Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #811
old soldier
old soldier began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 silver
I don't like Word too much, but I just have a lot of books in PDF format. Now I'm clear, that was a mistake, but I do it in the early steps in my relationship with E-books, and at that time I knew nothing about Calibre. My Reader knew nothing about Cyrillic till now, so that I can't read TXT files in any coding. Some days, a lot of megabytes internet traffic. Help me to resolve this problem, if possible. If not, I understand, of course, that PRS-505 permit the handling and reading PDF, but too slow and without important features.

Last edited by old soldier; 04-03-2009 at 01:41 PM.
old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #812
old soldier

Kovid! Your program, in my poor opinion, more useful, intuitive and bug free software. I have a big pleasure to work with it, when I became clear in their features due to this kind of forum. Last evening I has resolved some of my problems with PRS 505. I bring you a big pardon, but I haven't any posibilities to donate your work. Many thanks. Best regards.
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #813
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad you like it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #814
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by old soldier View Post
I don't like Word too much, but I just have a lot of books in PDF format.
No worries - I've not come across the DRM issue, so can't directly help, but the best way I've currently found to convert PDF to Sony is to use Mobipocket Reader to create a PRC file (which is just a drop & click operation), then drop that file into Calibre & use Calibre to convert it to LRF or EPUB, so maybe give that a go?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #815
old soldier

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll try to perform it, not now due to I'm at work today. I hope, this is usefull way. I guess too, that it possible use some converter (without DRM monitoring) between PDF and Calibre conversion. Please, understand me - I'm not a pirate, I'm only want to read on my Sony reader e-books, that have got from legal sources in cyrillic, with minimum dificultes. Cyrillic coding is not native for E-book Library from Sony and a lot of another software, including honoureable Calibre. Due to this fact *TXT files was fully unreadable, in any possible coding, in my PRS 505, no matter I convert them in Calibre or Sony software, or without coversion at all. Unfortunately, I don't knew English so well to reading art literature; technical issues only.

Last edited by old soldier; 04-04-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #816
old soldier

[QUOTE=gwynevans;418145]No worries - I've not come across the DRM issue, so can't directly help, but the best way I've currently found to convert PDF to Sony is to use Mobipocket ReaderQUOTE]

Many thanks. I have resolved this problem with DRM in PDF files, that appear from nowhere during conversion legal *TXT into LRF.
My way: open TXT from OpenOffice Writer(3.0), save TXT as PDF, and than convert and send to PRS 505 via Calibre, and whatever messages about DRM not appeared! Text on reader in LRF became more readable than in PDF format (aligned to page width, more quikly handling with reader, etc.).
It may be effective for cyrillic languages users, possible for others.
I have a some doubt, what can I doing with existing PDF in my library, may be another way I found.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #817
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a some doubt, what can I doing with existing PDF in my library, may be another way I found.
For existing PDF, try
PDF -> MobiPocket Creator -> PRC -> Calibre

For TXT, better than going via PDF, try
a) TXT -> TXT with Markdown syntax -> Calibre
b) TXT -> HTML -> Calibre
c) TXT -> RTF -> Calibre

[edit]Corrected "MobiPocket Reader" to "MobiPocket Creator"

Last edited by gwynevans; 04-05-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #818
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For PDF...

PDF > Recycle Bin > empty Recycle Bin
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #819
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For PDF...

PDF > Recycle Bin > empty Recycle Bin
Very helpful Jon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #820
old soldier

Unhappy

[QUOTE=gwynevans;419076]For existing PDF, try
PDF -> MobiPocket Creator -> PRC -> Calibre

For TXT, better than going via PDF, try
a) TXT -> TXT with Markdown syntax -> Calibre

Many thanks for your attention and understanding for me, for old wild soldier!
I have downloaded, unzipped and read "Readme Me" file from "Markdown syntax". What I could understand, this software required for this work on my PC some additional soft. I has listen somethig about Perl, but I'm not a programmer, I'm only DSNG engineer. Due to this circumstances, it's too difficult for me, install third party, never before used me software, and integrate to this Markdown. I'm so sorry.

P.S. What about PDF - (PDF<Recycle bin<empty Recycle bin) - absolutely right action! Fully agree.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #821
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
this software required for this work on my PC some additional soft.
No, the needed software is already part of Calibre! Try adding the TXT below to Calibre, converting then seeing the output (should be as the LRF below)
Attached Files
File Type: txt example - Unknown.txt (1.5 KB, 274 views)
File Type: lrf example - Unknown.lrf (11.1 KB, 252 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #822
old soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No, the needed software is already part of Calibre! Try adding the TXT below to Calibre, converting then seeing the output (should be as the LRF below)
Wondering! I have performed recommended actions - download and converting both files. But I couldn't understand (exuse me), how I can integrate downloaded "Markdown*PL" file into Calibre, or they can work separately, as standalone program, and I can process the TXT files before this conversion in Calibre?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #823
gwynevans
Wizzard

Calibre assumes that any TXT files it is given is in Markdown syntax and knows how to process it without anything more needing to be done. With the uploads, the LRF file was created by loading the TXT file into Calibre & converting it to LRF.

The thought was that your input text files might be easy to have added the markdown syntax, using a text editor, which would then load directly into calibre & when converted, give books with chapters, etc.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #824
old soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The thought was that your input text files might be easy to have added the markdown syntax, using a text editor, which would then load directly into calibre & when converted, give books with chapters, etc.
Excuse me twice, no - a lot of times! Please explain to me, respected Gwynevans, how Markdown syntax worked: I have to leave them in folder in which dowloaded and unzipped, or copy them into some appointed directory in PC? What a text editor I have to use?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #825
old soldier

Respected gwynevans! I have got TXT file from library, then load them into Calibre, convert it in LRF and upload in device. Coding of this e-book is true, text fully readable (in this fact I must bring my great respect to Kovid - Sony E-book library couldn't do it with cyrillic texts correctly), but there are no chapters, pages numbers - nothing more than text. What I doing wrong? Or in plain TXT no chapters, pages and nothing else?

Tags
html2lrf, libprs500