Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #796
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I'm not buying anything without a light sensor, looks like Kobo has given up on that.
All the light sensors I've seen on ereaders (all three of them ) have not been all that useful.

gforgiraffe39935's experience pretty much matches what I saw. A light sensor is pretty useless when you are endlessly overriding it. At least Kobo made that easy with the slide finger on left edge of screen to adjust brightness.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #797
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Some of my Kindles had light sensors. I couldn't tell you which. Didn't work worth a hoot so I just manually set it and adjust on those rare times needed.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #798
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've never seen any Ambient light sensor that worked well. They are too small a light target.
I turn them off on TVs, monitors, tablets & phones.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #799
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Recently came into possession of a barely-used Sage from someone looking to get rid of it.

Can anyone who runs KOReader on theirs weigh in on whether the button issue is evident there as well? In stock nickel, it was failing to register my button presses half the time until I discovered that I needed to really hit it dead-on to work. Now I'd say it's about 90% accurate (even though it forces me to hold it slightly higher than I'd like to make sure my thumb hits dead-center every time), although that last tenth still seems to miss on the first press. I'm curious if it's better on KOReader--I've never felt compelled to check it out, but if it fixes that irritation, I just might.

Also, any suggestions on a sleeve cover for the Sage instead of a case? I've currently got it in a sleeve for a 10" tablet, which is fine, but there's a bit of a gap at the top. I've thought about looking into ones like this Kindle Oasis sleeve, but since that was a 7" screen and the Sage is 8", I'm worried it might be a tight fit.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #800
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Recently came into possession of a barely-used Sage from someone looking to get rid of it.

Also, any suggestions on a sleeve cover for the Sage instead of a case? I've currently got it in a sleeve for a 10" tablet, which is fine, but there's a bit of a gap at the top. I've thought about looking into ones like this Kindle Oasis sleeve, but since that was a 7" screen and the Sage is 8", I'm worried it might be a tight fit.
You won't beat a Forefront shell cover.
Very light, folds right. back for one-handed reading, sleeps the Sage when you close it and wakes it up when you open it.
I've had Forefront shell cases for my readers for years, never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forefront-C.../dp/B09SLS8SST
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #801
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Cactus Chef:

c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=22

TL;DR: It's a hardware (-ish) issue, but you have the possibility of side-stepping the issue entirely by not enabling autostandby (the trade-off being it'll murder your battery life ;p).

(I can somewhat confirm from my own experience that firm button presses seem to alleviate the issue somewhat, but it probably has more to do with how this affects the timing of things and how that just happens to make things better ;p).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-21-2022 at 06:03 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #802
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Can anyone who runs KOReader on theirs weigh in on whether the button issue is evident there as well? In stock nickel, it was failing to register my button presses half the time until I discovered that I needed to really hit it dead-on to work. Now I'd say it's about 90% accurate (even though it forces me to hold it slightly higher than I'd like to make sure my thumb hits dead-center every time), although that last tenth still seems to miss on the first press. I'm curious if it's better on KOReader--I've never felt compelled to check it out, but if it fixes that irritation, I just might.
You press the top button to turn the page? Can you reverse the buttons? I did that on my Kindle and now can hold it lower in the natural position and properly turn pages. Good luck.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:44 PM   #803
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
You won't beat a Forefront shell cover.
Very light, folds right. back for one-handed reading, sleeps the Sage when you close it and wakes it up when you open it.
I've had Forefront shell cases for my readers for years, never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forefront-C.../dp/B09SLS8SST
Clicking that link takes me to the Amazon store I have access to, wherein I see

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. "
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:13 AM   #804
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Clicking that link takes me to the Amazon store I have access to, wherein I see

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. "
Oh dear - looks as though Forefront are UK only.

Other makes exist of the same type of 'shell' case though - Fintie do one in the US for example
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:09 AM   #805
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Cactus Chef:

c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=22

TL;DR: It's a hardware (-ish) issue, but you have the possibility of side-stepping the issue entirely by not enabling autostandby (the trade-off being it'll murder your battery life ;p).

(I can somewhat confirm from my own experience that firm button presses seem to alleviate the issue somewhat, but it probably has more to do with how this affects the timing of things and how that just happens to make things better ;p).
Kernel is not hardware
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #806
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I'm not buying anything without a light sensor, looks like Kobo has given up on that.
I've used other light sensors and I don't like them. They never seen to get it right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #807
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
You press the top button to turn the page? Can you reverse the buttons? I did that on my Kindle and now can hold it lower in the natural position and properly turn pages. Good luck.
Position doesn't matter, I've tried both and even rotating 180 degrees to switch hands.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:45 PM   #808
mkozlows
Enthusiast
mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mkozlows ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage/KOReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Would this same issue result in "stuck" button presses, as it fails to detect a button up event? Because I have this happen not-infrequently -- turning the page results in it continuing to turn the page repeatedly -- and have been wondering if it's a defective device, or something like that.
mkozlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #809
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows View Post
Would this same issue result in "stuck" button presses, as it fails to detect a button up event? Because I have this happen not-infrequently -- turning the page results in it continuing to turn the page repeatedly -- and have been wondering if it's a defective device, or something like that.
Probably not, as mine sometimes does it as well.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #810
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Quote:
Position doesn't matter, I've tried both and even rotating 180 degrees to switch hands.
Since the OP was using Nickel, perhaps one could try going to Settings => Reading settings and tapping on the Inverted button in the Button Controls section? That setting was there when I first got a Forma and is still there in the latest firmware on my Sage. Though the default does use the lower button to page forward and the upper button to page backwards.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-22-2022 at 05:13 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote