|
|
#8641 | |
|
Gentleman and scholar
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 11,650
Karma: 111528596
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Space City, Texas
Device: Clara BW; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Paperwhite 3
|
The first two Simon Ark collections by Edward D. Hoch are on sale. These are stories that originally appeared in the mystery pulps. I first heard of them via the Paperback Warrior podcast. I think the blog does a better job of explaining the stories than I would. TLDR - These are mysteries that may or may not have a supernatural angle to them. That is always left up to the reader.
Quote:
![]() The second collection is The Quests of Simon Ark: And Other Stories. $2 at Amazon and Kobo. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8642 |
|
Als clinch first
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 7,814
Karma: 32044471
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
|
Speaking of Hugh Pentecost, here is a novelet called Cancelled in Red.
Triple Detective Magazine Fall, 1949 Three novelets plus five short stories. $1.99 https://www.radioarchives.com/Triple...l_p/re1349.htm |
|
|
|
| Advert | |
|
|
|
|
#8643 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,813
Karma: 25155167
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
Never Flinch (Holly Gibney #4) by Stephen King is $3 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8644 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
A Murder in Springtime is the most recent (2026) in Martin Walker's generally excellent IMO Bruno series. It's £0.99 in the UK for only a few more hours, if anyone is still up late there
. (I'm sorry to be late with it - I'm seriously, insanely, swamped at work, which is why I haven't been around much - hopefully the swampedness will end at the end of this month, or at worst, the end of October...) Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0FK2SB5N2 Kobo UK: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/a-murder-in-springtime Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8645 | |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
Almost three years on, A World of Curiosities is £0.99 again in the UK. The links below are still good....
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
| Advert | |
|
|
|
|
#8646 | |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,273
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8647 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,813
Karma: 25155167
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
The Devotion Of Suspect X (Detective Galileo Series) by Keigo Higashino is £1 in the UK (Kobo, Amazon)
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8648 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
Clete is the next to most recent (2024) in the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke. It's £0.99 in the UK right now, although probably not for too much longer.
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CTJWPSGW Kobo UK: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/clete-1 Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8649 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,813
Karma: 25155167
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam is $2 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8650 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,327
Karma: 13614476
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
|
Strange Buildings by Uketsu is £0.99 on Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0FRNFY3H2 I'm assuming it's a monthly deal? These are mysteries that rely heavily on illustrations, so maybe not well suited to ebooks, but I read the previous books on my iPad with no real problems. And apparently there's an audiobook. I don't know that's going to work. I enjoyed Strange Pictures and Strange Houses, although I felt the latter took some leaps of logic that weren't really warranted, and I guess Buildings is in the same style, so I'll have to see how I get on with it. |
|
|
|
|
|
#8651 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
I’m not much of a movie aficionado – I barely watch at home, much less actually go to a movie theater. But a bunch of the films on the Los Angeles Times’ just-published list, The 33 Best LA Crime Movies, Ranked, are adaptations of books I’ve read and liked. And several more are based on books I now intend to read...
I also enjoyed just reading the reviews that comprise most of the article, at least partly because I’m a native Angeleno and have trouble imagining wanting to live anywhere else. But, as the article points out, countless classic pulp mysteries are set in LA, and LA was home base for many of the earliest noir writers, so there’s plenty to enjoy in the list, even if you’re not an Angeleno at heart. I’m not sure if the article is behind a pay wall since I have a subscription. But if it is, hopefully you can find access through your local library. Los Angeles Times: https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-crime-movies? |
|
|
|
|
|
#8652 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
Why Kings Confess is the ninth in CS Harris' excellent IMO Sebastian St Cyr series. It's on sale in both the US and UK right now.
Kindle US, $1.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMCV160 Kobo US, $1.99: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/why-kings-confess Kindle UK, £0.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DMCV160 Kobo UK. £1.70, discountable: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/why-kings-confess Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8653 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
The Yellow Rambutan Tree Mystery is the seventh in Ovidia Yu's Su Lin series. Having fallen in love with Yu's too-short Aunty Lee series, I've also read and really enjoyed several of the books in this series, which is still cozy, but less cozy than Auntie Lee. And the only reason I haven't read more is that I have had a really stressful time in my "real" job for the last couple of years, and am barely keeping up with life, much less reading as much as I'd like
. Rambutan Tree is $0.99 right now in the US...Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJZLJQYX Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...tree-mystery-1 The blurb for the book is basically useless, so here's the "praise" section instead: Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8654 |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
Mike Lupica was a friend of Robert B Parker's and has written estate-sanctioned continuation books in Parker's Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone series. And he now has picked up writing some Spenser books as well, after a dozen-ish in that series were written by Ace Atkins. Hot Property is the second Lupica/Spenser book, and it's on sale in the US for $1.99 right now. I've read a few of his Randall and Stone books and thought they were pretty good, so will give this one a try at this price.
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CW8M2KP1 Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/rob...s-hot-property Spoiler:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8655 | |
|
lost in my e-reader...
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,405
Karma: 68439138
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sunny southern California, USA
Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
|
A couple of years later, "E" is for Evidence is $1.99 in the US again. The links below are still good...
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| FREE/BARGAIN - Mystery, Suspense, Thriller - 2016 | koland | Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) | 1687 | 01-01-2017 02:36 PM |
| FREE/BARGAIN - Mystery, Suspense, Thriller - 2015 | koland | Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) | 924 | 12-31-2015 10:56 PM |
| FREE/BARGAIN - Mystery, Suspense, Thriller - 2014 | pdurrant | Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) | 393 | 01-01-2015 03:29 AM |
| Free/Bargain Mystery/Suspense/Thriller May 2014 | pdurrant | Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) | 79 | 06-01-2014 06:58 AM |
| Free/Bargain Suspense/Mystery/Thriller May 2013 | pdurrant | Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links) | 121 | 06-01-2013 09:43 AM |