Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #7981
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I did read the first one first, LOL. I just read it several months ago.
Oh ok! I was really confused, LOL! Now hurry up and go finish the rest!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7982
captobvs
captobvs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd generation
So I've decided to read some future historical fiction with The Eugenics Wars by Greg Cox. Can't believe I took so long to finally get down to reading them!
captobvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #7983
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I just finished "Bequest" by A K Shevchenko. Many reviews describe it as a thriller or political-thriller, to me it was simply a mystery. The story was based on a legend of Cossack gold left in the Bank of England to be claimed when Ukraine was again independent. Curiously enough the parts looking back at events over the 300 year history of the bequest were clear enough, it was the switching back and forth between two or three threads of "now" that at times had me confused.

Overall? It was worth reading, the author obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it, but it was not so good that I will be in a hurry to read it again.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #7984
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Been really sick the past several days, but finished and finally reviewed "Alison Wonderland!"
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #7985
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Finished reading Shakespeare's Will, by Meredith Whitford. Powerful and moving historical fiction, about his colourful life, marriage and infidelities, seen both through his eyes and those of his long-suffering loyal wife, Anne Hathaway. Richly filled with descriptions of the political intrigues and hazards of living in Elizabethan England. Meredith's sophisticated use of language, appropriate to the period, is most impressive. I can't wait to read another of her first-rate books.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-26-2011 at 03:17 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #7986
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Finished read Shakespeare's Will, by Meredith Whitford. Powerful and moving historical fiction, about his colourful life, marriage and infidelities, seen both through his eyes and those of his long-suffering loyal wife, Anne Hathaway. Richly filled with descriptions of the political intrigues and hazards of living in Elizabethan England. Meredith's sophisticated use of language, appropriate to the period, is most impressive. I can't wait to read another of her first-rate books.
I'm putting that on my TBR list, it looks really good. Thanks Boxcorner!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #7987
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I'm reading And Quiet Flows the Don by Michail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov. It's long.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #7988
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Finished read Shakespeare's Will, by Meredith Whitford. Powerful and moving historical fiction, about his colourful life, marriage and infidelities, seen both through his eyes and those of his long-suffering loyal wife, Anne Hathaway. Richly filled with descriptions of the political intrigues and hazards of living in Elizabethan England. Meredith's sophisticated use of language, appropriate to the period, is most impressive. I can't wait to read another of her first-rate books.
My understanding is that practically nothing is known of the life of William Shakespeare, so a lot of this must be fiction. Which isn't necessarily bad of course, though personally it bothers me, I don't know why
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #7989
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Actually, there is as much that IS known about the bard as almost any other person of that time. He was, however, a playwright, and no one would have guessed that his fame would extend past these many centuries. "Will in the World" was a good book that documented Shakespeare's life as well as any I've read. Peter Ackroyd had a more recent book, I believe that garnered even better reviews, but which I have not read. The scuttlebutt that continues about a lack of hard information was propagated by those who felt a non-aristocrat simply did not have the skill nor the "brains" to write as well as he did. Of course we have a raft of people held up as the actual author, the best known of which was Francis Bacon. All poppycock. Give the Shakespeare bios a chance. You won't be disappointed with "Will in the World," and the others probably are also good.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #7990
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've begun Jane Gardam's Old Filth - the writing quality is good (I've read her before), but not sure what I think of the plot yet.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #7991
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished "Faithless" by Karin Slaughter and have started "Fractured" by the same author. After that I think my palate would be ready for some great sci-fi again.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #7992
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
My understanding is that practically nothing is known of the life of William Shakespeare, so a lot of this must be fiction. Which isn't necessarily bad of course, though personally it bothers me, I don't know why
Yes, the book is historical fiction, and William Shakespeare was both a poet and playwright. "Really we know nothing about the private Shakespeare ...", so as Meredith Whitford says, in the author's post-text note, "... Might as well write fiction, then, and have some fun." Nevertheless, following the end of the book, she explains what is known about Shakespeare, and why she wrote the book the way she did. Also, there is a separate section in which she explains briefly, what is known about some of the main characters covered in the book, including Elizabeth I, the Earl of Southampton, and of course Shakespeare's family.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-26-2011 at 03:11 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #7993
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Reading Ghastly Glass (second in the Renaissance series by Joyce and Jim Lavene). Right now, the only thing I'm thinking about it is that old Hee Haw song, "If it weren't for bad luck, she'd have no luck at all.". Her boyfriend keeps catching her in compromising positions, and they keep stumbling over dead bodies. I am liking the contrast between the world of the permanent "faire" they work at/ live at part time, and the "real world". You can tell the difference too, between those who live at the faire site all the time and immerse themselves completely in it, and those who come in and work only part of the time.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #7994
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Yes, the book is historical fiction. However, following the end of the book, there is a section, in which the author explains what is known about Shakespeare. Also, there is a separate section in which she explains what is known about all the main characters covered in the book.
It does sound good. I added it to my "to look for" list.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #7995
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Just finished The Company by KJ Parker. I'm not completely sure what to think about it, nothing really big happened throughout the story but I found it hard to put down nonetheless. It was also a little bit predictable. Well, not the ending.

If you don't plan on reading this book:
Spoiler:
I like books where all the main characters die at the end

Now starting Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince. Man, those HP pbooks sure are thick. My hands will be aching this time tomorrow
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote