Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Compressibility really depends on the format, doesn't it? Plain text/HTML files tend to compress pretty well. ePubs are technically just renamed zips, and trying to compress an already compressed file just tends to produce overhead. And PDF depends on how well-optimized it is in the first place.
RAR can sometimes get more compression from ZIP depending on how the ZIP is compressed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:42 AM   #62
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but think that attempting to zip things is pointless. Maybe a simple tar of the library makes more sense
You can create zip files without compression. I think it might also be possible to compress certain file types but use no compression for others. zip, tar, rar, etc, the point is just to archive so Google Drive doesn't mess with the filenames.

Mind, metadata.opf files are highly compressible. I've got tons of custom columns so those tend to be bloated for me. I've done some solid RAR archives of my library and iirc, they compressed higher than expected.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-18-2021 at 01:48 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 AM   #63
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
RAR can sometimes get more compression from ZIP depending on how the ZIP is compressed.
7Z has even better compression than RAR. But RAR has recovery records.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
7Z has even better compression than RAR. But RAR has recovery records.
That's why I didn't suggest 7z.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:13 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My suggestion is to compress with ZIP and RAR and see how they do. But you ave to remember to set both for the best compression.
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 11:04 PM   #66
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Assuming menu options haven't changed significantly from 3.38 (on Windows 7)

Preferences -> Adding books -> Adding actions -> Auto-merge added books if they already exist ->
a. Ignore duplicate incoming formats
b. Overwrite existing duplicate formats

If you're copying from backup library to original for merging, option a. keeps the copy from original library (if it exists) and option b. keeps the copy from the backup library.

With that said, I don't know how metadata gets handled when merging. Tags, etc. are likely fine but long text such as comments might get appended. It might be better to just delete the empty entries from the original library first before copying from the backup library.

I updated to the latest Calibre version today (v5.10.1) and the relevant section is still the same. (Please refer to attached screenshot.).

In the next few days, I plan to test this out.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AddingBooks.png
Views:	116
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	184893  
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #67
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my previous comment's screenshot of the "Adding actions" dialog window, there is a checkmark in the box for "Auto-merge added books if they already exist". But that was just for the screenshot.

I actually currently have my Calibre to not auto-merge added books. When I do add books which Calibre thinks are duplicates, Calibre provides a prompt and asks me if I want to add the newly added (but duplicate) books or not. I noted it doesn't ask me if I want to merge or how to merge.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:41 AM   #68
droopy
Guru

SOLVED

I solved my problem. I got a 2TB portable hard drive.

I have moved my calibre library to the capacious drive.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:00 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I solved my problem. I got a 2TB portable hard drive.

I have moved my calibre library to the cThat apacious drive.
That definitely solves the problem.