Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #751
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Sage screen seems very similar blacks, whites and sharpness to my original Libra or to the Elipsa.
The original H2O (IR with card slot) is a little brighter without internal LEDs than any other reader I have, presumably because there is no capacitive layer. It's slightly lower resolution, but nicer than a PW3 or PW4.

The Libra is better on portability, but the Sage is closer to paperback pocket-book/mass-market size. The pen & cover is too expensive and the Libra is better value with no pen, or Elipsa is better value for writing conversion and PDFs than the Sage as it includes the pen & cover.

Sage & Elipsa closer to "finished" products with the 4.32.x April 2022 firmware.

I rarely ever use the front light on any ereader. I use the 4 x filament stick LED bulbs in the desk & bedside reading lamps.
My Libra H2O certainly had much greyer and less sharp blacks than my Sage or Libra 2. But then I never looked at any of them with the frontlight off.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #752
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
BTW, it's not strictly related to frontlight in my case, because without any, the contrast is still better on Amazon's Sage (as noticeable on the first picture provided).
JLB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #753
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. I'm thinking perhaps I'll buy a second Sage from Amazon (presumably also the French Amazon) in a couple of months and compare them. I can always sell one of them afterwards.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-19-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #754
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Interesting. I'm thinking perhaps I'll buy a second Sage from Amazon (presumably also the French Amazon) in a couple of months and compare them. I can always sell one of them afterwards.
Not the same serial number's pattern, nor marked the exact same way (one is darker/more pronounced); maybe not from the same factory ?

Fun fact : the one from Amazon was presumably in "Acceptable condition" (warehouse deal), because of alleged damages on the screen.
190 €. It was brand new (protective film still on it), but coming without anything else (which is fine for a gift, because I offer it with a fancy leather sleeve).

Last edited by JLB14; 04-19-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #755
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I got my Sage and Elipsa in the local Argos. Easier to take back later inside the year if I need to.

I did by one of our original Libras off Amazon de as it wasn't in stock.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #756
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
How many factories produce them? Why would they differ from one to another? Is it just as likely for the results to be reversed for someone else who bought one from each?
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #757
JLB14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
How many factories produce them? Why would they differ from one to another? Is it just as likely for the results to be reversed for someone else who bought one from each?
Same factory and different components, due to semiconductor shortage ?
Honestly IDK, but I hope it's not a pattern (because I'm about to change my first Sage (from Fnac), at the end of the week.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #758
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB14 View Post
Same factory and different components, due to semiconductor shortage ?
Honestly IDK, but I hope it's not a pattern (because I'm about to change my first Sage (from Fnac), at the end of the week.
Please let us know how the exchange went, as I'm considering the same.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #759
JLB14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Gladly (this week probably, or the next one)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #760
JLB14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Exchange done (easy, 10 minutes).
It was truly a good idea.
See by yourself (2nd from Amazon = left, 3rd from Fnac = right).

Bottom line :
- even whiter, in some way (colder), than the second one; both are great, and you can arguably prefer a white a bit warmer, as the one from Amazon (which is not pee yellow, as the one returned).
- uniformity seems finally fixed, both are great, again (with and without comfort light pro).
- about that last point : Amazon = orange, Fnac = reddish-orange (matter of taste, both are perfect on that point); the orange one tends to be more pronounced, more noticeable, at the same level.
- dark is a bit less dark, and text appears a tiny bit less crisp on the new one I think; but I'll have to check again, I've just done a quick verification. I'll patch it, customize it, and we'll see how it renders.
Whatever, both are good on that point (and it's clearly an improvement, if you have/had a Forma).

My advice is to check the serial number, before buying a new one (if you can), and :
- if it's N77819, or anterior (hexadecimal basis I think, so before that it's an 8, and after an A) -> don't buy it.
- if it's N7781A (as second one), N7781B (as third one), or posterior -> buy it.

Last edited by JLB14; 04-25-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #761
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB14 View Post
Exchange done (easy, 10 minutes).
It was truly a good idea.
See by yourself (2nd from Amazon = left, 3rd from Fnac = right).

Bottom line :
- even whiter, in some way (colder), than the second one; both are great, and you can arguably prefer a white a bit warmer, as the one from Amazon (which is not pee yellow, as the one returned).
- uniformity seems finally fixed, both are great, again (with and without comfort light pro).
- about that last point : Amazon = orange, Fnac = reddish-orange (matter of taste, both are perfect on that point); the orange one tends to be more pronounced, more noticeable, at the same level.
- dark is a bit less dark on the new one I think, but I'll have to check again, I've just done a quick verification. Whatever, both are good on that point (and it's clearly an improvement, if you have/had a Forma).

My advice : check the serial number, before buying a new one (if you can) :
- if it's N77819, or anterior (hexadecimal basis I think, so before that it's an 8, and after an A) -> don't buy it.
- if it's N7781A (as second one), N7781B (as third one), or posterior -> buy it.
Thank you.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #762
JLB14
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome.
Something super weird : 5 g difference, between the 2 remaining (240 VS 245 for the latest).
Maybe a variation, regarding network chips.

Last edited by JLB14; 04-25-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:14 AM   #763
JLB14
Enthusiast

After a further comparison, text appears indeed a bit less crisp, and ink a bit less dark, less Voyage-like.
That said, nothing genuinely annoying, when you're not comparing them side-by-side, and still better than my now-sold Forma.

Last edited by JLB14; 04-26-2022 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 PM   #764
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Amazon has a 15-dollar kwmobile case for the Sage which has access to the powerbutton at the back

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...19&sr=8-3&th=1
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #765
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Amazon has a 15-dollar kwmobile case for the Sage which has access to the powerbutton at the back

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...19&sr=8-3&th=1
I like some of the ones listed at $15.99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote