Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #76
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
DixieGal--try Konrath's website. I think he has different formats available there (I am not sure if it is epub or PDF) I don't know if he still has it either--I got my copy from his website though, so I know it used to be there!

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #77
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Try Sam Bourne.

His novels are sort of similar in style, scope and to a certain extent theme to Dan Brown's, but *much* better written and with infinitely better research behind them.

They first appeared (as far as I'm aware) when Dan Brown first was at the peak of his initial (sales) popularity. The covers of the paperback editions I have look similar to the Dan Brown books I have, and I suspect the visual similarities between the names of the authors may not be 100% coincidental. This might lead to an assumption that they at least started out as an attempt to cash in on Dan Brown's popularity; that might well be the case, but these books are much, much better.

Sam Bourne is a pseudonym for Jonathan Freedland, a well-known British "serious" journalist.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #78
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How about Umberto Eco...
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #79
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
Lacking in the aesthetic aspect, yes.
Lacking in the intellectual aspect, no.

You think 80000000 readers are all idiots?
I will note that the 7th Harry Potter book had the highest initial print run of any book ever.

Popularity equate to quality.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #80
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Alistair Maclean (up to 1986, the ones after are ghost written), Robert Ludlum and Arthur Hailey
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #81
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I will note that the 7th Harry Potter book had the highest initial print run of any book ever.

Popularity equate to quality.
Making the Bible the best book ever!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #82
hywel
hywel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Groucho Marx (or someone like that, anyway) said something that applies well to Dan Brown's work:

'From the moment I picked up your book to the moment I put it down, I could not stop laughing. Some day I may even read it.'
hywel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #83
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
May be that why his books are fictions
It's like going to the movies expecting every thing accurate. That no fun or entertaning.
Even fiction does not necessarily give one the freedom to cast aside reality. If a novel is apparently set in the real world (or as close to the real world as any work of literature can get), then it needs to play by certain rules. No one would take an author very seriously if he said that Paris was on the Rhine and that Rome was in Spain.

When an author is writing conspiracy thrillers like Mr. Brown does, it is reasonable for his audience to expect that he will work within the uncertainties of history, not contradict what is known to be true or false.

In addition, as other posters have pointed out, Mr. Brown has shamelessly played coy about exactly how much he fabricated. Students of history know how loose he has played with the facts, but he hasn't admitted it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #84
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
More than Mao's 'Little Red Book' ??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #85
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
Hi, everyone. I wake up to be thrilled by so many responses. Thank you for the recommendations. I will give some of them a try.
Now I found my title a bit misleading. I should have made it more precise. Say I am looking for something more Dan Brownish, or with Dan Brown characteristics, or just having the feel of Dan Brown. I don't know how to make myself more clear. I am not talking about religious themes, totems, symbols, or cryptology. I understand most people would see Dan Brown's fictions as being fully made up of such kind of devices. But for me they are not the deciding factors that make him stand out.
Ahi mentioned Eco. I read his works. They have similar religious themes as Da Vinci Code, but they are completely non-Dan Brown. Very different. Very very different. Eco is a great scholar, but his fictons are not thrillers, not even close.

Last edited by frui; 09-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #86
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
... Eco is a great scholar, but his fictons are not thrillers, not even close.
Yes they are, and some, like Foucault's Pendulum, are both very good, and hard to put down.

Many find Dan Brown very, very easy to put down, you know.... Both literally and figuratively.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #87
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

I will give an example. In Digital Fortress the protagonist Becker was persuading Megan to give him the ring which was the core of the matter. But Megan would not trust a stranger that's so unbelievable. The misunderstanding went to a climax and Megan hit Becker with some pepperish thing. She was getting away. Becker could not stop her. All hopes was vanishing along with his senses.
Wait. When he woke up, Becker was suprised to see Megan sitting there watching him closely. What brought her back? It's a very simple plot device. Becker shouted "Megan" just before he got into coma. Maybe many people would laught at the simpleness of this technique, but I like it. It's natural. It's logical. And it works.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #88
frui
Connoisseur

Another example of "Dan Brownish" that I like. At the beginning of Da Vinci Code, Langdon was trapped by Fache. We are beginning to feel panick for him. There came Sophie, who claimed she cracked the numbers, which is a good excuse for coming uninvited. Then she gave Langdon a note with a telephone number, saying that the US Embassy was in urgent need to contact him. Langon made the call. It's Sophie's answering machine: you are in great danger blah blah blah................

This is also a simple plot device. It has holes, but it gives you nice surprises. That's something I am looking for in thrillers. I work very hard in my business, under great pressure you know. I want relaxation, easy reading, absorbing excitement. But I hate complete rip off as Jame Patterson. His works are real shames, deserving all your criticism meant for Dan Brown above. I think most of the thriller writers are more like James Patterson, in one way or another. But Dan Brown is unlike most of them. He took 6 six years to write a novel. Not even serious writers write so slowly and elaborately. I respect him for that. He has a sense of honor, which James Patterson and the like do not have.

Last edited by frui; 09-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #89
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To paraphrase someone I forget: Dan Brown is not an author whose books should be casually laid aside; they should be thrown with great force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Dan Brown doesn't write "great literature", but he's not setting out to do so. I've read all his novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. They are good "escapist" thrillers, not meant to be taken seriously.
So apparently you threw the books with great force after you thoroughly enjoyed them.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #90
frui
Connoisseur

Should I mention there are very little violence in Dan Brown's fictions. No sex.
If you are not counting on violence and sex, you will definitely count more on your brain. A great plus for Mr Dan Brown.