Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #76
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what we need to do is come up with a word that means obtaining a copy of a digital file without paying for it. I'm not going to call this copyright infringement because if that's what it is then what is copyright infringement needs to be changed so this (in effect) is called some form of theft.
That seems a little circular. What's wrong with "copyright infringement", exactly?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #77
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
I
So what we need to do is come up with a word that means obtaining a copy of a digital file without paying for it. I'm not going to call this copyright infringement because if that's what it is then what is copyright infringement needs to be changed so this (in effect) is called some form of theft.
From another thread

Quote:
Google guilty of copyright infringement in France
BBC news today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8420876.stm

Case opened three years ago, and Google's continuation to scan in the interim seems to be the big issue.

EUR 300k fine rather than Herve de La Martiniere's original demands of EUR 15m.

Further EUR 10k fine per day until the previews are down.

amjb
What Google were not found guilty of is theft.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #78
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I think that we need several words for different situations, so here's my proposal:

1. Obtaining a copy which is unavailable legitimately: snaffle or snarf
2. Obtaining a copy which is available, and which you have no copy of in an alternative medium: piracy hence pirate a copy
3. Making a copy of a pbook by obtaining a darknet copy: tenebroreticulography
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That seems a little circular. What's wrong with "copyright infringement", exactly?
It doesn't fit the act wrt new digital media.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #80
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
So what we need to do is come up with a word that means obtaining a copy of a digital file without paying for it.
Unauthorised Copying

(and you are so lucky blink tags don't work!)

And yes, I'm quite aware you evidently hate the concept of copyright so much you want a comprehensive private copy exemption, but some of us actually like copyright and would like to preserve it.

Ben - When you get "tenebroreticulography" into a dictionary I'm going to care. Until then, it's going to reflect on everything you post as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 03-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #81
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Ben - When you get "tenebroreticulography" into a dictionary I'm going to care. Until then, it's going to reflect on everything you post as far as I'm concerned.
What do you mean? Did you miss my invisible <irony> tags - or did you think that I really thought that it would catch on!?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
What do you mean? Did you miss my invisible <irony> tags - or did you think that I really thought that it would catch on!?
It must be that dry Engrish Wit.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #83
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I think we should add an exception to copyright that says if you can say tenebroreticulography 10 times quickly on the witness stand, they automatically find you not guilty.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #84
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think we should add an exception to copyright that says if you can say tenebroreticulography 10 times quickly on the witness stand, they automatically find you not guilty.
I'd vote for that!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #85
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What law? Fair use maybe?

It is stealing. So yeah, it will coming up, you might as well surrender, you will be assimilated.
I think you accidentally agreed with me. You might want to edit your post

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #86
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I think you accidentally agreed with me. You might want to edit your post

Lee
Wait, no, couldn't of.

Hey even DawnFalcon and I agreed on something once.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A EULA is a Licence. Those are contracts.
But is is a valid contract if the EULA is trying to do away with fair use?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Unauthorised Copying

(and you are so lucky blink tags don't work!)

And yes, I'm quite aware you evidently hate the concept of copyright so much you want a comprehensive private copy exemption, but some of us actually like copyright and would like to preserve it.
Copyright is such a mess at present. It doesn't take into account things it needs to take into account. And the fact that Disney can manipulate copyright so easily make copyright almost useless.

I don't hate copyright. But copyright isn't working for the digital age. It's founded in paper and corporations. It needs to be founded on content that is media neutral and stay away from corporations.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #89
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
I really, really dislike attempts to directly push new words in general. Either a word catches on because you use it, or it doesn't. Attempts to deliberately define the language is one of the reasons why we're speaking English, not French.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #90
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
But is is a valid contract if the EULA is trying to do away with fair use?
Most EULA's in Europe are a waste of the electrons used to display them, yea.

And while copyright is a mess, a strong non-commercial copying exemption as sought by the Piratepartys would rip a large chunk out of the market. I don't disagree change is needed, but that one isn't the right sort of change.

(The only IP law I'm happy with is Trademark)