >= 5.6, and I imagine >= 5.5 too [i.e., KT2 & KV]. The factory updater is stricter there.).
I just want to tell everyone (since this thread is about downgrading) that I had some success downgrading my PW1 from firmware 5.6.1.1 (an unintended OTA update) back down to 5.3.9. My kindle was previously jailbroke before the OTA update.

I described the steps I used in the Kindle Collections Manager thread.
madagascaradam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade