Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #766
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I wonder how much the four magnets in a Sage weigh?

They are annoying. I'm tempted to open it and remove them. Anyone popped open the Sage with the usual plastic pry tools?

I ordered this "kwmobile Case Compatible with Kobo Sage". Supposed to be arriving next week.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09LYQXHYH/
£12. I was ordering a load of other stuff anyway.

I'm not that fussed on a case for the Sage as I'd take the Libra or Sony PRS-350 in my pocket if travelling light.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #767
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was buying a case for the Kobo Sage, I would buy from this listing as it has some nice looking cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QKRFBQ8
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #768
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I would go with this one as an easel case is by far the best option.

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Stand-...642131011&th=1
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:02 AM   #769
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Amazon has a 15-dollar kwmobile case for the Sage which has access to the powerbutton at the back

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...19&sr=8-3&th=1
I got this one for my Sage. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #770
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I was buying a case for the Kobo Sage, I would buy from this listing as it has some nice looking cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QKRFBQ8
Bit gaudy for me. I can laser print my own custom sticky backed plastic if I wanted, but I never have.
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #771
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Some case observations:

-Most seem to be variations on a theme, mimicking the same origami design (which I don't personally like).

-Most of the solid (non-origami) covers have some insipid graphic on them, or are made from a less attractive material. I have a sheddy cat. Nubuck or other soft textured covers are fur magnets.

-I hate slip-in cases, like most of the easel cases. Why have a flat front device if you are going to put it in a frame? they are heavier and bulkier too.

-Some have less of a cutout at the ends of the hinge. I think kwmobile does a great job with this. The bigger the cutout (smaller the hinge), the more it misaligns with the edges of the device. This can cause the device to turn on unnecessarily, and waste battery power.

-Most cases, whether fabric, nylon or pleather, seem to have the same thin bonded edges on the cover flap, which are hard to use to open the cover, and which eventually get bent, or split. The few that don't, are too bulky or heavy. or are made of less desirable materials.

Finding the perfect case is a challenge, especially because everyone has a personal preference. I just wish that there were more variety in both solid covers, and design. I've always felt that Amazon always got their covers right, with the exception of the plastic origami cover for the Voyage (which was limited because of the wedge design of the device itself. I did love that it was an easel instead of book design, and connected magnetically to the device, like the official Sage cover does). Even the official covers for other Kobo models are more attractive than the black and light green available for Sage.

I have an origami kwmobile cover that I bought early on to get something on the device. It's actually nice (especially for the price), but not ideal for me due to the origami cover. I've considered ordering one of the new non-folding cases that are now available, but keep hoping that something will come out with a more attractive material, and perhaps sewn or better-molded edges. I'm ok with a book rather than easel format, as I don't think that the asymmetrical design of the device lends itself well to a vertically opening case.

I guess what I'm looking for is like this, but obviously made for Sage:

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling.../dp/B07VXD1J2K
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:02 AM   #772
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
With any case other than an easel case, how do you read while eating lunch?

Use an origami case which does not stand the device a straight 90 degrees upright, rather listing to one side or the other a few degrees? No thanks, I don't hold books crooked so why would I want my reader crooked?

Use a folder/book cover and lay the reader flat on the table? I don't lay my book flat while reading, I hold it in my hands in an easel type style and at an easel type angle.

Holding the reader isn't an option. My hands are busy with lunch. That's why I also don't read regular books while eating.

Obviously not everyone feels the same way but that's what works and doesn't work for me and why an easel option is the only choice. I wish Fintie offered their excellent case for all Kobos as their infinite adjustment is superior to the style of many other easel cases but any easel case is still almost assuredly better than any non-easel case.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:38 AM   #773
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
With any case other than an easel case, how do you read while eating lunch?

Use an origami case which does not stand the device a straight 90 degrees upright, rather listing to one side or the other a few degrees? No thanks, I don't hold books crooked so why would I want my reader crooked?

Use a folder/book cover and lay the reader flat on the table? I don't lay my book flat while reading, I hold it in my hands in an easel type style and at an easel type angle.

Holding the reader isn't an option. My hands are busy with lunch. That's why I also don't read regular books while eating.

Obviously not everyone feels the same way but that's what works and doesn't work for me and why an easel option is the only choice. I wish Fintie offered their excellent case for all Kobos as their infinite adjustment is superior to the style of many other easel cases but any easel case is still almost assuredly better than any non-easel case.
I don't read books while eating something that needs both hands. Usually I read something on my laptop while eating this kind of meal, either news or forum posts.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #774
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The Sage has EIGHT magnets!
Two at button side (smaller than the other six).
One each top and bottom
Four on edge opposite buttons.

I pried open with plastic tool from button side with soft back overhanging table so it could bend back. Then sides. Finally the far vertical edge which maybe has a little glue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sage_N778_inside.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	193921

The magnets are all glued in so it was only possible to prise out the two near the buttons as they are on plastic. The rest are in the alloy casting. IMO a stupid design as it picks up pins, paper clips etc. Can wake another reader in a sleep cover if set on top by "cancelling" out cover magnet; I've seen this. Can erase or corrupt magnetic strips on welfare or other cards or other magnetic tape.

A dumb way to add the "power back".

Adds weight.

The battery is fairly large and definitely 1200mAH! That's 1.2AH, so the less than approximately 50 minutes at 1.5A to charge makes sense.

The small PCB in the back is for the four connections to the "power" cover as well as the power/sleep button.

P.S.
Yes, still works. Some small soldering skill and any 1200mAH LiPoly that fits and has integral control PCB should do for replacement in 5 to 10 years time.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-22-2022 at 09:34 AM. Reason: PS
Old 06-12-2022, 11:39 PM   #775
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
The Sage is on sale on Kobo US site at 230 US$ from 259.

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...ucts/kobo-sage
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:49 PM   #776
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The Sage is on sale on Kobo US site at 230 US$ from 259.

https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...ucts/kobo-sage
Both the Sage and Clara are on sale. Clara: $89.99 from $119.99. Sale ends 6/16.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:51 PM   #777
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
And as was pointed out in another thread, using the code PERKOPOLIS on the checkout page gets another 10% off.

Edit: corrected code where I mixed up PARTNERS22 and PERKOPOLIS.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-13-2022 at 02:14 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:59 PM   #778
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Both the Sage and Clara are on sale. Clara: $89.99 from $119.99. Sale ends 6/16.
I have been eying the Clara HD for a while now but refusing to give in because of the hope that a Clara HD 2 will be released with E-ink Carta 1200.

I want a small ereader i can easily pocket, then use bigger ones at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And as was pointed out in another thread, using the code PERKOPOLIS22 on the checkout page gets another 10% off.
Code does not work anymore

Edit. code is PERKOPOLIS (sans 22)

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-13-2022 at 12:04 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 AM   #779
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And as was pointed out in another thread, using the code PERKOPOLIS22 on the checkout page gets another 10% off.
Oh, yes, thank you for the reminder.

NOTE: (US site) The above code is not valid but PERKOPOLIS is.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-13-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:28 AM   #780
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the $30 off and PERKOPOLIS, the Clara HD comes to $81 and the Sage comes to $207.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-13-2022 at 04:30 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote