Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #61
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Unfortunately I stopped counting...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #62
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
117 here, and going strong. I'm hoping to reach 150, it'll be close though...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #63
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I've had a bit of a weird year so far. January and February I read 13 books combined, putting me on pace for about 78 for the year. Then I didn't read a single book in March, April, May or most of June. Since them I've read 22 books, and have been going at a 10 per month pace. At this rate I should read around 73-79 for the year. Next year I definitely want to aim for 100+, which I haven't done since I was a lot younger.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #64
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm at 160 right now, which makes me pretty nervous (my goal is to hit 250). It's doable enough, but I really need to buckle down. I may "cheat" a little and go for a lot of shorties. I'm really behind this month, I keep playing Solitaire on my iPhone which is majorly cutting into my reading time
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #65
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I may "cheat" a little and go for a lot of shorties.
My goal is to read 52 books a year (one a week). But this year I had a baby, which is eating up a lot of my time. I'm at 28 right now, and I'm concurrently reading 4 right now.

I read several books earlier in the year that would have been 800+ pages each (if I were reading the pbook version), but I've also read some YA, so I'm debating about counting PAGES instead of books and setting a goal that way so I don't need to "cheat" to meet my goal, or put off reading a really good book just because it's 1,000 pages

I'm just not sure about what kind of goal to set for pages. Maybe 500 pages per book is reasonable? Multiplied by 52 weeks is 26,000 pages. I've completed 28 books and 13,692 pages so far this year.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #66
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm at about 62 books now--audio and ebook. I'm not including cookbooks, which I've done lots of reading in lately. IDK how many I'll get to by EOY, but we will see. I'm spending extra time reading aloud to my 11yo, which is slowing my numbers down, but is totally worth it. His teacher made a goal for all the kids to read 8 books of different genres from August thru November. He's been struggling with the short story compilation of Sherlock Holmes that he picked for his "classic" book, so I've been reading it to him and discussing it.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #67
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
I'm spending extra time reading aloud to my 11yo, which is slowing my numbers down, but is totally worth it. His teacher made a goal for all the kids to read 8 books of different genres from August thru November. He's been struggling with the short story compilation of Sherlock Holmes that he picked for his "classic" book, so I've been reading it to him and discussing it.
That's so cool I can't wait until my daughter starts understanding the books I'm reading to her. Then again, once she starts understanding I'll have to stop reading all these 1,000 page fantasy novels about dragons and war and dismemberment to her...
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #68
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I am at 87 so far, so I think I can reach the 100 by the end of the year - even if I'll throw in a couple of long ones ("Under The Dome" is still waiting for me ).
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #69
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
I am at 87 so far, so I think I can reach the 100 by the end of the year - even if I'll throw in a couple of long ones ("Under The Dome" is still waiting for me ).
Good luck with that... I struggled through Under the Dome. Normally I fly through King's books, but this one just didn't do it for me. It was "only" around 1,000 pages and took me a couple weeks, but it felt like I was reading that thing for months.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #70
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Good luck with that... I struggled through Under the Dome. Normally I fly through King's books, but this one just didn't do it for me. It was "only" around 1,000 pages and took me a couple weeks, but it felt like I was reading that thing for months.
That does not sound promising . I really used to love him too in the early days.
I guess I will just apply my usual "up-to-page-50-test"; if a book has not pulled me in by then and there is no special reason to plough through anyway, it goes back on the shelf.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #71
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
That does not sound promising . I really used to love him too in the early days.
I guess I will just apply my usual "up-to-page-50-test"; if a book has not pulled me in by then and there is no special reason to plough through anyway, it goes back on the shelf.
Funny you should say that... a few of my friends who also read King (and also prefer his earlier stuff) have what we call the "King 100" rule. Since his books are typically so long, we give him a chance up to 100 pages, then if it's still uninteresting we'll usually give up.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #72
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
I'm reading a 48th eBook (50th book total, read 2 paper books) of 2010, but during march/april I mostly didn't read anything.

However, since I acquired my first eReader a year ago, October 2009, I've read 75 eBooks... Not bad

eReaders have sparked the love of reading's flame anew
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #73
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I am going to shoot for 50 by the end of the year. I rekindled my love for reading around the end of july (right around the time I bought my nook) and I've been keeping track on goodreads since then of what I've been reading. So far I'm on number 26, so I should be able to get to 50 by the end of the year.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #74
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I did it!

Managed to finish my 100th book on Friday. Now I'll have to see how many I can add to that before the end of December.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #75
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I did it!

Managed to finish my 100th book on Friday. Now I'll have to see how many I can add to that before the end of December.
Congratulations!!!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote