Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #871
sournamja
sournamja began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Here are some stories, the first one was on my previous Glo and opened just fine with it:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2812721
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5442374
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5540198
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5457467

I guess I could go back to downloading everything manually, but you spoilt me with FFF

And thank you for the warning, I do realize the Kobo readers don't update stories - it's not a feature I use a lot, though, so it doesn't bother me.
Attached Files
File Type: epub A Conspiracy of Ravens - Anonymous.epub (16.2 KB, 274 views)
sournamja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #872
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sournamja View Post
Here are some stories, the first one was on my previous Glo and opened just fine with it:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2812721
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5442374
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5540198
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5457467

I guess I could go back to downloading everything manually, but you spoilt me with FFF

And thank you for the warning, I do realize the Kobo readers don't update stories - it's not a feature I use a lot, though, so it doesn't bother me.
Epubcheck doesn't find any errors in any of those, so we're left trying to figure out what Kobo might not like by trial and error.

First, Kobo might not like adobe-hyphenate: none; in CSS (this is included in FFF by default for older Nooks and isn't technically standard).

You can remove it by putting this in your personal.ini:
Spoiler:
Code:
[epub]
output_css: 
 body { background-color: #%(background_color)s;
        text-align: justify;
        margin: 2%%; }
 pre { font-size: x-small; }
 sml { font-size: small; }
 h1 { text-align: center; }
 h2 { text-align: center; }
 h3 { text-align: center; }
 h4 { text-align: center; }
 h5 { text-align: center; }
 h6 { text-align: center; }
 .CI {
     text-align:center;
     margin-top:0px;
     margin-bottom:0px;
     padding:0px;
     }
 .center   {text-align: center;}
 .cover    {text-align: center;}
 .full     {width: 100%%; }
 .quarter  {width: 25%%; }
 .smcap    {font-variant: small-caps;}
 .u        {text-decoration: underline;}
 .bold     {font-weight: bold;}
 .big { font-size: larger; }
 .small { font-size: smaller; }

Another possibility is that Kobo might not like <blockquote> tags. AO3 stories tend to use those around the summary description and author notes. You could test that by editing the epub and removing blockquote tags.

Just saving the epub from Calibre's Edit Book is worth trying, too, in case it's something obscure like Kobo caring about white space metadata files.

You might also try using Calibre's Convert feature and convert epub to epub. If that works on Kobo, we could compare and see what's different between the two.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #873
sournamja

Thanks a lot! I'll try as soon as I can, and keep you updated.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #874
sournamja

I didn't have to go very far: looks like the adobe-hyphenate: none was the problem. I downloaded three different stories and opened them without any difficulty.

I'm not relishing dealing with the few hundred stories already downloaded, but at least I can keep using FFF.

Thank you very much for your quick help!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #875
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not relishing dealing with the few hundred stories already downloaded, but at least I can keep using FFF.

Thank you very much for your quick help!
Good to know, I'll probably remove that from the default now.

If you do Update Always, it will update the CSS without downloading everything again.
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #876
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I didn't have to go very far: looks like the adobe-hyphenate: none was the problem. I downloaded three different stories and opened them without any difficulty.
That shouldn't be a problem. The epub you uploaded worked fine on my Glo HD. And epubs are read using the Adobe RMSDK based renderer. Guess what adobe-hyphenate is aimed at? There is plenty of discussion in the Kobo forum about using this to turn off hyphens. I tested the book both with and without adobe-hyphenate: none. Both worked and adobe-hyphenate: none had the intended effect.

If there is an error in a stylesheet, the device usually ignore the stylesheet and uses defaults for everything.

As to possible tags causing a problem, that will only happen if there is an error in the book. They do understand anything that is valid in an epub, and probably more. I there is a mismatched tags, there will be problems, but any epub validater will see these as well.

As you said it also hung on the library list, then it was probably something else. Did you let the device update to the latest firmware when you set it up? This is 3.19.5613.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #877
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello Jim
So, I tried it again today. I deleted the two stories and tried the steps you suggested. To make it short, it works now. I have no idea what went wrong yesterday.

