Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #8056
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
OK, I have to admit that I spent the morning reading, ahem... a Harlequin freebie. What can I say? For some reason I have difficulties reading Joyce at home. I found, to my surprise, that it works best on a rush-hour train, because I don't really need to concentrate on what I'm reading, since I know I won't understand it anyway

Besides, I can't read Harlequin on the train, what if someone noticed?

I just finished reading "Backwoods" by Sara Reinke. It's a relatively short horror tale (less than 200 pages on my sony) - really a fun read, although a bit more gore than I'd like at a certain point. But I really liked the build up to the finale.

review
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #8057
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Am in a 'fluffy phase' at the moment and so working through the Janet Evanovich Plum series again.......up to Three to Get Deadly, having read One for the Money on the flight to Beijing, and Two for the Dough on the return!

Not sure if I'll manage all 16/17 before I get all 'fluffified' out, so have my John Connolly back catalogue on standby!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #8058
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
After the first six or so, Plum gets pretty formulaic.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #8059
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post

I got as far as 10 in paperback before I got bored so these are just an exercise in fluff and not having to concentrate too much
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #8060
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just started "The Mystery Knight" novella by G.R.R.M. Also re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I didn't get a chance last month, and I read this month's book club read fairly recently, so I won't be re-reading it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #8061
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
just finished A stranger in the mirror by Sidney Sheldon. wondering if I should continue on another novel of his, or try something different.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #8062
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I enjoyed probably through...8? I stopped reading them after 10. Maybe if she ever does a big finale.

I am reading Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help by Douglas Anthony Cooper. It's YA and pretty interesting. Ghost story--kid can see ghosts and is friends with several. Not bad so far.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #8063
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It looks like my local bookstore has a new buyer for the English books, or at least for the horror section. Before they only had bestselling authors and bestselling series, when you wanted to order something else they always moaned and sighed about it. Today I saw various lesser known authors/books on the shelves. I picked up Kadrey's Sandman Slim. Because it was quiet in the store today I got to read just over 30 pages and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm still rereading The Shining, it's taking me longer than it took me when I was 15 or 16 when I first read it, probably because I now understand more of the story. I hope to finish it Thursday so I can continue with Sandman Slim.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #8064
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I enjoyed probably through...8? I stopped reading them after 10. Maybe if she ever does a big finale.

I am reading Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help by Douglas Anthony Cooper. It's YA and pretty interesting. Ghost story--kid can see ghosts and is friends with several. Not bad so far.
I agree with everything you said-Plum is hilarious until she becomes painful.

Milrose is really good-I thought my son would just love it but he read the first chapter and said "meh" so I picked it up with the attitude I'd read it just so it wasn't a wasted purchase--turned out to be a good book.
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #8065
joker
joker began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3GS, ipad, kindle 3
On Sunday I finished The Golden Compass and started The Subtle Knife on Monday. I'm absolutely loving this series so far! If only the movie had been as good as the first book...
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #8066
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
On Sunday I finished The Golden Compass and started The Subtle Knife on Monday. I'm absolutely loving this series so far! If only the movie had been as good as the first book...
I love the series, too. They are possibly the best YA books I've ever read. I enjoyed the movie, but my friend who saw it with me, and hadn't read the books, said that she had a bit of trouble following it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8067
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo. What a long book! My Kindle tells me I'm about 23% done.

Spoiler:

Dantes has found the treasure and now I think he's going to kick some butt!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #8068
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I agree that Stephanie Plum just gets to be too much, but it's easy, mindless entertainment! I'm reading a book called "Fruitbasket from Hell" right now- it's very in line with Evanovich's style of writing, but with a male protagonist.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #8069
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
my friend who saw it with me, and hadn't read the books, said that she had a bit of trouble following it.
that was what happened to me, Daniel Craig, Ian McKellen and Nicole Kidman are among my favorite people so I liked the movie without understanding it okay, I'll read the series as soon as I finish Rick Riordan's Cold Springs.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #8070
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo. What a long book! My Kindle tells me I'm about 23% done.

Spoiler:

Dantes has found the treasure and now I think he's going to kick some butt!
yes yes, he's surely doing it I can say he's the best of what he does, the more revenge he gets, the more satisfied you'll be