Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #826
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Before loading into Calibre, put "///Table of Contents///" near the start of the text and "## " at the start of the line before each Chapter heading, e.g.

Code:
///Table of Contents///

## Chapter 1
text

## Chapter 2
text
then see what the book looks like on the reader after conversion
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #827
old soldier
old soldier began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 silver
Dear gwynevans! I'm grateful for your time, that you spending for me. I have got a lot of important information not only about Sony reader, but about much more useful things. Now I can help for many other Sony reader owners, that expierenced the same difficulties with their devices, but couldn't get a help from our community due to they didn't knew English sufficiently. I admire from Kovid, who developed Calibre. Thank you very much, friends!

Last edited by old soldier; 04-07-2009 at 06:29 AM.
old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #828
mmaimon
mmaimon began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Lrf Output

I used Calibre to convert a pdf book, the outcome was a pure text, although the font size was reasonable and comfort to read on my prs-505 ebook reader, the whole graphics of the book seemed to have lost completely.

I just wanted to know if this what the outcome should be? or is there a way to use Calibre and still keep some of the appearance of the book right?
mmaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #829
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaimon View Post
I just wanted to know if this what the outcome should be? or is there a way to use Calibre and still keep some of the appearance of the book right?
Not with PDF. Try to convert it to LIT first and/or use Bookdesigner.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #830
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've been trying to create an ebook using the demo files for creating books with html2lrf that Kovid attached to the first post of this thread.

My book consists of 11 short stories and I'd prefer if I could handle them seperately instead of having everything in one big file. As far as I understand it's possible to link to files you want included, but apparently I don't know how to do it.

I have a "master" html file with cover and table of contents etc. and then I assume I should put in the links to the short stories that are each an html file. And I assume I should put all files in a zip file before adding it to calibre for conversion.

I guess I don't know what markup to use for linking to the story files. A tried <a href=" ... and <link href="... - not sure if either of those is correct. In both cases I tried linking to three files, but the book that was created only contained the last file and no table of contents. Incidentally, the name of that file is also the last alphabetically, which leads me to suspect it's not working and calibre is simply just converting the last file in the zip archive.

Does all this make sense? I can attach sample file if needed.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #831
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Normally you would only add the master HTML file (the one containing the cover image and table of contents). Calibre will create the required ZIP file pulling in all the files referenced by links in the master one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #832
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, thanks. But it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've one some more testing, it looks like calibre is creating a book from the last file in the list of links. No table of contents or the other files (it's short stories). For example in this list, the book will be created with the last file, in this case "Stuck on you"

<a href="the_allure_of_la.html" />
<a href="the_ghosts_of_christmas_crack.html" />
<a href="stuck_on_you.html" />
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #833
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That does not look like valid HTML to me!

I would expect the links to be of the form

<a href="the_allure_of_la.html">The Allure of La</a>

as the <a> tag is meant to enclose something that can be clicked on.

You should load the first page into the browser and check it behaves like you want it to.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #834
Ea
Wizard

No, you are right, it's not valid. Well, I changed it, and converted again. Now the first file in the list was converted, but still no table of contents or other files. I'm working from the demo file, so I assume it is okay for conversion, and my master file looks like this:

<html>
<head>
<style type='text/css'>
.toc { page-break-after: always; text-indent: 0em; }
.tocpn {text-align: right; }
.tocchr {text-align: right;}
.hanging_indent { padding-left:4em; text-indent:-4em }
.drop { text-indent: 0pt}
.drop:first-letter { font-size:xx-large}
.h2 { page-break-before: always; text-indent: 0em;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Book title</h1>
<p>Blurb text</p>

<h2 id="toc">Table of Contents</h2>
<ul style='page-break-after:always'>
<li><a href="#every_year_again_its_christmas">Every Year Again it's Christmas</a><br /> &mdash;For Silverchipmunk</li>
<li><a href="#now_and_then">Now and Then</a><br /> &mdash;For Laura McEwan</li>
<li><a href="#the_other_side_of_the_window">The Other Side of the Window</a><br /> &mdash;For Ancasta</li>
</ul>

<a href="every_year_again_its_christmas.html">story one</a>
<a href="now_and_then.html">story 2</a>
<a href="the_other_side_of_the_window.html">story 3</a>

</body>
</html>

I don't know if I am adding the links to the files correctly, but I assume if I want a table of contents that link to the story headers, I would need to do it this way?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #835
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
How exactly are you converting?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #836
Ea
Wizard

I'm creating the html file(s). Then importing them into calibre and converting via the GUI.

Edit: if I put everything into one big file it works as intended - which is why I'm assuming the problem lies in linking to the individual story files...

Last edited by Ea; 05-03-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added note
Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #837
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You HTML file should all be in one folder and the HTML file you import into calibre should be the one that links to all others. Also when you import it, does calibre create a ZIP file?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #838
Ea
Wizard

I keep all the files in one folder (there's more files in that folder, but I don't know if that's a problem?). Calibre creates a zip file when I import.

I've just checked: I saved the files in calibre to disk after importing the 'master' file, and got a zip archive with these files - see attached screen shot.

It's the 'master' file and the files it links to, And they look okay in a text editor. Also tried one more time to convert to lrf and send the lrf to device, just in case. Still only the first story in the list of three (
<a href="every_year_again_its_christmas.html">story one</a>) and no toc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Billede 1.png
Views:	331
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	28404  
Old 05-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #839
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach the zip file
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #840
itimpi
Wizard

The HTML is still not valid!

It should be something like:
Code:
<li><a href="#now_and_then">Now and Then</a><br /> &mdash;For Laura McEwan</li>
<li><a href="#the_other_side_of_the_window">The Other Side of the Window</a><br /> &mdash;For Ancasta</li>
</ul>

<a name="the_other_side_of_the_window />
<a href="every_year_again_its_christmas.html">story one</a>
<a name="the_other_side_of_the_window.html" />
<a href="the_other_side_of_the_window.html">story 3</a>
The point is that the href="#xxx" type syntax needs a named point in the same file to jump to - it cannot be a reference to an external link.

Whether this would fix your problem I do not know.

Tags
html2lrf, libprs500