For the sake of completeness: I used add_to_extra_titlepage_entries... without anything else under replace_metadata. FFF had put all the extra-metadata on the title page and in the calibre tags. Then I put the replace_metadata back in. I deleted one story and re-downloaded it, from the other I deleted only the metadata and let them download again. Both stories downloaded and FFF edited the metadata as it should.

So - everything works fine now. Once again many thanks, Jim.
(Is there possibly any way that I could do something nice for you for once?)
firefoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 AM   #878
sournamja

I did yell "victory" too soon - tried again this morning, had the problem again with another story.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/695705 => Opens
All Shall Return to Light - bobbiewickham.epub

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3473315 => Doesn't, like the previous ones I linked; but opens if I download it directly from AO3
Elama - shakeskp.epub (dl with fff)
Elama.epub (dl from ao3)

I did let my reader update; I even tried a hard reboot and re-updating it at first when I realized there was a problem, and used the Kobo app just in case. It didn't change anything, that's when I started looking at the problem more closely, and it looked like it came from FFF.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #879
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I did yell "victory" too soon - tried again this morning, had the problem again with another story.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/695705 => Opens
Attachment 144995

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3473315 => Doesn't, like the previous ones I linked; but opens if I download it directly from AO3
Attachment 144996 (dl with fff)
Attachment 144997 (dl from ao3)

I did let my reader update; I even tried a hard reboot and re-updating it at first when I realized there was a problem, and used the Kobo app just in case. It didn't change anything, that's when I started looking at the problem more closely, and it looked like it came from FFF.
None of those, either your attached versions or using FFF to download them, caused any problems on my Glo HD. And the French ones gave me the opportunity to test the Francais-English dictionary. The problem is probably somewhere else.

Things to check:
- The database on the device might be corrupt. You can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to check. Or any SQLite database manager can do it.
- Are you using the KoboTouchExtended driver to convert to kepub during the send?
- Have you selected the "Modify CSS" option in the driver? And of so, what is in the "kobo_extra.css" file?

In any case, I do not think this is a FFF problem. It is something strange going on with your Kobo Glo HD. It would be better to start a thread in the Kobo forum for troubleshooting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #880
sournamja

Something strange happening on my Kobo - I'm not even surprised.

KoboUtilities doesn't find anything; I do use KoboTouchExtended but haven't selected "Modify CSS". I'm moving my problem to the Kobo forum as soon as I have a bit of quiet.

Jim, sorry for the bother and thank you for your help!
David, thank you too!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #881
Loulybob
Loulybob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi! I love this plugin and it makes my life so much easier. Just wondering - could http://firefly.populli.org/ potentially be supported? It doesn't get updated (2 new stories in the last month or so) very often but there's 1300+ stories there and quite a few I would like to download.
Loulybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #882
saluli
Connoisseur
saluli began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3,
Hello!
I am having difficulties with Whofic and Fanfiction.net.

On Whofic, I am not able to get the Fandom column filled. Probably the site uses something different and I am not knowing what to put on the personal.ini

On fanfiction.net, I am having problems to download fics. After I agree to update the library, the progress stops. Anyone with the same problems?

2 of the stories i tried:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11473518/6/Perfect-Muse
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6121177/7/

thanks.
saluli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:22 AM   #883
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello saluli!
Just tried to download the stories, and then udated them with 'always overwrite'. Worked both times without trouble.
firefoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #884
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version (direct link)

2015-12-31

- Update base_xenforoforum for SV threadmark change.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #885
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
I am having difficulties with Whofic and Fanfiction.net.

On Whofic, I am not able to get the Fandom column filled. Probably the site uses something different and I am not knowing what to put on the personal.ini
The whofic.com adapter doesn't fill a metadata named fandom (AO3 has fandoms, but it's the only one). Like most adapters, it fills category and genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
On fanfiction.net, I am having problems to download fics. After I agree to update the library, the progress stops. Anyone with the same problems?

2 of the stories i tried:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11473518/6/Perfect-Muse
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6121177/7/
I see no issues with those. You'll have to be much more specific, such as running calibre in debug mode and posting the log.

Tags
fanfiction