Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #61
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There are a few things i would never check in. Anything with a non sdd hard drive in it, my e-reader. Way to fragile.
And then, my phone and nitendo ds, becaue they can keep me buzy.

I remember a mess with "nope, you can't carry both backpack and a laptop case". I managed to get everyting in my (gladly laptop proff) backpack, and put the laptop case inside my luggage. The backpack had my harddrive with all my data on it, cheking it in was not option either.

Ah the mess that was carying books all the way to denemark, an e-reader would have helped a few things there. (Though as an expatriate, gegional restriction are even a worse mess.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There are a few things i would never check in. Anything with a non sdd hard drive in it, my e-reader. Way to fragile.
When they are switched off, hard disks are actually extremely tough. You'd need a heck of an impact to damage one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #63
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When they are switched off, hard disks are actually extremely tough. You'd need a heck of an impact to damage one.
Which can happen. And as said disk had all of my data, I would not take any chances.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #64
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Could you fit the ebook reader in a small purse?
My EZReader Pocket PRO EASILY fits in my purse, with room still for the iPhone, wallet, iPod, etc....and I don't have a large purse.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #65
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
My EZReader Pocket PRO EASILY fits in my purse, with room still for the iPhone, wallet, iPod, etc....and I don't have a large purse.
And if you're a man, just wrap an adhoc strap around your reader case. Viola, instant purse!

chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #66
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I'm flying to the US for work in 2 weeks. I'll see what's rumour and what's not . I may take with me dead-tree books, just to be on the safe side.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #67
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
I'm flying to the US for work in 2 weeks. I'll see what's rumour and what's not . I may take with me dead-tree books, just to be on the safe side.
Well, one for emergency situations wouldn't hurt. Might save you an hour staring cross-eyed into space......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Could you fit the ebook reader in a small purse?
My kindle, in its case, measures 6"x7 3/4". Thats small enough to fit in any purse. Well, any purse I buy.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #68
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Which can happen. And as said disk had all of my data, I would not take any chances.
I've dropped (obselete, I'd hasten to add - 40MB in the era of 1GB, etc.) hard disks two floors into a skip. They bounced.

But if you're flying into the US, because of their regulations on searching laptops, I'd not take much beyond a basic windows install, and I'd download my data at the other end. (Actually, I don't have a choice under the NDA's and other agreements I've signed)

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 12-29-2009 at 10:33 AM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #69
EowynCarter
Wizard

Kind of a mess.
I'll remember that if i goes to the US. At least rules from europe to europe are not that anoying.
That the kind of things that make me NOT to want to go to the US, ever.
I consider what's on my laptop personal... no one should "search it". I'll rather go back.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-29-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Kind of a mess.
I'll remember that if i goes to the US. At least rules from europe to europe are not that anoying.
That the kind of things that make me NOT to want to go to the US, ever.
I consider what's on my laptop personal... no one should "search it". I'll rather go back.
I hear you. There isn't even anything terribly sensitive on my laptop, but I still feel queasy about someone searching through it. I will be needing it, however, while traveling, so I'll have to bring it along on my trip next month. I think I might see if my brother's old laptop is in working condition and borrow his when I get to my destination if at all possible, I only REALLY need to be able to use word and Calibre.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #71
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I hear you. There isn't even anything terribly sensitive on my laptop, but I still feel queasy about someone searching through it. I will be needing it, however, while traveling, so I'll have to bring it along on my trip next month. I think I might see if my brother's old laptop is in working condition and borrow his when I get to my destination if at all possible, I only REALLY need to be able to use word and Calibre.
My laptop don't have that much on it (mainly apps), but still. And I would like to see them trying to use linux .
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #72
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
I flew from London to the US yesterday. There were no special restrictions on the last hour of the flight. However, all carry on luggage was individually searched and all passengers got a pat down search. This was done by the airline, and was in addition to the standard airport screening.

An ebook reader is perfect for these long flights. I used to bring half a dozen books with me, but now I just bring one for take off and landing plus my EZ Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #73
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
So you know Storm & Chas, then?
Yes. We're, umm... not on great terms, at the moment. We have some rather extensive philosophical & theological differences of opinion.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #74
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I would be much more apprehensive being on a flight where a member of MobileRead had his eReader taken from him than I would be sitting next to a terrorist. At least there is a chance the terrorist might change his mind but deprive one of us out-of-control Bookworms of our reader and you are in Threat Condition RED

Love the way you put 'red' in red lettering and caps - really scary, we wouldn't want to treat it as anything less than deadly serious eh?

By all accounts, this latest incident is nothing to do with inadequate measures but bears all the signs of a lapses in implementation of basic security policy.

None of the stupid new measures likely to be introduced will make people so much as one iota safer but I guess it might make some morons who unquestioningly swallow the media line of fear, fear, and more fear feel a bit safer. As another poster said, pure security theater.

As for what all this condition red BS is about, you might want to read this about some of the crap that drives the thinking behind daft security measures:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/montgomery-2/
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #75
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Most major Canadian airports have US Customs and Immigration preclearance operations. These are staffed by US CBP officers. I suspect these new rules are coming from the CBP officers.
Actually, no. The official CATSA directive was quoted over on FlyerTalk.

CBP doesn't control security, or what you can take in a carry-on vs. checked baggage. They have to clear everything you're taking into the US, no matter how you take it onto the plane.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote