Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2022, 01:58 AM   #76
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
We're talking at cross purposes. My rant was about apps that only do what a web site could do as well or better (like just about every app from a restaurant chain, grocery store, retail chain, TV and radio station, social media site... )
I guess I'm just not a big fan of web apps. I've got a couple Chromebooks I've experimented with, but only use them for Linux applications in Crostini. I'm about to jettison these because, just about every time ChromeOS is upgraded, something goes haywire in its Linux emulator (Crostini). I'm tired of jumping through hoops to fix it.

I don't like Google Docs or 365 or reading online so, I guess, the appeal of a web app (for me) is non-existent.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #77
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess I'm just not a big fan of web apps. I've got a couple Chromebooks I've experimented with, but only use them for Linux applications in Crostini. I'm about to jettison these because, just about every time ChromeOS is upgraded, something goes haywire in its Linux emulator (Crostini). I'm tired of jumping through hoops to fix it.

I don't like Google Docs or 365 or reading online so, I guess, the appeal of a web app (for me) is non-existent.
As I keep saying, I'm talking about apps that only do what a website would do better. Cloud apps have their uses from time to time but I'm not advocating shoving functionality that's better done locally onto websites, I'm complaining about shoving functionality that's better done on websites into apps.

Stuff that's better local should be local, stuff that's better as a website should be a website. I should translate that to Latin and put it on my family crest.

BTW, All my remaining Chromebooks have been re-flashed with custom firmware and run GalliumOS native Linux. They make fine little Linux laptops. I tried the Chromebook web app model until the warranties expired. A small bit of messing to get it done once, then just years of use, no issues.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #78
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They display pretty much the same on the phone, but Firefox sometimes won't allow online payments, etc. — though I'm speaking specifically about the desktop (Linux) version. I don't do online banking on my phone and very little buying at all (B&N, Kobo, and the Kindle apps were the exceptions).
I've not noticed any issues using Firefox for buying on Windows, Android or Linux (though I guarantee you spend more time on Linux than I do).

Gnome Web on the other hand... That browser is an embarrassment.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #79
Buck Wayne
Buck Wayne began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A
haven't seen

I have bought several books using the app on my tablet and have seen zero from google pay. Does this show up in a purchase?
Buck Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Wayne View Post
I have bought several books using the app on my tablet and have seen zero from google pay. Does this show up in a purchase?
You won't see anything. Amazon will. When you say you bought books, do you mean ebook or paper book? Amazon no longer sells ebooks directly on the app. Check my attached screenshots.

Screenshot 1 is what you see when buying a physical book.

Screenshot 2 is what you see when attempting to buy an ebook.

I can't imagine you are still able to buy ebooks within the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 1.png
Views:	1379
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	193957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2.png
Views:	121
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	193958  
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 06:29 AM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can buy ebooks from Google via the Playstore for Google Playbooks. No doubt on iOS from (Apple) Books. I think otherwise a browser is needed now to buy ebooks for an app on a phon or tablet? Except obviously non-Generic Android like Fire (Amazon) or other stores.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #82
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You won't see anything. Amazon will. When you say you bought books, do you mean ebook or paper book? Amazon no longer sells ebooks directly on the app. Check my attached screenshots.

I just bought an ebook from the Kindle app on my Android phone. It's a brand new phone, and the app was installed when the phone was set up, 4 days ago.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220527-095646.png
Views:	118
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	193990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220527-095703.png
Views:	119
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	193991  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:59 PM   #83
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I just bought an ebook from the Kindle app on my Android phone. It's a brand new phone, and the app was installed when the phone was set up, 4 days ago.

Shari
I noticed you're on the Kindle app, not the Amazon one. Try the same in the Amazon one and you should see what I saw. Why it's still available via the Kindle one (I checked and saw the same as you) is a mystery. I wonder how long it will last?
Old 05-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #84
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I noticed you're on the Kindle app, not the Amazon one. Try the same in the Amazon one and you should see what I saw. Why it's still available via the Kindle one (I checked and saw the same as you) is a mystery. I wonder how long it will last?
I suspect the change to the Kindle app is in the works and something is holding up Amazon from getting it out. The Kindle for Android app has not been updated for several months. This is unusual because Amazon normally updates it monthly along with the iOS app (which has continued to be updated).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Quote:
I was unaware you could ever buy ebooks through the Amazon store app. Like @shalym, I'm still able to buy ebooks via the Kindle app (installed from the Google Play store) on my Pixel phone (though it's not something I'd typically do). Was buying ebooks through the Amazon Store app a common practice that people are now missing?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #86
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Was buying ebooks through the Amazon Store app a common practice that people are now missing?
For me it was. With the Amazon app, I could make my purchases through the Amazon Smile program, so some pennies would go to charity. You can't do that via the Kindle app, far as I know.

At any rate, I wouldn't expect the Kindle loophole to last much longer. Don't be surprised to see it updated soon.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
For me it was. With the Amazon app, I could make my purchases through the Amazon Smile program, so some pennies would go to charity. You can't do that via the Kindle app, far as I know.
Fair point. I hadn't thought of the Smile program. I was just unaware using the Amazon Store app versus the Kindle App's store feature was ever even possible (though I never went looking, obviously).

I'll keep an eye on the Kindle app and it's Store feature. It's not something I really need, but I can see how it would be occasionally useful to some. But then everything that can run the Android Kindle App likely has a browser that can be used to buy books and deliver them to said device as well.

EDIT: should have checked my email before posting! I got one from Amazon announcing the upcoming change to the Kindle App.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-31-2022 at 06:33 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #88
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EDIT: should have checked my email before posting! I got one from Amazon announcing the upcoming change to the Kindle App.
Just got it myself.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:30 PM   #89
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey, forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but how will this google payment and commission stuff impact all those apps, especially games, that sell low value digital items throught the app, like coins, power ups, and other in game stuff?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:39 PM   #90
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Just got it myself.
As did I!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KindleAppChange.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	194060