Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #61
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I agree I'm currently reading it on my Q7 and it's great
Glad to hear you like Leapfrog. I know I'll be happy camper when the sequel drops. I just wish great books like this would get a little more press.
KevisHendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #62
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevisHendrickson View Post
Glad to hear you like Leapfrog. I know I'll be happy camper when the sequel drops. I just wish great books like this would get a little more press.
Do you know when will it be released?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #63
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No. But I emailed the author once to find out. And he says he's about halfway through writing the sequel. My guess is that it probably won't be published until next year. I'll say this, whether or not the sequel ever gets released, someone should really look into making Leapfrog into a feature film. I'd be there on opening night!

Last edited by KevisHendrickson; 06-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.
KevisHendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #64
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Funny to see that Orson Scott Card has been mentioned several times, but people brought up different books. One of my favorite books all-time is Orson Scott Card's Songmaster. The main character of the book is a boy exceptionally talented for singing, which will perfect song learning to such an extent that he can influence other people's emotions. The book is very well written and both very interesting and deeply moving.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #65
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Calculating God by Robert J Sawyer

http://www.amazon.com/Calculating-Go.../dp/0812580354

So an alien and a paleontologist walk into a bar...

Seriously though, I really enjoyed this book. An alien ship lands at Royal Canadian Museum and asks to speak to a paleontologist. The book is basically a dialog between the two, debating the existence of a creator of the universe.
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #66
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Funny to see that Orson Scott Card has been mentioned several times, but people brought up different books. One of my favorite books all-time is Orson Scott Card's Songmaster. The main character of the book is a boy exceptionally talented for singing, which will perfect song learning to such an extent that he can influence other people's emotions. The book is very well written and both very interesting and deeply moving.
anything by Card is good. doesn't matter what its about.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #67
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Funny to see that Orson Scott Card has been mentioned several times, but people brought up different books. One of my favorite books all-time is Orson Scott Card's Songmaster. The main character of the book is a boy exceptionally talented for singing, which will perfect song learning to such an extent that he can influence other people's emotions.
Do you think the premise of the book was inspired by Asimov's Foundation? I can never distinguish between the books, but I remember the character Falon in one of the Foundations could do this with an instrument...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby
anything by Card is good. doesn't matter what its about.
Completely agree. I thought the Worthing Saga was amazing, too. And to make my post on-topic, that's the book I'll recommend for this thread.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Do you think the premise of the book was inspired by Asimov's Foundation? I can never distinguish between the books, but I remember the character Falon in one of the Foundations could do this with an instrument...
I only have the dimmest memories of the foundation books (and unfortunately, also only vague recollections of Songmasters, I have a very bad memory for books, which is why I read the ones I like several times).

But I don't think the two books are really related, the character in Songmaster has somehow to empathise with people he sings to, and must exert a strong discipline to stay in the right state of mind to be able to sing, which is different from manipulating people with an instrument.

Concerning Card, I was a huge fan of his, but after some times his books began to not seem so great to me. The Earthcoming series was pleasant to read but did not leave a strong mark on me, and I stopped reading mid-ways through the Alvin Maker series.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #69
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I loved the alvin Maker series. its left a bigger impression upon me then the ender series.

although individually. I liked the enders series book better. but as a whole the Alvin Maker series makes me think and I love it. when I close my eyes, the alvin maker world comes alove.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #70
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Marseguro by Edward Willett

I just finished reading the rather good Marseguro by Edward Willett. Every now and again you come across a story that draws you in and makes you care about what is happening to the characters. I am looking forward to reading the sequel Terra Insegura.

Author's description
Water world Marseguro is home to the Selkies, a water-dwelling race created from human DNA. When an unmodified human seeks revenge on a Selkie by activating a distress beacon taken from the remains of the original colony ship, a strikeforce is sent from Earth to eradicate the genetic abomination. Yet Marseguro will not prove as easy to conquer as the Earth force anticipates…
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #71
Sam Landstrom
Zealot
Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sam Landstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here are a few classics I really love:
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Dune series by Frank Herbert except for the last one. That one just got wierd IMO.
Sam Landstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #72
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kirinyaga by Mike Resnick

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8...-Resnick/?si=0

"Hailed for his grandeur of imagination and superb worldbuilding, winner of and nominee for more than fifty awards for his outstanding work, Mike Resnick has rightfully won a place as one of science fiction's master storytellers. Now, in Kirinyaga, Resnick presents the haunting and utterly compelling tale of one man's utopia.By the twentieth second century in the African nation of Kenya, polluted cities sprawl up the flanks of sacred Mount Kirinyaga. Great animal herds are but distant memories. European crops now grow on the sweeping savannas. But Koriba, a distinguished, educated man of Kikuyu ancestry, knows that life was different for his people centuries ago--and he is determined to build a utopian colony, not on earth, but on the terraformed planetoid he proudly names Kirinyaga.As the mundumugu--witch doctor--Koriba leads the colonists. Reinstating the ancient customs and stringent laws of the Kikuyu people, he alone decides their fate. He must face many challenges to the struggling colony's survival: from a brilliant young girl whose radiant intellect could threaten their traditional ways to the interference of "Maintenance" which holds the power to revoke the colony's charter. All the while, only Koriba--unbeknownst to his people--maintains the computer link to the rest of humanity.Ironically, the Kirinyaga experiment threatens to collapse--not from violence or greed--but from humankind's insatiable desire for knowledge. The Kikuyu people can no more stand still in time than their planet can stop revolving around its sun.Deeply moving, swiftly paced, and profound in its implications, Kirinyaga is Mike Resnick's most triumphant work to date. His Fable of Utopia is the book every science fiction reader will want to own and savor for years to come."
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #73
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I loved the alvin Maker series. its left a bigger impression upon me then the ender series.

although individually. I liked the enders series book better. but as a whole the Alvin Maker series makes me think and I love it. when I close my eyes, the alvin maker world comes alove.
And yet I can't find them in ebook format. I feel guilty buying actual books when I have so many to read on my Cybook...
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #74
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
And yet I can't find them in ebook format. I feel guilty buying actual books when I have so many to read on my Cybook...
I don't think the Alvin Maker series are available legally, but there are plenty of pirated copies around. In fact, the Alvin Maker series (the ones around at the time) were one of the first series to show up on the modern book pirating networks.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #75
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
The Mote In God's Eye (and the follow-up, The Gripping Hand) by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Possibly one of the most important works of sci-fi to exist.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote